Is 180 bhp realy obtainable from a remap on a std FR 130 TDI?

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
I have just got a SI 05 FR 130 TDI and would like to get it remapped to give me the most power without risk of nailing the engine or clutch (reasonable driving of coarse) .I hear 180bhp is obtaiable but do i have to change anything else or is this a figure that involves alot of other costly parts.
Hope this isnt a overly asked question if so sorry.

brad1

Mmmm get a pd160 intake and panel filter, and also a exhaust then get the likes of AmD, ptorque etc to map it, my mate has a 130 ibiza with a AmD map, panel filter and straight through exhuast and is running 187bhp and 311ftlb, it's is achievable ;)

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Hi thanks for the info.As funds are scarce at the mo if i got a cotton filter and just a remap would i still achieve near that?

brad1

You will see roughly around 170-175bhp and don't forget about that important torque for the dervs lol ;)

brad1

Remember it's not all about peak figures it will me better to have more power across most of the rev range than just peak figures ;)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Dependig on what boost your running 180bhp is a little much for a standard turbo, I would expect its running about 1.6bar for that output which it aint gonna like for too long.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Ive been told that the duel mass flywheels have been problamatic ,the car im buying has only done 19k and is totaly std so do you think it should be ok? Also i cant afford a H/P clutch kit so shall i ask for the tourque to be kept under 300 lbs on a remap?

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
At 75k miles I put another OEM DMF in mine whilst it was all apart for the clutch. The original DMF had covered 70k remapped with no issues, but it was well worn when we took it out - not much life left in it but better than we expected.

From new the car covered 5k before the remap. OEM clutch lasted to 25k (ish) before slippping constantly (some slippage from about 20k miles) when I changed the plate for a Helix sintered plate - everything else OEM - which was very harsh but never slipped. By 75k that plate had worn to just touching the rivets.

The new sachs clutch (complete kit) feels very OEM, very smooth and "normal". Slightly heavier pedal but no slipping. With a DMF you need to allow about £1k all in, fitted.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
At 75k miles I put another OEM DMF in mine whilst it was all apart for the clutch. The original DMF had covered 70k remapped with no issues, but it was well worn when we took it out - not much life left in it but better than we expected.

From new the car covered 5k before the remap. OEM clutch lasted to 25k (ish) before slippping constantly (some slippage from about 20k miles) when I changed the plate for a Helix sintered plate - everything else OEM - which was very harsh but never slipped. By 75k that plate had worn to just touching the rivets.

The new sachs clutch (complete kit) feels very OEM, very smooth and "normal". Slightly heavier pedal but no slipping. With a DMF you need to allow about £1k all in, fitted.

maybe a silly question :whistle:, but where did you buy the OEM DMF from, dealers? :shrug:

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
£235 from ebay - using these guys.

The link is not the same item I bought though as they aren't showing just a flywheel on Ebay at the moment. Mine was a genuine Sachs OEM DMF item, and this lot were really helpful. Delivery was £12 I think, and it arrived 2 days later.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
I realy cant afford a new clutch at the mo but would like to go for a fase 1 remap.If i drive sensably and dont floor it every where from the off then surly my clutch should see 7-10k more shouldnt it? i had a bora before and had a revo remap and sold it with 20k on the map with no issues?? Im not after driving rely hard but would like to have a bit more mid range tourque. I had a A4 TDI 130 sport with over 90k and no slippage but no remap either .:confused:

brad1

I realy cant afford a new clutch at the mo but would like to go for a fase 1 remap.If i drive sensably and dont floor it every where from the off then surly my clutch should see 7-10k more shouldnt it? i had a bora before and had a revo remap and sold it with 20k on the map with no issues?? Im not after driving rely hard but would like to have a bit more mid range tourque. I had a A4 TDI 130 sport with over 90k and no slippage but no remap either .:confused:

aslong as you dont plant your foot in 6th for example at 1500rpm, and only plant it just after 2500 you should be ok, depending on your torque figures

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Hard to say chap..... they vary a lot on here. Some guys have had issues on the journey home and some have none. A lot depends on current state of the clutch and how you drive it though and if you use the revs rather than flooring it at slow speeds and low revs in 4th/5th/6th you should be OK for longer! I didn't change my driving style at all and mine lasted 15k before some slippage but I did suss out how to drive round it (no flooring until higher up the rev range) and it wasn't until about 25k that you couldn't drive around it any more.

Plenty of time to get saving! Custom remaps can set torque high enough to be fun, but slightly lower to protect the clutch. Should only need to be this cautious with a PD130/150 being taken to around 290-300lbft or more.

I'm thinking of adding the Milltek downpipe to mine and having Jabba custom map it for more torque (keeping smoke to a minimum) now that the clutch is bedded in and can handle it.

Last edited:

brad1

as also mentioned, there are many factors to take into consideration as S3AKR said above, its weird cause my mates ibiza 130 remapped and is running 187bhp and 311ftlb and he drives it like he stole it, puts his foot down at low revs and its fine, he abuses it basically lol and his clutch is still fine, depends on how lucky you are aswell ;)

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Thanks guys will just have to try and stick some money assaide for when or if it happens.In the mean time ive got a remap to pay for and the face lift front and rear bumpers and seat seem to be over charging on them

brad1

Thanks guys will just have to try and stick some money assaide for when or if it happens.In the mean time ive got a remap to pay for and the face lift front and rear bumpers and seat seem to be over charging on them

save your money on facelift bumpers, the money you save on them not buying from seat you can get a set of bumpers of ebay and a clutch ;)

tdi sport

Apr 13, 2008
i had mine mapped bout 20k ago but its only mapped to bout 160ish as the car is totally standard
and had no problems with the clutch so far fingers crossed it should hold out a bit longer

strugers1

i ran 1.6bar boost for nearly2 years turbo was fine
that was running 194bhp and 322lb ft torque on my 130 tdi leon

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members