Hottuning / Ta Technix Coilovers - Fitting problems?

LeekFR

I fitted these mickey mouse TA technix coilovers on the weekend, i have fitted the cone at the top of the page because they can't be fitted any other way.

The problem is the diameter of the top of the spring on the new coilovers is so much smaller it will not fit onto no. 2 in the diagram, where as the factory spring is about 20mm wider at the top. (Maybe this isn't the case with MK3 ibiza's)

Also the over problem with that cone is it's aluminium, and the factory top mount bearing is steel, it's going to corrode over time anyway. I just think you get what you pay for, I only paid £180 for the kit anyway, i didn't really expect much.

I will hopefully get some top mount bearings made in the machine shop to suit the springs in this kit if anyone is interested.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
Right, i have springs, the cones sit on top of the springs, the cone then pushes and sits inside of the bearing, this then pushes into the rubber mount (along with a plastic bush), all bolted onto the shocker, thats how i did mine, and they are fine and correct. So NO, the cones dont need to be taken out! the spring sits on the cone, to which the cone presses into the inner circumference of the bearing. Job Done.

LeekFR

I agree, but that's exactly how PH1L NI's were fitted and look what's happened to the cone. I am yet to have any problems, only time will tell.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
ah well its the correct way, i put plenty of grease on mine, if they wear away il make my own on the lathe, and be a very unhappy customer :p

LeekFR

same as, plenty of grease, if it wears away get some made, life is simple!

antnee

I agree, but that's exactly how PH1L NI's were fitted and look what's happened to the cone. I am yet to have any problems, only time will tell.

Phil's didn't have any bearing, he had the cone straight onto the top mount.

Just out of interest, did anyone get 2 sets of springs for theirs?

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
ahhh no wonder they wore like that then!!

as in a set of helper springs then a set of the harder ones?

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
I had these before, and the problem is if you try to assemble them properly, so from the floor up; spring, cone, bearing, top mount - the shock isn't long enough to bolt up, even with the spring fully compressed. So I had mine without the bearing, just resting the cone inside the topmount. Not the best solution, but it sort of worked.

However now I've changed to g-max's I've realised that the cone isn't required, as like the OEM setup, the spring fits straight onto the bearing. The problem with the TA coilovers is that the spring is the wrong size and will not fit. It seems that these coilovers are exactly the same as the ones sold for the golf/a3/leon chassis. However nothing seems to be taken into account in that the top of our suspension assembly is completely different.

In short, don't buy the TA/Hot tuning coilovers, no matter what the claim they will not fit these cars...

antnee

Someone needs to email TA Technix to let them know if thats the case.

Mine (although for the Mk3) came with 2 sets of main springs for the front

antnee said:
Sorted the springs out today

They were like this

DSC00608.jpg

but should of been like this

DSC00609.jpg

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yeh thats how they should come, the spring should be considerably larger diameter than it is.

I don't know if everyone has had this problem with the TA coilovers but it does seem to be an awful lot of people who they didn't fit smoothly for....

antnee

Just had a look at the big thread about the TA/hottuning ones, some people have got the right springs, others haven't.

If you have/getting some may be worth contacting TA Technix to see if they will send you the correct springs

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Sorted the springs out today

They were like this

DSC00608.jpg
This looks like a typical competition spring setup with a helper spring. Take a look at the KW Variant 2 & 3 coilovers photos here, looks similar.
but should of been like this
DSC00609.jpg
This looks like a progressively wound spring that's been adapted to fit on competition coilovers. Not normally done in racing as you need to get the progression of the spring right per-circuit else it becomes fairly pointless.

Could they simply provide normal non-progressive competition springs & progressively wound road springs for the dampers? Considering how much a cheap pair of competition springs are (£30 a pair retail!) they may just throw them as an example spring.

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
That looks like what they're doing then. Like I said I'm fairly sure the ones they sell as for the beezas are the same as the Leon ones. So looks as though they're just including an additional progressive spring to combat the fact the other springs dont fit our bearings lol

antnee

The red springs were a lot stiffer than the whites (went just like a gokart with them on though!! :D )

I received mine in a big box, each of the coilovers then in thin boxes with those 2 springs loose, so I thought they were free :happy:

Rosco906

Aug 17, 2006
Burntisland, Scotland
I've got them on my beeza and fitted ok no probs

Bearing in mind how low did u go?did u upgrade all other bushs as someone mentioned?

If the car is going on a track then I widnt buy cheap coilovers. I bought mines as I wanted it low.low is what I got.

I've read before that upgradn to cupra bushs would be better for the wishbones

Rosco906

Aug 17, 2006
Burntisland, Scotland
I've got them on my beeza and fitted ok no probs

Bearing in mind how low did u go?did u upgrade all other bushs as someone mentioned?

If the car is going on a track then I widnt buy cheap coilovers. I bought mines as I wanted it low.low is what I got.

I've read before that upgradn to cupra bushs would be better for the wishbones

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
The red springs were a lot stiffer than the whites (went just like a gokart with them on though!! :D )

I received mine in a big box, each of the coilovers then in thin boxes with those 2 springs loose, so I thought they were free :happy:

Sounds like competition v's road springs. Give you an idea, 200lb is a reasonable 2.25" spring rate for road use on my Panda but for track running you're looking at +275lb spring rates.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
I had these before, and the problem is if you try to assemble them properly, so from the floor up; spring, cone, bearing, top mount - the shock isn't long enough to bolt up, even with the spring fully compressed. So I had mine without the bearing, just resting the cone inside the topmount. Not the best solution, but it sort of worked.

However now I've changed to g-max's I've realised that the cone isn't required, as like the OEM setup, the spring fits straight onto the bearing. The problem with the TA coilovers is that the spring is the wrong size and will not fit. It seems that these coilovers are exactly the same as the ones sold for the golf/a3/leon chassis. However nothing seems to be taken into account in that the top of our suspension assembly is completely different.

In short, don't buy the TA/Hot tuning coilovers, no matter what the claim they will not fit these cars...
sounds like you got the wrong set, my friend has a leon, and are a totaly different setup as the ARB fits onto the bottom arm on the leon, not via drop links onto the strut itself. The cone is required on the TA coilovers as it sits home inside of the bearing, giving smooth operation, if you tried to fit the springs straight onto the bearing (anyone with an engineering mind) would notice that it does not sit home correctly and has alot of movement. So overall the TA tecnix coilovers, provided you have the correct ones for your car, DO FIT correctly, and with the helper springs, springs, cone, bearing and rubber top mount will all fit over the coilover and can be tightened down with ease. If anyone is unsure or thinks im wrong, your more then welcome to come and look at my set up!!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.