I want Digital DAB radio in my Mk 2 Leon FR

K362

Ok so I have the MK 2 leon with standard head unit that comes with the car and I have the IPOD adapter under my seat which can be controlled through the head unit or the steering wheel. Is there something that Seat sell that can give me Digital radio without losing or replacing my current setup? I have seen those highway DAB units that mount to the windscreen like a tom tom but I dont like those things. Any help please? Thanks

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
DAB is a bit rubbish at the best of times, you're much better sticking with FM, it's more robust in terms of signal and offers better audio quality. DAB broadcast uses comparably low bit rates to FM, Classic FM (or it might be Radio 3?) is one of the exceptions I believe, if that's your thing it might be worthwhile, but if not I'd steer clear.

Just my opinion anyways... :)

rbmike

Feb 10, 2010
ive been thinking about DAB for a while somethin i dont get tho, when they switch of terestrial TV and we all have to b digital what will happen to FM radio stations

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The current plan as far as I'm aware is for FM to be switched off around 2015. It may slip to later in the decade, but its not being seen as a popular plan so expect whichever government gets into power may revise its choice. Its also been widely seen as scaremongering tactics, to get people to invest in DAB.

But then the millions they make from selling off the airwaves makes a strong case the other way..from their point of view at least.

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I had a pioneer DAB set up for years and drove from Landsend to Inverness with no problems at all. The only place it didnt work was in Matlock where they cant even get freeview!
If you have a dedicated DAB aerial you should have no problems. As for FM sounding better, does it really matter when your driving 70 mph with wind and road noise?

DSG keith

seat media system 2.2 came with car, did 200 miles today dab did'nt miss a beat

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Looks like I'll have to put up with the shocking selection on FM for many years to come.
When you do alot of driving you realise how little choice there is. Plenty of easy listening and classic music if you're into that sort of thing!

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Im looking on Ebay for another RCD510 with DAB to try fitting it again. Kicking myself if I sold my last one and it was just a case of switching a couple of wires! Hope I dont have the canbus hassle as well!