Ibiza FR gearbox recall

anD666

Hiya,

I took my car in for its 20k service on friday and learned that there has been a recall on the gear boxes for FRs (I think its just this model). They didnt say much just something wrong with the fluids and it was causing gears to crunch. Free fluid change under the warranty and all is resolved.

Thought I'd post it as there maybe a few of you out there with this problem.

Cheers

Andy

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Petrol or diesel or both?

I've learned that my 2nd gear crunched on occasion because off the weak-ass dogbone mount. To see the amount of engine movement on a rolling road was pretty odd.

Some uprated bits & bobs are top of my agenda.

anD666

I have the petrol version, she didnt say about the diesel just that it was my line/batch whatever they call it.

Im not sure about the dog-bone mount but mine was crunching mostly going into second gear, might be a similar thing, i dont know.

nam

May 29, 2007
Northwest
Ha Ha, mine went in yesterday for exhaust fix and i said to them about it being crunchy when cold, they have changed the Gbox oil and played with the linkages and ll it well :)

they didnt say anything about a recall though

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Petrol or diesel or both?

I've learned that my 2nd gear crunched on occasion because off the weak-ass dogbone mount. To see the amount of engine movement on a rolling road was pretty odd.

Some uprated bits & bobs are top of my agenda.

The amount of engine movement is insane isn't it!?!

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Interesting! Mine can be a bit shifty (pun intended) sometimes changing gear. Not had it long so not really p1ssing me off yet.

What reg car you got and which garage told you this?

Cheers anD666

B3NNO

Yeah ive also had this done, mine started to crunch at high revs in any gear. Phoned up the dealership and they offered to look at it, when it returned they said there was a problem with the gear box oil so they changed it to Mineral oil instead, since then the car has been much better!

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
OK, so it sounds like a facelift fault then? Both you two have 56 plates.

arse. Mine's out of warranty now anyway.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its a VAG wide recall on the 5spd boxes, been doing them on the MK5 Golf, Touran etc etc.

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
So does that mean all MK4 Ibiza gearboxes techie? Not just the newer ones as anD666's comment seemed to suggest..?

Cheers.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I cant remember the exact gearbox code but we have been doing alot of them.

But yes it seems to be the latter MQ250 (i think) boxes.

Not a safety recall, its a service action.

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
Should I be calling up seat and asking them if my 04 FR gearbox needs to be looked at?

It feels ok, there does seem to be quite a bit of play when changing gear, I still miss the gearbox on my old 1995 140k Daihatsu!