Leon FR 184 TDI Remap + Dyno @ More-BHP

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
I ultimately boiled down to either Revo via Midland VW, or More-BHP with a bespoke map - because both are 'local' to me (read as within 30-45mins drive)

I went for more BHP in the end purely because the price was essentially the same, but for the money they were mapping both the engine and dsg box, whereas Revo is engine only - they were up front when I messaged them about estimated gains (and their estimated gains come from an average of actual rolling road results) rather than Revo's rather broad guestimates which don't actually tell you what YOUR final gain is - and it included before and after rolling road printouts. So no matter the gains you walked away knowing exactly what you'd got, whereas the Revo you couldn't tell unless you paid even more for a RR session somewhere else (Midland VW don't have a RR, and even if they did it'd be extra cash on top).

I'm not saying the Revo isn't a good map, it might even be better (I've no way of knowing), I just preferred the idea of having a definitive printout and knowing exactly what the car was capable of, and the reassurance that the DSG clamping force/temp limits etc had been altered to protect and/or better match the new power levels

Midland VW offered to flash the DSG with the stage 1 Racingline TCU map at the same time, but that was considerably more expensive

I settled on More-BHP Vs say R-Tech in Leicester, due to distance and the fact they seemed to have decent reviews on the Golf R and Audi forums, and the fact they sell their maps to other tuners, rather than using generic noddy no name maps off the internet.
Cheers for that, I'm in Manchester so crewe is easily do-able for me. I'll be making contact this week hopefully 👍👍

Reactions: TripleBob

LeonST 184

Dec 22, 2021
Scotland
So following on from my saga of trying to get my Leon 184 TDI rolling roaded unsuccessfully at a different tuner, I booked the car in with the lads at More-BHP in Crewe for a visit today

Pre-sales support was excellent, and Jason answered all my questions (even the stupid ones), including assuring me that getting it going on their 4wd Dyno wouldn't be an issue. Price was agreed for a rolling road session, remap and DSG map at the same time to support the map + protect the gearbox 😎

Fast forward to today, and Mike (the tuner) and Jason were both top blokes - very knowledgeable, friendly and happy to talk shop and walk me through what they were doing.

Straight up on the rollers, and this time absolutely zero issues - Mike had it straight into proper Dyno mode - where it promptly chucked out 188.7bhp/389nm at stock.

View attachment 25698

Mike then did his thing, altering the DSG parameters etc and then set about mapping.

All finished up she's now making 230bhp/489nm, so a +41bhp and +100nm increase

Super impressed with them, and the car is absolutely brilliant. Drive home back down the M6 and first impressions are just effortless torque, it just picks up in any gear and pulls... Hard! Acceleration in all gears is noticeably better, even from a standstill - just need to look at a dogbone mount now as wheelhop is still an issue, but I knew that already even before the map.

Overall very pleased with them, if you're in the Stafford/Stoke/Cheshire area I'd absolutely recommend them!

View attachment 25699
Very good results, I'm having mi e done tomorrow but no DSG remap just ECU and after reading Im really starting to think if I need DSG done or not will see how it is without

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
As above, the dsg map doesn't alter shift points etc, it just alters the torque limits and clamping force (and afaik temperature limits that limit torque if things get too warm) to prevent slippage and prolong the life of the box.

Vanlife

Dec 31, 2021
Nice results! Similar to a VW Touran I owned before, funny racing and beating cars in that 7 seater proper family car... surprised alot of people... mine was tuned by Celtic tuning, had the same motor as a Golf GTD.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Quick update, done another 5k miles since the map - still running beautifully, no issues with DPF (although I don't do short journeys). Checked with vag dpf app and there's been no change at all.
After getting robbed at the forecourt yesterday (£76 to fill up!), drove 220 miles to London - averaged 56mpg, used 2 bars on the fuel gauge - trip computer reckons range is another 340 miles

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Long term updates!

Now on nearly 30k miles, and map has definitely paid for itself in fuel savings. Job change means the car now only does long motorway mile journeys, and cruising mpg is solid mid to high 50’s (depending on whether I’m cruising at UK or French speeds).

Customer service remains fantastic too - recently went to my local dealership to have the cambelt and water pump done (as they were basically the same price as my local indies and you get a proper warranty on the job)….. and they very helpfully applied the latest software ‘updates’

Got the car back and it drove like utter crap. I’d forgotten how bad stock map is vs tuned! Even in sport it constantly hunted for 4th/5th at 35mph - and it generally felt gutless when you put your foot down

Rang Jason at More-BHP, and they offer free restoring of your map (they save each custom map) if a dealership overwrites it. So a few days later I popped up to see them again

They restored original parameters to the TCU, but as the ECU update had actually changed the rom completely (rather than just resetting settings to OEM ) they recommended that rather than trying to flash the old rom and original map back over the top, it would be better to do a fresh map - choice was mine. I agreed, and for the princely sum of £50 for a couple of runs on the dyno, they did a completely fresh map

Results came out slightly better than the first map:
230.4bhp / 497nm @ 1900rpm

Results are once again fantastic - I cannot overstate just how much better than stock the car is to drive! It’s a completely different beast

1000020935.jpeg

1000020896 Copy.jpeg

Reactions: MATT RILEY
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members