How to adjust windscreen washers?

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
The thread title says it all, really.

I've got one that points a little bit too low, and the other is a bit too high. The handbook says that a "special tool" is required, and you have to go to a dealer. :doh:

This is a practical joke, isn't it? To see how many numpties actually go to their dealer to get the washers tweaked?

So how do you do it? Am I missing something obvious?

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
The washers on the MkIV Ibiza are unlike any that I've seen before. They're a weird molded plastic thing that squirts out in a fan shape. I'm not convinced the classic sewing pin trick is gonna work...

Edit: I've just gone to look at the car to check I'm not being a complete wally, and I can confirm that the sewing pin is definitely not the answer. It's too dark to take a picture now to show you what I mean, but there are no conventional nozzles to poke anything into - just a vaguely rectangular plastic shape that doesn't seem to want to move, and feels flimsy enough to break if you push too hard.

Last edited:

Small

Aug 23, 2003
Bournemouth
Visit site
IIRC these can only be adjusted by a stealer with a 'special' tool. Might have read it the hand book somewhere. They are definitely not adjustable with a sewing pin like traditional washer nozles.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Well, you're correct: that is definitely what it says in the manual - but I find it hard to believe. I'll have a go at applying a little more pressure to it tomorrow. I refuse to believe that this can only be done by a dealer with a special tool - surely somebody must have figured out a way of doing it themselves?

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Im sorry to dig up an old thread (but it shows some of us know how to use the search facility). Has it been decided that this IS a dealer only task? Mine started off low and have ended up even lower in only 10days. At this rate i'll be cleaning kerbs before long.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the pin trick wont work but you can move the plastic directors if you push hard. what isnt plastic on these ibizas:lol:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
lol! maybe that aint plastic but interior and engine wise the ibiza is covered in cheap in most caases platic the only dislike about the ibiza i have! how did you scratch ur motor?? :doh:

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members