Jinxed at the moment

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Popped back into Sidlows this lunch time for them to sort the handbrake, whilst there they said the new stereo had turned up to. Anyway, they said the rear discs all needed to be rebuilt and refaced etc as they had not been working correctly and clearing the discs of grime, plus they also did'nt hold the car on an incline. afte i asked if they would chane the discs and pads they said no. So i am suplying new discs and pads next week and they will do em (£30 from my mate for a pair of new discs and pads, seat quoted nealry £200).

anyway they said about not using copied CD's as they sometimes are not liked by the alana headunit and fitted the new one. The technician put the copied CD in the new headunit, and guess what, it won't eject!!! so they have ordered in another one so this will be its 3rd head unit, talk about jinxed!!

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Strange, My Alana headunit plays copied CD's fine, (touch wood)

i got a quote to change the front and rear discs and pads, and they qouted me £240 including fitting and VAT

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
i had a couple of new HU's in my old Mk4 .. strangely( touch wood) this one is ok in the new car.. but it IS the mp3 player ( with steering controls ) and either me or the missus only EVER play copies..( keep the originals in the house;))

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Ohh!!

Is there a solution? (apart from turning radio down, lol)

Sometimes I love them open twisty roads, REVO, TIP, 007P, Milltek, and Brian Adams Summer of 69 blaring out...or whatever lol

Mike

Triple D

You think thats bad Ant, my hybrid turbo went bang, had to buy a new one, then got home, only to find a fookin nail in my rear passenger side tyre so also had to get a new tyre then because it was too close o the sidewall :cry: . Thats what i called jinxed.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i tell ya what i might give you a go up the strip now, got my REVO today,

how many times you been up the strip before i take up your challenge???

Triple D

Ant FR said:
i tell ya what i might give you a go up the strip now, got my REVO today,

how many times you been up the strip before i take up your challenge???
None, it will be my first time. Gonna be practicing my starts with the standard clutch then hopefully by next sunday i should have bedded it in enough to give it some stick on the strip. Tried a launch start in 2nd today, was well funny, got off quicker but my clutch stank afterwards.Gonna test it at work on monday to see if i did any damage to it.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
spaniels fr said:
None, it will be my first time. Gonna be practicing my starts with the standard clutch then hopefully by next sunday i should have bedded it in enough to give it some stick on the strip. Tried a launch start in 2nd today, was well funny, got off quicker but my clutch stank afterwards.Gonna test it at work on monday to see if i did any damage to it.

are ok should be close then, cos practice all you want on normal tarmac, but the strip will feel like ice compared to a road, plus the pressure of all those peole watching you and waiting for a **** up:lol:

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
ant, im gonna need new discs and pads on the back of mine cos they are doin the same thing!!! oh and your fr tdi you just got, did you get it from us or another dealer???

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I had the rear discs and pads changed on mine under my maintenance plan (at 60k or 70k service) - not due to wear, in fact they were hardly worn - but because of excessive corrosion on the outside edge of the disc.

Angusrob

Jan 11, 2005
Tayside
Ant JINXED must be going around,

Just failed my first MOT 3 days out of Warranty. Seat belt broken, went in for the repair then failed a tyre. Had it back, drove one day and a front spring broke.....and is on back order !!!

look on the bright side your car is in warranty and can be driven. I know the feeling though Ant. :banghead:

Same excessive corrosion on the outside edge of the disc on mine, not repared yet, squeezing more miles in first.

My Alana burned holes in some cheap CD-r discs ?? :headhurt:

Keep up the good fight :brucelee:

Rob.

Last edited:

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
i took my head alana unit out wasnt even the mp3 one no offence but it is quit crap you can notice the difference with a new headunit but then everyone is different

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yep I think the discs get rusty on the outer rim whatever. Didn't affect how they worked, just looked bad.

It would be an easy job to whip the rear wheels off, chip off the rust off the rim then tidy them up with a wire brush attachment in a drill, be good as new in no time.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
spyke85 said:
I'm also getting rust on the insides, as if the pad isn't making contact with the disc in a few places
Never got that, only the outer edge rusted on mine. Maybe you should try braking harder :)

Triple D

muddyboots said:
Never got that, only the outer edge rusted on mine. Maybe you should try braking harder :)
What from about 144 mph? thats what i did today, the brakes stunk afterwards though :lol:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.