Ibiza Cupra Headlight bulbs - best combination

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey folks,

Yes, I've searched... don't shoot me down ;) hehe

Right, I don't want HIDS, as I think they're possibly a bit overkill for my requirements, plus they're not legal. I'm looking for fully road-legal bulbs for my mk4 ibiza cupra, on a 54 plate.

I've got my eyes set on some Philips Xtreme Power bulbs for dipped beam, as they came top of virtually every review I've read. However, I have a few questions.

How do I know if my headlights are single or twin reflector units? Even the SEAT manual doesn't help me here.

Secondly, I want some decent main beam and sidelight bulbs to match, as close to possible, the colour of the Philips bulbs (as close to white as possible, not fussed about blue tint etc) What does everyone recommend?

And to confirm bulb type for my Cupra:

Dipped Beam H7
Main Beam H3
Fogs H3
Sidelights W5W

Thx

Last edited:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Do you mean extreme power? or blue vision? They don`t do xtreme vision as far as I can tell. :shrug:

And the type of bulbs you have listed is spot on for your car! :D

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
oh c*ck - my bad.

Extreme power. :)
I want to order all my bulbs at once, but I don't know what other brand/type of bulbs to put into sidelights/mainbeam - I want to avoid different coloured bulbs.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Powerbulbs never mention the H3 - they say H4 or H1 - both of which must be wrong! :(

I've got some Philips Bluevision W5W bulbs, which, although I don't want a blue tint, seem to be the only upgrade option there.

So now all I need to decide on is main beam.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
If you are decided on the phillips bulbs for dip, why not stick with them for main?
They don`t seem to do extreme power in H3, but how about these: clicky
They should be the same colour as neither set have any coloured coating on them.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I've got some Philips Bluevision W5W bulbs, which, although I don't want a blue tint, seem to be the only upgrade option there.

So now all I need to decide on is main beam.

I have those sidelights.. they do not shine blue even though they have a coating. They are just less yellow than standard.

You`re welcome by the way!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Ordered some bulbs now - I'm spending too much money! Must stop.......!
Fitting looks a little tricky - could be badly scratched/bent hands, or bumper off job. My bumper does seem to sit a bit lower than it should - think it might be worth removing it to see if I can get it lined up properly.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I didn't think LED's were road-legal - that said, I've got a handful of spare LED bulbs like those anyway, so could give them a go I suppose!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
They are not legal, and always look blue - even the ones that claim to be pure white.
I spent loads on "white" led`s trying to find ones that matched but gave up in the end.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I didn't think LED's were road-legal - that said, I've got a handful of spare LED bulbs like those anyway, so could give them a go I suppose!

I have LED front indicators & side light, LED tail light and LED rear indicators on my Honda Blackbird. All carry "E" marks and it has passed 3 MOT's with them in.

Latest BMW's and Merc's also carry LED rear lights

I think the only non-legal light upgrade is HID - unless you get hold of the complete projector headlights to go with them

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Ordered some bulbs now - I'm spending too much money! Must stop.......!
Fitting looks a little tricky - could be badly scratched/bent hands, or bumper off job. My bumper does seem to sit a bit lower than it should - think it might be worth removing it to see if I can get it lined up properly.

If you are thinking of messing with your bumper anyway then you may as well take your headlights out to change all the bulbs, as the first couple of times you change your sidelights is a bit of a nightmare!
I can change them in like 2 minutes now because I`ve bought and tried maybe 12 sets of sidelights on this car!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I have LED front indicators & side light, LED tail light and LED rear indicators on my Honda Blackbird. All carry "E" marks and it has passed 3 MOT's with them in.

Latest BMW's and Merc's also carry LED rear lights

I think the only non-legal light upgrade is HID - unless you get hold of the complete projector headlights to go with them

You will not find led`s with E marking for fitting to cars with filaments as standard, because the headlight unit itself has been designed for use with filament bulbs (501 5watts in this case), so anyone who makes led`s for retrofitment will not be able to obtain european approval for that bulb.
Having led`s as standard is a different matter because the lamp units have been designed for use with led`s.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Yes they are legal.
No you wont get stopped for them

They make driving at night a doddle, Their LESS bright than standard OEM fitted ones
I've been in a polo with projectors and an ibiza with HID's the beam is almost exactly the same.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Anyway sticking to topic:

Pabs, are you doing your foglights too?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
No, I'm not going to bother (yet) as they are so rarely used, it hardly seems worth it.
Plus I want to see how the other bulbs turn out first.
If I do it, the fogs will use the same bulbs as the main beam, as they are H3 too.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
True, I never use my fogs, even in the fog!
They only seem to illuminate the road for about 5 feet in front of the car anyway!

What did you pay for your H7`s if you don`t mind?