ibiza mk4 factory fit xenons

May 21, 2009
had my mk4 fr for 2 yrs and for some reason the left hand xenon which has been working fine will go off, then on then off then on then stays off, so i turn my lights off and back on and then it might be fine for a few hours or a day or 2 im thinking it may be the ballast how much are these,

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
had my mk4 fr for 2 yrs and for some reason the left hand xenon which has been working fine will go off, then on then off then on then stays off, so i turn my lights off and back on and then it might be fine for a few hours or a day or 2 im thinking it may be the ballast how much are these,

Sounds like a ballast and they are er.. lots mate! clicky

perikolos

I think it is the lightbulb.... I had a similar problem with my car and then I changed the bulb and it worked fine.... I also had to change a ballast. When the ballast wasn`t working the bulb wouldn`t work at all.... try changing the lightbulb it`s a D1S model... watch out because it`s not cheap...

Aimez

most have only 2 year warranty, my driver side ballast has been playing up for a month sometimes works sometimes doesn't. I could buy a ballast and see if that works but knowing my luck it won't so I am replacing mine with slim ballasts as I have the way mine look atm (one ballast cable tied to the battery box!! Or are you talking about factory xenon not aftermarket HID kit?

May 21, 2009
mine were factory fit mate, and yeah scott its getting annoying i drove to meadowhall last night worked all the way there some 25 mile then back fine then first thing this morning it was playing up lol, it should be under warranty car has done v.low miles done less than 20k in 2 yrs anyways

perikolos

I am sure it`s the bulb.... if u want u can change swap them but if u want to do that u must take of the front bumper and then take out the headligths because the in the back of the headlight there is a plate with 5-6 bolts that u can`t get to on the car.... I don`t take the bumper off all the way... just take of the screws from the wheel arches and 2 ones near the fog lights and then pull the bumper off a few cm. to get acces to the 2 bolts under the headlight...... I would make u some pictures to show u but it`s freezing outside here (-15 C) and the car is full of ice and snow....

P.S.: I forgot about the bumper bolts that u see wen u pop the hood up....

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
Its worth checking ebay for ballasts and bulbs. I did my whole OEM xenon conversion for £150. I got my ballasts from USA $100 for the pair.

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
sod it get a dealer to sort it out then if it's under warranty not your problem then I wouldn't start swapping bulbs and taking the bumper off get them to do it.

Sounds a much better idea that does, especially if its going to be warranty work. Don't forget that if you undo your headlight clusters you'll have to get beam pattern realigned afterwards which the dealer will do for you for nothing if they're doing the work under warranty.

May 21, 2009
well i rang the stealer and they said until they diagnose the problem it may be chargeable, if they determine its covered then no charge, they say they havent had this problem before so we will see, im booking it in for next week, as i have 6-7 other issues at the min as in

: rear wash not working
passenger door not always locking
lights on/fuel low warning buzzer not working
squeaking or squelch noise when touching brake or accelerator in trasffic sounds like a bush problem
headlight washers stay stuck up
left xenon been a twat

n cant think of the other ones off top of my head, will let you guys know though

Aimez

Yes they have to tell you that but I wouldn't worry. The squeaking noise when coming on off the gas,brake sounds like bushes mine did this (granted 5 years after being new though!) did it only in the damp/wet for some reason!?
Hope it is all fixed for you.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members