Its all gone wrong mummy!

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Well!

So, ive had a mooch, read threads, tried the “Cures” and still i cant “Sus” the issue...

Now the following COULD be related but then again NOT!?

My bay just came out the paint shop today at 3pm.. (post and pics coming on that once i sort this out)
Given the keys, start car, drive 5 miles home.
20 mins later, off to the shops... Not!
Car turns over, fuel pumps workin as it should, sparks where they should be BUT not starting!
Get the VAG diog out... plug in, “failed ro connect please make sure blah blah...
Ok retry, same time and time again!?
Now it has the standard Seat cupra MK1 satnav head unit in so no after market so its not (i think) anything to do with the K pin as per threads ive seen...

So being unable to Diog the car, time to go old school... get the car up on the ramps...
As stated, pump. Check working
Fuel, check, issin out
Spark, check, nice fat spark outa all for!
Fuses and i do mean every bleedin fuse in the car.. check all good!

from 4pm until now, like 9pm ive scratched me head, tried all in my power, read thread after thread and begger all!!!
She just spins over.
Crank sensor taken out, checked and clean, meter tested and seems to fine.
Cam sensor, same as above

im lost for ideas chaps and if im honest, peeved off as i was planning tmw for photo shoot and a full on write up showing its progress to show it off since ive spent time and some serious money taking it from what it was to what it is now and collecting it today from the paint shop had me like a little kid... right up until it all went wrong mummy

any help much appreciated

Gel

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
As a follow on to above...
Whilst cranking, dash has the traction control light on perm and after 5-10 secs of cranking, oil light comes on and beeper goes batty...

might help?

ta

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I had a issue where car would not start and computer would not connect to the ecu when plugged in found to be the fuel pump relay but mine is a diesel and when try to start there was no fuel pump sound but did everything else what yours is doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Ok so been and checked...
Open car with “blip blip” and turn ignition on and tou can hear the fuel pump BUT only for about 3-5 secs then it shuts down now i cant remeber if thats norm or not?
As stated when i pulled the fuel line to see if fuel was coming thru, it *isses out so im fair confident that its getting fuel.
Realy is clicking in and out as can be herd BUT hey, stranger things... will check it tmw as 409 relays i have spare new uns...

cambelt?

i doubt that as if i recall, the AUQ is a self detonation lump, so should, be clattering like hell even turning over you would hear the valves etc clattering...and besides, it drove as normal home, turned off and now wont fire at all but sounds as if it should, hence the post ‍♀️

ta for the replies mind

Gel

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If the cambelt is ok, you have 4 sparks and fuel, it should start.....

The fact you can't connect to the ECU would make me think that is at fault, but the fact you have sparks rules out any sensor and ecu issue imo. That only leaves lack of fuel and the cambelt, don't see it can be anything else.

Last edited:

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Hmm... righto...
Scary now... full of fuel
So that only leaves the unthinkable... gulp!

have it apart tmw and get the endoscope out and check inside the bores and cam cover off...

bleedin hope not.. just done 2k on paint!!!!

ho hum

cheers

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The upper cambelt cover just clips on, other than that you could look through the oil filler cap while someone else turns it over on the starter. You should be able to see the camshafts turning.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you, but like I said you only really need 3 things for an engine to run
1. Fuel
2. Spark (at the correct time)
3. Compression and valve timing via the cambelt

Good luck

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah cool,
I know my way round a lump so...
Im only doing all this shi cos i cant get VAG com to connect with the ODB... if i could, be flyin :)

sayin that, sweet jusus i hope its not the belt, that will mug me right off, you got no idea whats been spent on this so far... id be in for divorce if she found out the “True” amount ive spent and to now say, “just gonna rebuild my engine babe”!.... seriously, id be talking soprano for weeks!!!

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I take it all was running fine before the paint job??
Has there been a sensor left unplugged somewhere

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Bruce,
Nothing on engine was touched.
Its had the bonnet and wings, side skirts painted.
Ive been up here since 8am,
My main issue is i cant get the VAG to connect to the car “link error” if ive tried once ive tried a hundred times.
So far...
The following all checked, volt tested and cleaned while out.
Plugs
Coil packs
ALL!! Earth points cleaned.
Fuses (every one on the car)
Cam cover off, all fine, belt good and marks where they should be.
Brand new CPS
Brand new Crank sensor.
Fuel pump realy

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Bruce,
Nothing on engine was touched.
Its had the bonnet and wings, side skirts painted.
Ive been up here since 8am,
My main issue is i cant get the VAG to connect to the car “link error” if ive tried once ive tried a hundred times.
So far...
The following all checked, volt tested and cleaned while out.
Plugs
Coil packs
ALL!! Earth points cleaned.
Fuses (every one on the car)
Cam cover off, all fine, belt good and marks where they should be.
Brand new CPS
Brand new Crank sensor.
Fuel pump realy
Thats been checked and works fine
Fuel pump works
Ive pulled the head unit just in case its the K line but still same when connecting VAG

if i could get tje scanner to connect it would save me alot of cockin about but as couldnt/cant,
Ive gone old school and done all obv things i can think of
Battery been disconected over nyt and then again afyer i done the above jobs so it should have drained system to reset itself...

im stumped, like proper mugged off...
To be fair ive lost the will to live with the sodding thing!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Clutching at straws here, but if you have fuel, sparks, timing and compression and it still doesn't start, do you have air?
Is there a blockage in front of the maf, or has the throttle body failed in the fully closed position? Maybe something got sucked into the air intake from the paint shop. Other than that I can't think what it could possibly be.

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Nope!
Taken aprt, cleaned up (hardly any depsoits)
Refit, test... same

why oh ferkin why wont the Scanner link!!!!!

Grrrrrrr

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
OBD2-Connector-DLC-Data-Link-16-Pin-Out-J1962-Explained-What-Is_v2.png
Wtf, thats crazy mate.
Usually I would say its definitely related to the fact the scanner won't connect, but then if you have sparks at the plugs, i really don't see how taht can be the case. Do you have voltage at pin 16 of the OBD 2 socket? Will the scanner not connect to anything, or just not the ecu?

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Ive given up getting filthy...
Gonna concentrate on why it wont connect...
If i get workin, will/should save me alot of messin about and more important, be able to cleare the codes and reset, which, SHOULD then enable the car to fire up!?

mty...

Plug in scanner/reader and it just fails to talk to anything, nothing... its all alive and stuff on the screen and you can select what ya like BUT as soon as tou go to Scan or any bloody thing....
“Connection/link error“

like said if done it 50 time ive done 100

drivin me batty

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Ok, now electronics not my forte tbf
However..
Ive read these posts about aftermarket steroes being fitted and they cause “linking errors” with VAG/scanners etc
So
If i have a standard albeit old standard satnav unit fitted, and ive disconnected it totally, ergo just the connectors left hanging out the dash
If ive done that then logic says to me, even if there was a K line interference, now unit is off totally then the scanner should connect BUT its still the same.

as stated im no sparki hero and so its frustrating not knowing just why sodding thing wont link.... makes no sense... worked fine a few weeks ago when we done climate control unit swap.... and no! The car drove fine no issue for weeks and weeks after that so please no
“Ah well that might be ya issue”
Ive enough issue without adding somit else thats got sod all to do with whats in hand
Lol

ideas welcome

ill read after ive come back from committing Harry Kari

JustGel

Jul 4, 2019
Ok...
So mate turned up....
Whittled it down to the car contery to my last coments..... GOT NO SPARK

all the cool packs are brand new
New cam position sensor fitted

what could be causing the issue?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Probably a stupid question, but is everything in the engine bay intact? Last time I had my car in a garage, I had a part nicked. Not saying it's malicious, but if they took the bonnet off for the spray, they could have knocked something...?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise