ibiza cupra tdi chatter ?

rossco22

Has anyone fitted an induction kit to there cupra tdi? do you get any waste gate chatter?

CDJONES3495

Has anyone fitted an induction kit to there cupra tdi? do you get any waste gate chatter?

I have an Fr tdi and i get this it's just because more air is being taken in due to the induction kit that you hear this noice. Due to there is more air that the turbo needs to get rid of. Is it around 2000-2500rpm when u let off to change gear.

rossco22

I could be wrong, but I think what your hearing is turbo chatter. This is when the turbo "Stalls" or so I'm led to believe, This is not good.

Yer your right in what you say the noise that you hear when you lift off the gas is the turbo stalling , although this isnt particularly bad it does send small shock waves through the turbine but they have very little or no effect, Ive run many petrol turbo cars in this way with no problems at all 2x reasonable power cossie's / r5gt etc etc Just intrested to know if you get the same effect on the diesels i presume you do but was just intrested to see if any one else was doing it..

Quick example from about 20 sec's in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4vPq5mFZA

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Is it possible to get waste gate chatter on a TDi ?

I thought you needed a throttle butterfly to close for chatter to be created ?

Diesels don't have a throttle butterfly.

Some turbo diesels have waste-gates to control the boost. Waste gates are on the exhaust side. You may be thinking of Dump valves. These do not work at all due to no throttle valve. However modern diesels have variable inlet vanes to control boost to replace waste-gates.

I'm not sure if you get waste-gate chatter from an older diesel. An induction pipe may create more induction noise and you may hear the turbo spin up. An after-market filter may not give you much more performance, as the car runs on excess air anyway, but it should produce less black smoke. A remap after fitting will gain the most out of it.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Yer your right in what you say the noise that you hear when you lift off the gas is the turbo stalling , although this isnt particularly bad it does send small shock waves through the turbine but they have very little or no effect, Ive run many petrol turbo cars in this way with no problems at all 2x reasonable power cossie's / r5gt etc etc Just intrested to know if you get the same effect on the diesels i presume you do but was just intrested to see if any one else was doing it..

Quick example from about 20 sec's in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4vPq5mFZA

Isn't that chattering just the normal sound of a wastegate?
The sound that would give me a semi while wandering around forests in the 90s...

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
are you mistaking chatter for the owl noise which is overrun or called stall which I think is not a good description (as it's air and not revs) it will also be more noticeable if you mod the exhaust too, with a little practice of the left and right pedal it can be made to come or go at will but overall I don't think it's healthy on a regular basis

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
Yes you do get it. I've got a standard exhaust (so no noise from that) and have a Honda S2000 filter sat on the end of my MAF. Due to the VNT you don't always get a 'good' chatter since the angle of the blades obviously adjusts. But, catch it just right and you do get enough noise to get looked at oddly by pedestrians. :)

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Yes you do get it. I've got a standard exhaust (so no noise from that) and have a Honda S2000 filter sat on the end of my MAF. Due to the VNT you don't always get a 'good' chatter since the angle of the blades obviously adjusts. But, catch it just right and you do get enough noise to get looked at oddly by pedestrians. :)

I don't need a VNT to get looked at oddly by pedestrians.
Most notably when I'm in 'kayak transport' mode with it strapped to the roof on top of a single blow up mattress!
If I forget to get a couple of twists in the straps, they hear the loud humming and point too :roflmao:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise