HID Projector Required???

S27JOH

I am looking at getting some H.I.D's for my car, will I need a projector lense for them to work?

Thanks Alot

S27JOH

OK, thanks alot, Just a few mates said you needed them? So what do they do? The projecter lense that is ...

fr-tdi

Detailing freak!
Feb 7, 2008
fife, scotland
normal oem xenons are 4000k and pretty yellow looking the projector part of the headlight gives the oem xenon its bluey/purple tint and its spread.

h.i.d's are xenons but usually are 6000k so that a blueish oem looking tint is acheived without the glass orb projector part.

the higher the amount of K the more into purple you get evetually into ultra violet

eg

4000k yellowy white
6000k ice whitey blue
8000k bluey purple
10000k purple
12000k purple/violet and unusable on the road imo.

Last edited:

fr-tdi

Detailing freak!
Feb 7, 2008
fife, scotland
ColorChart1.jpg

kelvin comparison chart.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
normal oem xenons are 4000k and pretty yellow looking the projector part of the headlight gives the oem xenon its bluey/purple tint and its spread.

h.i.d's are xenons but usually are 6000k so that a blueish oem looking tint is acheived without the glass orb projector part.

the higher the amount of K the more into purple you get evetually into ultra violet

eg

4000k yellowy white
6000k ice whitey blue
8000k bluey purple
10000k purple
12000k purple/violet and unusable on the road imo.

Your right that its the projector lens that gives the HIDs these slightly off-axis colours - but that projector lens also gives filament lamp equipped projector lens light that same off-axis colour spectrum. The main issue with using HID light sources with reflector type light units seems to be the probability that the uncontrolled glare of bright light will blind on-coming motorists. That is why most international regulations demand that these light sources are only used with the correct "out-putting" optics.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.