How to get better mpg from 170 FR TDi

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Defo what Andy said, if I am in a particularly hilly area such as the lake district I will take my car out of "D" and take manual control, but always gentle on the throttle and only holding circa 2k-2.5k revs if cold. If the DSG did it's thing it would just change down to a higher gear to be efficient, but I think it will labour the engine more than necessary when cold.

Also the DSG box in D/Economical mode changes at 2k and cruises around 1300-1500 rpm at lower speeds so I guess that is the most efficient way to drive these engines if you were in a manual too. If you are more aggressive with your throttle inputs it will change at 3k or rev out foot to floor.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
My commute is 30 miles on motorways, I've found the engine is more fuel efficient when on boost. Anything between 70-80mph returns 50mpg (ish), depending on the terrain. Above and below that speed range it isn't as good.

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
I find mine is poor on fuel, and seem to smell while on tick over, around town I see 33-37mpg
And on a run 70-80mph I am getting 40-45mpg. Not great at all!

Luke

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Park it on the drive, get the bus to work. You'll save pounds on fuel & tyres etc. Or, strip out all the passenger seats to save weight. Chuck the air con out and the heater. Drive in your shreddies. Fit 135 tyres and blow em up to 50 psi. Go on a diet. Ditch the spare and the jack.
Polish the paint to reduce drag. Shave your head. Or just drive the bl##dy thing and enjoy it. Its a 170bhp car, petrol or diesel if you were looking for economy buy a moped. :D

Last edited:

aidiewright

Seat Leon FR 170
Oct 20, 2013
East Yorkshire, Driffield
Do people stick put it in 6th when doing 50? Might sits at around 1500rpm and it just seems as though it struggles just a little bit...

If I just get a DPF delete without removing the DPF, Will I still see these gains?

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Do people stick put it in 6th when doing 50? Might sits at around 1500rpm and it just seems as though it struggles just a little bit...

If I just get a DPF delete without removing the DPF, Will I still see these gains?

Definately yes DPF restric exhaust gases flow ...

There is few stages for DPF removal

Stage 0 - DPF gutted no performance gains
Stage 1 DPF gutted around 200bhp
Stage 2 DPF gutted around 210-215bhp bit smokey
Stage 2+ DPF gutted around 220-225bhp loads of smoke ...

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
About £1000 per year. Based on spirited/town driving so said 26mpg for the cupras and 37mpg for the 170s.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

mcmanus1806

Dec 31, 2013
I see most people are disagreeing with what i originally say which is change before 1500rpm, which i agree, the flywheel will probably die, however on a motorway run, at 54 in 6th which is bang on 1500rpm i average 82mpg :)
and i live in wales, which if anybody knows its not exactly flat, anywhere haha!

I drive economically as possible, and was changing at 200 but was struggling to get above 36mpg around town, now i get about 48+ changing before 1500, but i beleive dpf removal is next, what is the proper way of doing it?

i know some friends, who could do a cheap job for me and cut it out, and replace it and weld pipe into place?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I see most people are disagreeing with what i originally say which is change before 1500rpm, which i agree, the flywheel will probably die, however on a motorway run, at 54 in 6th which is bang on 1500rpm i average 82mpg :)
and i live in wales, which if anybody knows its not exactly flat, anywhere haha!

I drive economically as possible, and was changing at 200 but was struggling to get above 36mpg around town, now i get about 48+ changing before 1500, but i beleive dpf removal is next, what is the proper way of doing it?

i know some friends, who could do a cheap job for me and cut it out, and replace it and weld pipe into place?

82mpg?

No f**king way!!!!

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Downhill with a tail wind?? And the engine off?

You may be right but when considering whole vehicle wear/condition, labouring the engine at such low revs possibly isn't so good.

And the DPF removal isn't as simple as that. It needs removing and remapping (not necessarily for more power, but nevertheless it needs some adjustments making). On top of that you need a company that will do it right and need to consider MOT implications coming in this year.

There's loads of threads about it on here. And I mean LOADS.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Downhill with a tail wind?? And the engine off?

You may be right but when considering whole vehicle wear/condition, labouring the engine at such low revs possibly isn't so good.

And the DPF removal isn't as simple as that. It needs removing and remapping (not necessarily for more power, but nevertheless it needs some adjustments making). On top of that you need a company that will do it right and need to consider MOT implications coming in this year.

There's loads of threads about it on here. And I mean LOADS.

So you're not averaging 82mpg then? U just get that while going down a hill with engine off?

Couldn't be bothered with the hassle

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
I wouldn't be changing up to the next gear below 2k rpm, as mentioned, the DMF will probably bite the dust first followed closely by the DPF. Next on the list could be the turbo but they are better made than they were years ago. When the engine is cold, I find the best way to warm it up and avoid labouring it is to keep the revs below half of it's maximum possible (ie. if your engine can rev to 5k rpm, keep it below 2.5k rpm, 7k rpm max, below 3.5k rpm etc) and no more than 50% throttle.

I don't complain about the MPG in my FR550, not compared to my Focus ST225!:blink:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members