Issues with brakes/bleeding - PLEASE HELP!

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
**update**

Ok....so l've spent ALL afternoon playing with the brakes and after 6 circuts of bleeding the whole system, the good news is that l have brakes! The bad news is that the braking is pants! :(

The brakes work but you really have to plant the pedal to get a bite and even then, you kinda come to a rolling stop and theres certainly no hope of stopping sharpe in an emergency!

Any ideas anyone.....??? :confused:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Yep, bled the m/c each time l did the circuit! l'm 99.99% certain there's no air in the system at all, there's no leaks anywhere on the system......so l'm totally out of ideas!? :shrug:

Think you're right. Just need to pay a garage to sort it out now and then at least that way, l can keep taking it back time and time again until l'm happy with it! :happy:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Yeah, more than likely! Thing is that l'm more than confident at working on and bleeding brakes, yet nothing l do seems to work, so when they do sort it first time round.......l'm just going to feel like poking myself in the eye with a big stick! :rolleyes:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
is the pedal going overly hard? or sinking to the floor?

have a listen around the footpedal for a constant hisss when the pedal is pressed, hmm it sounds very much like mine, as if its unassisted,

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Chris still not got in touch mate? That's what mine did originally, so we/he rebled the system under pressure. He only needed to bleed the Brembos and the brake master cylinder that time though and they're bang on now.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
is the pedal going overly hard? or sinking to the floor?

have a listen around the footpedal for a constant hisss when the pedal is pressed, hmm it sounds very much like mine, as if its unassisted,

No, the pedal goes stiff and is defiantly not sinking to the floor, but it just doesn't stop as sharply.

You can hear the "hisssing" noise, so everythings fine in that area....l think :confused:

Chris still not got in touch mate? That's what mine did originally, so we/he rebled the system under pressure. He only needed to bleed the Brembos and the brake master cylinder that time though and they're bang on now.

Did he not get it!? l defiantly emailed the right address? :shrug: l'm going to re-bleed them on Saturday and see how l go from there, so fingers crossed!

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
If you've got a constant hissing at the pedal ( if its constant and not a quick half second hiss), then youve got an internal vac leak on the servo, this will cause poor braking since its unassisted,

as youve found it'll brake, but no matter how hard you pres you'll struggle to lock the wheels,

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
If you've got a constant hissing at the pedal ( if its constant and not a quick half second hiss), then youve got an internal vac leak on the servo, this will cause poor braking since its unassisted,

as youve found it'll brake, but no matter how hard you pres you'll struggle to lock the wheels,

Well...when I say constant hissing, I mean as in while you dip the pedal

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Well...when I say constant hissing, I mean as in while you dip the pedal

hmm to test the servo,

turn the engine off,

pump the pedal until its rock hard and wont practically move,

press the pedal down and hold it whilst starting the engine,

you should feel a really obvious "give" in the pedal once started, this shows the seal for the vac of the servo is there,

if it doesnt drop then you have either a vacuum leak or goosed servo,

hope this helps

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
hmm to test the servo,

turn the engine off,

pump the pedal until its rock hard and wont practically move,

press the pedal down and hold it whilst starting the engine,

you should feel a really obvious "give" in the pedal once started, this shows the seal for the vac of the servo is there,

if it doesnt drop then you have either a vacuum leak or goosed servo,

hope this helps

Tried this out tonight when I got home from work and I'm pleased to report that the pedal does drop after you start the engine, so all's fine there based on what you've said!

As I say...I'm just going to give the system one, maybe two more full bleeds and see where I stand from there as it did get better and better every time I did it previously

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Just had a reply mate; he didn't get the email. I'll PM you the address again, or if you can PM me yours I'll pass it on

Cheers mate, but I think I'll be fine for the mean time. I'm going to give it one more crack at the weekend and if I'm still getting no joy, I'll try to get back in contact with him :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.