High Temp Reading/Coolant Loss/Lower Power?

vernam616

Hello hoping someone can help me out :(

Bought the Leon FR TDi in september 2009, by christmas eve 2009 turbo had blown and hydrualiclly locked the engine :(, the car is only 4 years old with 50 k on it !!

Anyway i sourced a bare engine with a claimed 65k on and got my trusted mechanic to fit it all with my exisiting ancillaries + a new turbo.

Ever since getting the car back ive had a couple of issues

1. doesnt feel as powerful as original engine does, feels like the boost is coming on and off :confused:

mechanic had it on the diagnostic machine (as the light was displayed) and it read this code
PO761 & PO763 - Shift Solenoid ( ive searched for this on google and only seems to be a problem on auto cars ?? )
he knows quite a lot about VAGs and says hes never seen this code before, anyone on here know it?

2. temp gauge is reading on the 90 degree but towards the top of it, whereas before it used to read bang on centre

3. got the car up to operating temperature today and pulled up waiting for the mechanic and as i was waiting (with engine running) instead of the temperature rising it dropped right to 60 degrees over a period of 10 minutes !?!?

4. mechanic checked coolant and it was below the minimum level and he sourced the leak to the seal on the coolant temp sensor, so that was replaced and topped back up
however upon coming home after using the car and letting it cool down the level was back down to MIN

Can anyone help me out?

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You are talking about a 2wd leon are you not? i say so because these codes:

PO761 & PO763 - Shift Solenoid

Both refer to a shift solenoid on a 4wd system, a solenoid that helps to select between certain gears.

vernam616

Also if the boost is on and off but you have a new turbo it could be a MAF or boost control solenoid problem you have.

Thanks for the reply mate

I'm at wits end with this ****ing car now, I'm prepared to sell as it is for 6200.... Any takers ????

And yes its a 2WD leon, the replacment engine was from golf gttdi with ARL engine code

k3nny

Thanks for the reply mate

I'm at wits end with this ****ing car now, I'm prepared to sell as it is for 6200.... Any takers ????

And yes its a 2WD leon, the replacment engine was from golf gttdi with ARL engine code

alright dan! still having problems with that car! should of kept the gti 6 mate

vernam616

Right i think i may have found my coolant problem....

after having a drive today i thought id check to see if there was any pressure released from the coolant resevoir cap... and no not a bit, so i started the search for a leak and managed to pinpoint it to a area around the coolant temp sensor..... strange as the sensor was off yesterday and seal replaced and its still pissing out

anyone else had a problem in this area?

ill attach a photo allbeit a **** one taken from my phone

coolant.jpg

vernam616

If its still leaking from that area then its likely that the plastic coolant housing on the side of the head is cracked in some way.

the cable tie looks old, and i watched him put the new seal etc.. on and never seen a tie being used, + by the looks of it the cable tie is only holding the multiplug onto the sensor maybe because of clip snapped?

and the housing looks as if its been cracked and a peice missing, but it doesnt look plastic :confused:, looks more like alloy/part of the block

would this also cause it to sit the higher end of 90 degrees on the temp gauge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.