Is this normal? Am worried about it now!!

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi, car in for service tomorrow and was messing about in engine, marked oil filter and things to make sure they changed them etc, but took the flexi pipe leading into?/out? of the EGr and it had quite a lot of oil in it. Is this aount normal.
EGR Housing
P8120211.jpg
://[/IMG]

Pipe attached
P8120207.jpg

Pipe end heading down towards gearbox direction
P8120208.jpg
[/IMG]

Just a bit worried that there is too much oil, was expecting soot and that but not liquid oil! Have noticed that while was pulling a trailer that the part behind the exhaust was black and sooty and the trimn gets blacker lately? Connected do you think? Advice please, as going for a service tomorrow and may get them to look into this.:(

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
:blink:
So not to worry too much yet then!! was worried more about the liquid oil in it,was expecting gunge but not oil, do lot of miles, 27k on car 20k in the 8months. Turn down or bypass would cure it then, only thing is the CEL light.
Thanks for reply!

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I have turned one down on a TDI Ibiza before, just enought for it not to clog and to still pass emissions. It didn't put the light on either. Thats the best option. It stopped any jerking at slow speeds too. (Fairly common I understand).

Might be worth a try as it will prevent yours getting as bad as that!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
It`s because of pictures like the above i rip the EGR system out of my cars as soon as possible as i don`t want that gunk screwing up my engine. Turning it down with VAG COM is the best thing to do though if you don`t want a cel light.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Turning down or removing the EGR won't stop the oil though, it'll just stop the oil mixing with sooty crud :)

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Is that what the aluminium swirl pots do on cossie engines??

I remember Cars and Car Conversions mag from the 90s and every cossie or ford based 16v Turbo had a swirl pot. I have always wondered what they are for. Catching oil residue??

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I did find a pipe off the side of the airbox last week and thought it was the breather pipe, reconnected it though, just into the top side of the airbox, as only place ot would reach and fit in that area, can stick a photo up later of it.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i know what you mean googies, its the small vacuum pipe at the top left of the box if im right. Its part of the vacuum system.

Part of the CCV is the small black cap on the top right of the crank case cover, you will need to take the engine cover off to see it.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I Found this from UncleFester on an EGR thread while back.

"Followed the post on the other thread from Glyn

Originally Posted by glynnd

With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software.

[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11] and enter 12233 as the access code
[Adaptation] and go to block 3.
Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps.
Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume.

If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a setting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter [Save]. The values aren't exactly the same, but when you enter the value 33768, the ECU will automatically adapt it. In my case it was something like 33628. 370mg/stroke is what your looking for."

Looks like it can be done.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise