IHI twin scroll build, Mani finished at last! New problems to sort.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Great project. I love looking at new metal parts. Sad I know.

Will you be making relief cuts into the manifold to head flange after it is built?

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
well thanks for all the positive comments everybody it's much appreciated.

Standalone management with als etc...

bill you had any experiance with als? i've been looking at it for a while now, most of the avaliable info seem's to be based on scooby/evo application and everybody say's that the gain to be had from running it is very impressive, but there is also lot's of horror stories out there, most say it severly shortens the life of verious components, (turbo's, manifolds,etc) with some saying that they are cooking gt28/30's in less than four months, although i'm unsure of the application other than it was a scooby.

the plan to start with is to run factory ecu and try to ''manage'' the lag issues with some gas use probable progressive and staged for each gear change. but the car is going to be built up in small stages rather than one big hit as i would like to keep the car usable as much as possible and as we all know everything is dependant on a budget, then when i get to the stage when the factory managment can no longer provide the functions i need then i will change but i belive changing to standalone can be quite a job and from what i have read it's not only the functions that will be gained to consider but what may be lost in the change, however i have no experiance in this area so any info much appreciated.:)

htc, not to sure about spliting the flange after fabrication, i've looked at many pictures of all types of manifold and it seems about 50/50 on weather people decide to do it, any thought anybody, is it worth it, pro's con's etc:confused:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
given your application is 1/4 mile then als wont be running long... yes it will load turbo/exhaust components hard.. but staging and burn out and 12 secs of running or less, then switched off anyhow by override switch of from its switched rpm

I will be running it on my new S60 garrett setup in combe saloons so once done i will be more informed as to how well it works and what breaks.. lol

Jon@VAGWORX

I've been looking into als for a while now and my conclusion at the moment from what i've heard and seen, is that many people cook their turbo's but they all seem to carry on using it!! So in my eyes they must be convinced that the advantage outways the consequences:)

I like your thoughts on management, sounds like a good plan.
Really good head work would be the best way to 'manage' lag initially imo.

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
as you have said before bill..im no expert on heads... but, from what ive researched less lag was one thing that was mensiond to be gained from it

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
as you have said before bill..im no expert on heads... but, from what ive researched less lag was one thing that was mensiond to be gained from it

porting a smallport head when I was IHI'd pushed torque upward but also the rpm at which it started... some would say that made is laggier from larger port on that particular size turbo running then - VF34

Bore increase however brought all of this down and that most definately worked to reduce 'lag'.

My question was to Jon

Jon@VAGWORX

porting a smallport head when I was IHI'd pushed torque upward but also the rpm at which it started... some would say that made is laggier from larger port on that particular size turbo running then - VF34

Bore increase however brought all of this down and that most definately worked to reduce 'lag'.

My question was to Jon

Thats why i said really good headwork!

If you flow the exhaust side correctly and leave the intake almost stock you can increase the air speed which reduces lag.

I'm predicting disagreement:rolleyes:

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
just been looking at mani designs.

is there a reason everyone makes their manis with the mani to turbo exhaust flange paralell to the head?

can the turbo flange be cranked/tipped in any way?

Cheers

HoocH

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
great, cheers guys. ive lifted mine up more but it ment i needed to crank it round abit. sits loads better

cheers

HoocH

davet175

wrx??? who are they?
Dec 2, 2007
hampshire
got a guy local who can make manis if we can either have one to copy if there is a good one out there or a full spec drawing to do one from. getting him to do my lcr one soon but can make anything you want..

he builds gt40 replicas from scratch as a living so guess he knows what hes up to... :)

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi beattie17, in a word "No", i'm afraid there is nothing of any interest to report :(.

This is the time of year when my other half is flat out at work with all the summer shut downs on the rigs ect but with a bit of luck he will get a chance to have a proper look at the mani again in a month or so once things slow down a bit, looks as though the choice of pipe is going to be 316 ss for no other reason than most of it will be free:D, 321, inconel or similar would have been ideal but i just cant justify the expense when i can get most of the 316 free. He has had time to make to odd one off flange for other people but thats about it.

Other than that, i've had the car at pod once this year and it rained all day:(, and i'm now over six months pregnant so probable wont be able to get in and out of the buckets much longer to drive the bloody thing :rolleyes:. But as soon as i have some progress to report i'll post it up.

Tasha. :)

Last edited:

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
No i aint got any good recent ones hooch, it was the only black mk3 ibiza at pod (spring festival) with a carbon bonnet if you was there?

Come to think of it there should be some on the blackett photographe site because i think they do all the pic for pod. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.