Leon FR 184 TDI Remap + Dyno @ More-BHP

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
*EDIT* Long term update and latest map results:
https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/leon-fr-184-tdi-remap-dyno-more-bhp.466105/post-5052750

*ORIGINAL POST*

So following on from my saga of trying to get my Leon 184 TDI rolling roaded unsuccessfully at a different tuner, I booked the car in with the lads at More-BHP in Crewe for a visit today

Pre-sales support was excellent, and Jason answered all my questions (even the stupid ones), including assuring me that getting it going on their 4wd Dyno wouldn't be an issue. Price was agreed for a rolling road session, remap and DSG map at the same time to support the map + protect the gearbox 😎

Fast forward to today, and Mike (the tuner) and Jason were both top blokes - very knowledgeable, friendly and happy to talk shop and walk me through what they were doing.

Straight up on the rollers, and this time absolutely zero issues - Mike had it straight into proper Dyno mode - where it promptly chucked out 188.7bhp/389nm at stock.

IMG_20210630_103744.jpg

Mike then did his thing, altering the DSG parameters etc and then set about mapping.

All finished up she's now making 230bhp/489nm, so a +41bhp and +100nm increase

Super impressed with them, and the car is absolutely brilliant. Drive home back down the M6 and first impressions are just effortless torque, it just picks up in any gear and pulls... Hard! Acceleration in all gears is noticeably better, even from a standstill - just need to look at a dogbone mount now as wheelhop is still an issue, but I knew that already even before the map.

Overall very pleased with them, if you're in the Stafford/Stoke/Cheshire area I'd absolutely recommend them!

IMG_20210630_114650.jpg

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
That's a solid result(y)
What is interesting is that the max. torque now sits much lower down the rev range which probably would make a huge difference to the way the car drives, even without the extra 100Nm you've now got.

Reactions: TripleBob

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
That's a solid result(y)
What is interesting is that the max. torque now sits much lower down the rev range which probably would make a huge difference to the way the car drives, even without the extra 100Nm you've now got.
Yup it's completely changed the way it drives, you now get a solid slug of torque almost immediately, and it doesn't seem to run out of puff as quickly as you climb the rev range. Feels like a completely different car!

Last edited:

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
So following on from my saga of trying to get my Leon 184 TDI rolling roaded unsuccessfully at a different tuner, I booked the car in with the lads at More-BHP in Crewe for a visit today

Pre-sales support was excellent, and Jason answered all my questions (even the stupid ones), including assuring me that getting it going on their 4wd Dyno wouldn't be an issue. Price was agreed for a rolling road session, remap and DSG map at the same time to support the map + protect the gearbox 😎

Fast forward to today, and Mike (the tuner) and Jason were both top blokes - very knowledgeable, friendly and happy to talk shop and walk me through what they were doing.

Straight up on the rollers, and this time absolutely zero issues - Mike had it straight into proper Dyno mode - where it promptly chucked out 188.7bhp/389nm at stock.

View attachment 25698

Mike then did his thing, altering the DSG parameters etc and then set about mapping.

All finished up she's now making 230bhp/489nm, so a +41bhp and +100nm increase

Super impressed with them, and the car is absolutely brilliant. Drive home back down the M6 and first impressions are just effortless torque, it just picks up in any gear and pulls... Hard! Acceleration in all gears is noticeably better, even from a standstill - just need to look at a dogbone mount now as wheelhop is still an issue, but I knew that already even before the map.

Overall very pleased with them, if you're in the Stafford/Stoke/Cheshire area I'd absolutely recommend them!

View attachment 25699
I recommend the powerflex dogbone insert makes a big difference. Little bit of vibration at idle and a bit more with aircon on but no wheel hop. 😁

Dec 28, 2020
Looks a great result.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total cost?

Still not decided on who to go with map wise.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Looks a great result.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total cost?

Still not decided on who to go with map wise.

Total cost was £499 all in - but that was for a dyno based mapping session with before and after results, AND a DSG gearbox TCU map - so obviously a manual would be cheaper too.

Thought that was pretty decent considering the likes of Revo are virtually the same price, are a straight flash with absolutely no proof of final power (though I'm not doubting their maps, I just like to know what I've actually walked away with) and they don't touch the DSG at all.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
That's a solid result(y)
The OE torque curve is a big flat table top starting at 2000rpm - the slight bump at 3242 would be unnoticeable so I would ignore that quoted 'high' rpm for max original torque.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
The OE torque curve is a big flat table top starting at 2000rpm - the slight bump at 3242 would be unnoticeable so I would ignore that quoted 'high' rpm for max original torque.
Agreed. Definitely feels like the power comes in sooner, but I'd chalk that up to how much torque there is basically straight away, and the fact there's now a lot more of it.

Need to find an accurate way to try a 0-60 run now, and maybe some 40-70 pulls too

Have dropped Midland VW a message to see if they can supply + fit some extra parts now to help keep the power down

Dec 28, 2020
Agreed. Definitely feels like the power comes in sooner, but I'd chalk that up to how much torque there is basically straight away, and the fact there's now a lot more of it.

Need to find an accurate way to try a 0-60 run now, and maybe some 40-70 pulls too

Have dropped Midland VW a message to see if they can supply + fit some extra parts now to help keep the power down
How you finding the map after a few days?

Been speaking to Jason over the last few days and looking to get booked in soon!

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
How you finding the map after a few days?

Been speaking to Jason over the last few days and looking to get booked in soon!

Absolutely brilliant, even more so now I've got used to the extra power and started to adapt my driving style. No need to drop a gear for motorway passes now, unless you want to very very rapidly pass something 🤣 and in gear pick-up is greatly improved even at slow speeds

The rate it covers ground now is mental (for a diesel), and my MPG doesn't seem to have been effected at all - won't cast any judgement there until I next have a full tank and zero the counters

Have spent the last few days driving 'enthusiastically' shall we say, and using obdeleven and Torque Pro to log temperatures, boost etc - all running great. No ECU errors, temps all within natural variation of where they were pre-map.

Definitely recommend a map on these engines now having experienced before/after - the map Mike setup is fantastic.

Booked into Midland VW next week now for a powerflex dogbone insert (I don't have access to ramps atm) to get the wheel hop in 1st/2nd sorted. Not an issue if you don't floor it mind 😜

Aug 1, 2021
How is your MPG now that you have got used to it all?

Thinking of getting my 184 Leon TDI done as well. But mine is a manual. Is there anything I need to look out for in regards to the gearbox or would it and all other stock parts be able to cope with the remap?

I do quite a fair few business miles in mine and so any increase in MPG would be good, if at all possible!!

Any advice appreciated!! :)

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

Thinking of getting my 184 Leon TDI done as well. But mine is a manual. Is there anything I need to look out for in regards to the gearbox or would it and all other stock parts be able to cope with the remap?

I do quite a fair few business miles in mine and so any increase in MPG would be good, if at all possible!!

Just to jump in on this. I have a 184 ST that has a tuning chip fitted. Not as `pure` as a remap but it does a job.

The one thing I do get is better MPG. I've done a 300 motorway trip at 70mph (wife and dogs in the car) @ about 2000 rpm in 6th and got 70 mpg. Did a similar run elsewhere, mainly motorway and got 68mpg. Even if I'm doing 80mph I still get 58/59 mpg. It's deffo better with the chip, so I'm sure a remap would have a positive impact.

In terms of your stock parts - it's been posted on here before (somewhere) that the 184 has a bigger turbo and heavier duty clutch than the 150, so it's very receptive to the power increase. It also has bigger brakes. Not saying it's gospel but that's what I've read.

I don't drive my card that hard so it's quite happy plodding around - but put your foot down and away you go! :)

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just to jump in on this. I have a 184 ST that has a tuning chip fitted. Not as `pure` as a remap but it does a job.

The one thing I do get is better MPG. I've done a 300 motorway trip at 70mph (wife and dogs in the car) @ about 2000 rpm in 6th and got 70 mpg. Did a similar run elsewhere, mainly motorway and got 68mpg. Even if I'm doing 80mph I still get 58/59 mpg. It's deffo better with the chip, so I'm sure a remap would have a positive impact.

In terms of your stock parts - it's been posted on here before (somewhere) that the 184 has a bigger turbo and heavier duty clutch than the 150, so it's very receptive to the power increase. It also has bigger brakes. Not saying it's gospel but that's what I've read.

I don't drive my card that hard so it's quite happy plodding around - but put your foot down and away you go! :)
Are you quoting the trip computer MPG or calculated tank to tank?
I've read the 'tuning boxes' can mess up the trip MPG figures.

Yes 184 over 150TDI = bigger Turbo, stronger clutch, bigger brakes, alloy knuckle (vs Iron), Bigger dia dampers, independent rear suspension, different (lower) gearing.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021

Yeah those tuning boxes definitely mess up the onboard mpg readings - as they're essentially tricking the ECU into supplying more fuel etc than the computer realises by under reporting/spoofing readings. No way it's actually doing 70mpg

Great, tbh I don't think it's particularly improved, but it's also not got any worse - which I'm happy with given the dramatic increase in performance.

Recently did a 480 mile round trip to Kent and back... Started with a full tank, filled up when I got home - put in 38.6 litres for a trip computer distance covered of 483 miles...
Which afaik works out at approx 56ish mpg?

That's a mix of motorway (approx 420-430 miles) and urban driving around town with family while we were down there. Estimated remaining range on the dash when I filled up was 90ish miles from memory, or 3 bars on the fuel guage

Last edited:

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Are you quoting the trip computer MPG or calculated tank to tank?
I've read the 'tuning boxes' can mess up the trip MPG figures.

Yes 184 over 150TDI = bigger Turbo, stronger clutch, bigger brakes, alloy knuckle (vs Iron), Bigger dia dampers, independent rear suspension, different (lower) gearing.
Just the trip computer and using the mpg figures `since last fill up` on the info screen. I do reset my trip when i fill up but don't actually do any calculations from it. I'll give it a go next time I fill up.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Yeah those tuning boxes definitely mess up the onboard mpg readings - as they're essentially tricking the ECU into supplying more fuel etc than the computer realises by under reporting/spoofing readings. No way it's actually doing 70mpg
Well that's really burst my bubble! I'll have to do some manual calcs now. :(

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Well that's really burst my bubble! I'll have to do some manual calcs now. :(
Sorry matey, didn't meant to come across aggressive - was just an FYI. I initially had a chip tuning box on my old car (a Toyota) and the mpg readings were hilariously off too, up in the 70-80+ mpg range, which on a 13 year old derv was definitely impossible. Then had a bunch of over fuelling issues and went for a proper remap - suddenly the car realised it was only actually doing around 40mpg 😂

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Sorry matey, didn't meant to come across aggressive - was just an FYI. I initially had a chip tuning box on my old car (a Toyota) and the mpg readings were hilariously off too, up in the 70-80+ mpg range, which on a 13 year old derv was definitely impossible. Then had a bunch of over fuelling issues and went for a proper remap - suddenly the car realised it was only actually doing around 40mpg 😂
LOL! It's fine. Didn't consider you were OTT (y). It's just ruined the illusion for me slightly. I'm happy with it for now and it's not something I feel the need to change. I will do some manual calcs to see what the real world figures are.

Reactions: TripleBob
Aug 1, 2021

Great, tbh I don't think it's particularly improved, but it's also not got any worse - which I'm happy with given the dramatic increase in performance.

Recently did a 480 mile round trip to Kent and back... Started with a full tank, filled up when I got home - put in 38.6 litres for a trip computer distance covered of 483 miles...
Which afaik works out at approx 56ish mpg?

That's a mix of motorway (approx 420-430 miles) and urban driving around town with family while we were down there. Estimated remaining range on the dash when I filled up was 90ish miles from memory, or 3 bars on the fuel guage
Shame that it isn't as high a figure as Brian had said. Would have been a good selling point for the missus!! But good to know that there isn't any loss of MPG as well.

Was looking at getting mine done by quantum tuning as they have someone that can come to me to do the re map and the guy that does it for them was recommended by my local garage which look after my car etc.

Reactions: BillyCool

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Shame that it isn't as high a figure as Brian had said. Would have been a good selling point for the missus!! But good to know that there isn't any loss of MPG as well.

Was looking at getting mine done by quantum tuning as they have someone that can come to me to do the re map and the guy that does it for them was recommended by my local garage which look after my car etc.

A remap should give you better results versus a chip anyway. I would like to think that you would get slightly better MPG as a result, although not as good as my pie in the sky figures!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.