I can't get my wheels off !!!

DanLewis1991

Apr 22, 2009
Newport
hey guys, just went to go out and paint my brake drums but i cant get my back wheels off, they are stuck solid!
ive obviously taken all the bolts out but its still jammed! tried giving it a slight hit with a rubber mallet and that didnt shift it either..
theres like a metal plate in the centre of the wheel that seems to be holding it on? any ideas how to get it off? cheers dan

DanLewis1991

Apr 22, 2009
Newport
25s0gt1.jpg

ibiza_adam

Jun 25, 2009
They will prob be rusted on. If you keep giving the tyre a bit of a wack from behind on both the left and right hand side, eventually will come off. What sort of jack you got it on? Don't go belting it on a scissor jack!lol

HTH

PH1L NI

Agnew SEAT
Jan 6, 2009
Northern Ireland
www.modmedia.co.uk
This is normal if the wheel has not been taken off for a while. I used my 'persuasion stick' aka a big **** off bit of wood to smack it a few times lol. Doesn't happen anymore because my wheels are always off.

Good luck and hope you are doing them black any other colour looks gash and just highlights the absense of rear disk brakes.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
When I first had to change my right rear, I got my cousin's other half to fix it for me. He put it on stands, then lay down and kicked the sidewalls at either side with the soles of his feet to get the damn thing off. Use some copper grease before you put it back on, which should help in future.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Put your wheel bolts back in till they are tight, unscrew them by about 5 revolutions, then push/drive forwards and backwards a few times.
Then should come off as they should.

Apply copper grease to prevent it happening again.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
What I do is get the wheels spinning as fast as I can by hand while up in the air, then slam the handbrake on. Do that a few times and eventually the rust will crack and the wheel will fall off. Have something soft on the ground so the face of the alloy doesn't get damaged.

That centre plate that you can see is the bearing cover, it's not actually holding the wheel on even if it looks like it.

Aimez

Yes make sure you have something for the wheel to fall on better yet someone else standing there. I am small and weak and a mallet wasn't working, I put mine on axle stands and used a spare wheel to bash it from the inside a few time turned the wheel and tried again. Took alot of effort but it worked eventually. I had already tried driving slowly with loose wheel bolts and putting the car down on the it loose as well to no avail! I then took them off again a few weeks later and it was easier (used copper grease when I put them back on. It is stupid tyre places over torquing the wheels. Don't get copper grease or WD40 where the wheel bolts go it is dangerous to have them greasy.

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
As already mentioned by someone above... Put your bolts back in hand tight, lower car to ground and remove jack etc. then just drive it a few feet. Turning the car in a circle is sometimes the best method. This is guaranteed to break the seal between wheel and hub.

Aimez

As already mentioned by someone above... Put your bolts back in hand tight, lower car to ground and remove jack etc. then just drive it a few feet. Turning the car in a circle is sometimes the best method. This is guaranteed to break the seal between wheel and hub.

Not on rear wheels didn't work for me! Mine were welded on! They were air gunned on after being newly powder coated they didn't wanna budge!

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Not on rear wheels didn't work for me! Mine were welded on! They were air gunned on after being newly powder coated they didn't wanna budge!

EEEK!

Got mine powder coated last summer! Lets hope they are OK to get off come the MOT next month!

Emmm. Think I might just make sure sure and remove one of the rears myself when I have a minute.

There's always something exciting (exciting?) just round the corner :)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They certainly "should do", to check pad thickness and state of disks. Though I have my suspicions that some garages don't!

I have NEVER seen the wheels removed from any car for the MOT.

The MOT tests are designed to be carried out without removing any parts of the car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members