Ignition Coils replaced, still having some issues. any help most welcome

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
hiya all,

i have a 03 plate LCR

was driving back from work, everything working fine when suddenly after exiting a roundabout my engine fault light came on.

the car started to judder slightly when i put my foot on the accelerator and there was nowhere near the right power (im assuming this is limp mode)

when i got home i opened the bonnet and revved the engine gently and there is an odd ticking sort of noise coming from what sounds like the airbox area.

any ideas??

thanks in advance

Last edited:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
sounds like coilpack failure to me matey.. need to scan to find which one has gone.

airbox area could be the maf totally gone, but the symptoms sound like coilpack.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
never heard of this sending car into limp... does make a ticking noise though as standard.

id say thats the noise and a coilpack has gone matey

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
well here is the update:

I replaced the ignition coils yesturday, started up the car and gave it a small amount of revs. Before there would be an odd noise but now the noise had gone. Great problem solved. The Engine management light was still on but im guessing that it needs to be removed by a computer.

Anyway driving to work this morning and at first it was fine, however when i shifted into 3rd and put my foot down slightly the car started to judder, nowhere near as bad as before. Rinse and repeat for 4th and 5th

Also when in first and second, if you give it some beans it pulls like it should, however there are little 'blips' where it seems the power cuts out then comes back.

any ideas?? all help is most appreciated

ive never really been too involved with engines but i really want to learn as fixing my car is something that highly appeals to me and my wallet. A thought i had maybe a boost leak??

anyway thanks again

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
trying to get free stuff from VW is like trying to get a sensible answer out of gordon brown.......

those are 2 very good ideas, would you happen to have/point me in the direction of a link for the cheap vag-com?

cheers bud

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members