How do I reset the engine management light?

higginm

Does anyone know a quick way to reset the engine management light on a 2003 Ibiza 1.2 without using VAG software?

Thanks.

grahamib

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins. Dont forget to have your radio code to hand

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Does anyone know a quick way to reset the engine management light on a 2003 Ibiza 1.2 without using VAG software?

Thanks.

Take it for a dealer and get them to do it? It will just come back on again until it's cleared/fixed anyway.

higginm

Take it for a dealer and get them to do it? It will just come back on again until it's cleared/fixed anyway.
I just want it switched off, and if it comes back on then I'll get a full diagnostic done.

But the dealers want £60 and will undoubtedly find plenty of things that need fixed (but don't really) and which may stop the light coming back on but which may not.

Which seems steep for 30 seconds work with a laptop.

So I just want a quick and easy way to turn it off. If it comes back on I'll need to see them I suppose.

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Could try find someone on here local to you with VAGcom.

A lot of members would be more than willing to help in exchange for beer tokens.

Think the best place to post would be under the diagnostics section, where i believe there is a requests section.

higginm

Thanks for everyones help, I found a local guy that came out and read the codes and switched it off for me for £30.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What fault codes were logged? Do you know that you can buy a code reader/clearer for about that money from Gendan and it covers all pre and post CAN VAG cars? Also did you know that the light will go out by itself after the car has been started 6 or 7 times after the last time the fault existed - but the code will still be held in the relevant controller's memory?

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
What fault codes were logged? Do you know that you can buy a code reader/clearer for about that money from Gendan and it covers all pre and post CAN VAG cars? Also did you know that the light will go out by itself after the car has been started 6 or 7 times after the last time the fault existed - but the code will still be held in the relevant controller's memory?

not always true about it going off, when mine ahad a egr fault the little bugger come on and stayed on despite being driven probally 20odd time before it got to the dealers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
not always true about it going off, when mine ahad a egr fault the little bugger come on and stayed on despite being driven probally 20odd time before it got to the dealers

Yes, but I would guess that your fault had become a "hard" fault - not a transient fault. I think when the EGR valve gives trouble it usually needs removing and cleaning before it is cured and the fault has gone.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members