Insurance Help! (Car PC + Audio equipment)

Dave Trouser

Electronics/Computer Tech
May 5, 2005
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an insurer that will cover my non-modified 1.4 (75bhp) 05 Ibiza, with a custom car pc installed?

My current insurer (Zurich) class it as a modification, and won't cover it at all! Also had a word with Adrian Flux, but they can't do it because the car is standard as far as they are concerned, and I'd need to modify the engine to get a policy! aaargh!

Also, would anyone know a rough figure I can compare against? Currently paying under £400 fully comp (I'm 27 btw).

edit: I'm having the same trouble everywhere I try! The standard insurers won't cover it, as it's too high risk, and the modified car insurers don't class it as modified! Help!
Closest I've got so far is Swinton, who will cover £750 audio kit and fully comp for £452. Have to wait until Monday to hear if it covers my Car PC too... aargh.

Last edited:

Dave Trouser

May 5, 2005
I should have mentioned - I'm after £1000 cover. My current insurer is very certain that it will not be covered - and, they will definitely not cover my car at all if I do install it :-(

Dave Trouser

May 5, 2005
What's your excess though RichieRich?

I checked out Tesco just now, and they would include my system under the £1000 audio cover. However, they quoted me £454, £200 excess (with 10% online discount!).

Best so far is Admiral, who only cover ICE to £750, but the premium was only £329 (£150 excess).

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
cant you do all that with a sat nav and a c.d player? or just a t.v screen :shrug: alot cheaper and wouldnt have all this hassle with insurance

Dave Trouser

May 5, 2005
Find me a CD player that holds 80GB of music then :)

It'll be doing other things eventually anyway, like built-in OBDII diagnostics and stuff like that. There's a few people on here doing CarPCs.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
yer ive seen them and never really seen the point :shrug: 80GB of music! WHY? never need that much........................ would you?

fair play to you mate hope you get it sorted !!! im with admiral and they are great!

Dave Trouser

May 5, 2005
I think I found a winner - Natwest are offering £1000 ICE cover, and premium of £407 fully comp (£200 excess). Probably going to go with that one, unless someone suggests somewhere else. I will get about £250 back from cancelling my existing policy too, so it's looking better!

Just to name and shame - I'm currently with Zurich, via A-Plan. They said that if I keep the kit in my car, then they won't even insure the car itself (ie, can't drive it). Idiots!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise