Ibiza Mk4 Custom Gas Bonnet Lifters/Struts - Finally Finished!

Aimez

The saga continues the bolts on the car originally do not fit through the bracket holes as the holes are too close to the edge of the bracket to allow for the round edge of the bolts to sit right. Need to get someone at work to drill another 1mm and they should fit then should be okay. Will try and get this done next week.

Aimez

utf-8BSU1BRzAxMjkuanBn.jpg

See my first issue old struts vrs struts direct ones! Been running round sorting out wheel re furb this week so next week will get someone in the workshop to drill the holes 1mm larger so the bolts fit. But think I need a second pair of hands again for this, people need to know how much it hurts holding the bonnet up on your shoulder whilst attempting to put the bracket in place and tighten the bolts! Is not easy on your own and it is easy to they have the bonnet gaps uneven too.
Will get it done eventually though I will not give up!

i know what you mean i guess it was a little easyier for me its good that you gave it a go though atleasy you can say you tryed,i made my brackets up prepped them painted them etc got the struts fitted it all and the struts were to long to close the bonnet so i decided to stick with standard prop.

Aimez

did you have different struts to the ones above then, as you can see the ones I bought from Damo were much too short he never tried fitting his bracket so was not aware of the holes being too small either. Sell them on if I were you the brackets I mean people on here screaming them just pm them. I did paint the bracket they are a bit ruined now from the bolts thou prob just Hammerite them when they are on!

Aimez

are you 5"2 thou bit harder for me! Would have had this sorted at the weekend but seems all the bits i got from Damo are just not right so attempt number 3 will be a while off getting bored of this!

Even doing one at a time you cannot tighten the bolt much as the bracket is in the wrong position.

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Bringing this up again.. What thickness steel/Ali did you guys use? I was promised a set by someone months ago but nothing ever come of it so I'm going to grab some steel this weekend and don't want to get anything too thick/thin.
Thanks in advance.

Paulie..

Aimez

bonnetstruts.jpg

I did do this after lots of hassle had to but new slightly longer bolts as 1. feel happier them being slightly longer bolts and 2. the others were getting stripped!

I bled them as in the guide but they need a bit more I think as it goes up a bit sharpish and have to use a fair bit of pressure to shut the bonnet too.

The washer jet hose clip holder does not sit in the hole made for it sadly not sure what I can do about that so took the clip off and the hose doesn't seem to be getting caught anywhere.

Ruined the bracket I painted fitting them so need to touch them in with a brush and am happy. I have taken the sticker soff since I took this! But am well chuffed with them now taken about 2 years to fit lol! I would still strongly recommend a mate help as 2 of us,1 being a mechanic, found it a bit of a bitch to do and it is tricky getting the bonnet lined up straight afterwards, mine is still a little wonky.

GFC-MK4-FSI100

Is any one selling these kits yet ? Im good with cars I can change brakes etc in record time but numbers and measurments arghhhhh

Aimez

these are still okay, i recently took off the old metal bonnet strut and the hideous orange plastic that it sat in, need to get another blank bit of plastic that already are round the soundproofing to make it look tidier. Only thing is frequently they make a scary creaking noise like they are under strain when the bonnet goes up, after putting it up and down once or twice is stops thou? Have I not bled them enough I did it for the time said on the thread?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members