HID's "As good as driving in Daylight!" I'm not so sure.

Cupra2505

Hello Everyone,

Fitted my HID's last weekend on the recommendation of a lot of people on this forum. As recommended I chose the 6000k ones and along with the LED sidelights they look fantastic. I can't argue that point.

However, I know I have read from other members that they are as good as driving in daylight. Well, I'm sorry to say, I don't really agree. The light cast out is just a bit too blue for my liking.

Now, has anyone fitted either 5000K or 4300k to get a whiter light? I think if I was to go down the route of these bulbs, the vision would be better.

Also, if I buy just the bulbs how to do come, all wires connected, new rubber grommet? Do I have to feed all the connections through the bubber grommet or do they come with a new gromment that I can use to replace my original?

Your help, guidance and opinions are all welcome, and I look forward to reading them.

Cheers,
Cupra2505.

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
It depends where you look for info some sites say 4100k is the most pure white light and others say 5000k.

HIDS4U have a good write up where they have done tests with light meters. They reckon most OEM set-ups are 4300k but look blue because of the prism effect when the light goes through the projector lens. They seem to recommend 5000k for conversions for a white light with no blue tint.

Last edited:

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Daylight is between 5000K and 5500K so HID bulbs with a rating of 5000K should give you the same quality/temperature of light as you would get during the day... 6000K is a bit out tbh and will be slightly more blue - especialy if you've been used to the normal lamps

It might just be that you need a bit longer to get used to it? After seeing the yellow of standard lamps for so long it could take a while to adjust... bit like if you've ever changed from a CRT moniter to a flat LCD screen - the LCD can look almost convex for a while as your brain has got used to adjusting/correcting for convex surface of the old moniter!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
The 5000k lights are so white, mine dont seem to have any blue in them at all. When it's dark (which is most of the time lately), they do light up the road fantastically !

Mar 5, 2007
What sort of mong would say it's like driving in daylight. 200watts of lighting does not a daylight make!

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Don't think they meant it's like driving in daylight. Unless they're stupid.

Might have meant the "daylight temperature".

In photography, this is the temperature of outdoors light - which is about 5600k

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
EH?
Don't think so Rebel, they were meaning the light from the HIDs is great, crisp, clear and very good spread, as in it light up the road as if it were day!
I'm pleased and i've only heard of 1 person not being happy and that was the beam pattern, not the light, but i think this was due to bulb seating.
Was it the ones which i recommended from diane-shop on ebay?

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
I had 6000k on my ibiza cupra it was blue from a distance (so i was told) as you got closer it goes white. Im not sure about the 5000k ones but the 6000k lit up white signs, white stripes in the roads etc really really well and didnt dazzle any drivers afaik. When I parked up at night and turned them on the road looked as it did during the day if thats what he means by same as daylight.