Ibiza FR TDi or Fiesta ST?

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
pbirkett said:
Link?

I find that very hard to believe, the RS is MUCH faster than the ST, and even if the Fiesta could go quicker round corners, which I dont believe either, then the power would more than make up for it.

Yeah it is hard to believe, but I read something in Autoexpress (when Ford were testing the prototype ST) where the Ford spokesman said exactly the same thing - that the ST was quicker than Focus RS round the track.

Makes you wonder if the prototype they were testing was running more than 150 bhp with a different suspension setup.....

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Aye

Dont think they'd let any old "muppet" loose in an RS. Dont think the RS is underated either - maybe the ST's performance was embelished. Or like I said, maybe the pre-production model they were testing was different.

Maybe they shortened the track since the RS was tested......

RobbyH

TTS LCR 280
Apr 18, 2005
High Wycombe
public.fotki.com
no that was a misprint, it was the ST170 around lommel, on the twisty sections the Fez was quicker. everyone hyped up to start with that it was the RS, but it was the st170. im in the know with fords.

flashbsd

depends if you wanna drive round with bonnet stripes during the years you own it, i saw one the other say and chuckled, looks so out of place.id go for the FR petrol.

seat130fr

whoa,we're going to ibiza
Aug 8, 2004
st. helens, merseyside
i had a fiesta 1.4 zetec, i went to my current fr.

i know i cant say anythin about the [power of the ST, but the only good thing i can think about for the fiesta, is the short shift gearbox..... i'd say thats the ONLY good thing about the new fiesta!!!

the ST looks borin, probably is borin and going down the lines of boy racer route.

personal choice at end of day though

Grapo

Jul 28, 2004
London
sted said:
The fiesta is probably th better car if you just want speed but after having driven both the tdi ibiza is just easier to live with (the st has wierd gearing meaning motorway speeds are at fairly high revs for example)

ST is faster round corners but the FR petrol destroys it in a straight line.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
big ALI H said:
No thats the Cupra petrol mate, think the FR petrol is more like 8.5 ish

I know i read too many mags but he's right.

Autcar tested in wet at 7.6 secs

Test drive tested it at 7.7 secs

Auto express tested it at 7.4 secs

Evo group tested at 7.6 secs as well

And there were a few others. The Petrol FR is a mid 7's car standard, low 6's once remapped.

The cupra petrol has still not been tested by any mag, most mags are saying there is no point as why would anyone want the cupra when the FR is there. The Tdi only got a look in cos it was so novel

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/...ear=2005,carname=ibiza,eng=1.8+20V+T+150.html

Thats from the SEAT site. I know that the figures are usually a bit conservative but also dont forget its not unknown for manufacturers to send modded cars to the mags for their test drives either. VAG (especially Skoda) have a reputation for this from what i've read.

Disagree about the Cupra, its got another 30+ BHP as standard so is bound to be quite a bit faster than the FR, theres also the suspension, bodykit, wheels, brakes, alloys etc etc so theres more to it than just simply a bit faster in a straight line. Still its too bloody expensive so tends to get overlooked IMO

christdi

Jan 5, 2004
Bangor (NI)
Visit site
pbirkett said:
I think a std FR petrol would indeed beat an ST in a straight line with relative ease. FR petrol does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds.

Autocar mag have the ST as 0-60=7.8, 0-100=21.8 and the FR petrol as 0-60=7.6, 0-100=21.4 which makes them pretty even in my book. Not suprising really as both cars have the same power and virtually identical weight.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
christdi said:
Autocar mag have the ST as 0-60=7.8, 0-100=21.8 and the FR petrol as 0-60=7.6, 0-100=21.4 which makes them pretty even in my book. Not suprising really as both cars have the same power and virtually identical weight.

Considering those figures were generated in differing conditions, if you read the road test for both from autocar you will see the ST was tested in the dry. You will also see that the FR was tested in the wet and the testers commented on the 0-60 being at least .5 secs quicker if in the dry. The FR is faster in a straight line, if you want proof , do as i did and go and test drive an ST, poo pie slow.

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
Who cares about tenths of seconds anyway? I'd go for an FR for the tunability. You'd have to spend a lot more on an ST to get it to 200 BHP than you would an FR. Thus making it cheaper in the long run? A question of priorities I guess but when I bought my TDi FR i went through the same thought processes and came to the the conclusion that for a further 500 quid i could turn it into a torque monster, so got the ibiza. The price I paid for the TDi FR was only 12200 so its definately worth a haggle. For under thirteen grand I now have a car that will annihilate an ST fiesta. I wouldn't personally consider a car without a turbo but thats just me i guess.

R

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.