jump start = possible big bill

licklelady

Hello

Had a flat battery and so jump started my car, however now my dash lights come on on there own and with no key in the ignition.

Been told I have spiked it or something, and need a new dash which I have to go to the robbers (seat) to get.

Anyone know roughly how much this will be... and maybe anyone have a cheaper option.

Thanks

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
did you jump it from another car ?? i work for a big fleet company and we are told NOT to jump any car with another car due to the fact that when you connect the leads up and start the flat one both of the ecu's are connected through the jumpleads and can pass details and fook it all up.... not sure if this is true but its what we been told.

licklelady

yeah jumped it from another car.

Its not the engine managment lights that come - its the actual dash lights that light the speedo ... as if your turning the headlights on.

But Ive been tol I need a whole new unit and it has to come from the dealers due to milage etc, however just looked on ebay and theres loads for sale second hand.

Can anyone help me.

Thanks

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
try resetting the car by disconecting the battery for half hour and then see if it is the same

Hauptmann

Information cannot be passed between two vehicles via the power (battery) cables.

It is unlikely that you need a complete new dash. I don't have the Ibiza wiring schematics with me at the moment, but I will look tonight and try to post some helpful advice.

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
I've told before to have the lights on when attempting to jump start as the 2 batteries connected can cause a spike and mess up the ECU. Having the lights on supposedly will blow a bulb / fuse to bulbs if it spikes (which would be a lot cheaper to replace than an ECU). but i have also been told it would be more likely to be the donor vehicle that would get affected by the spike :shrug:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
I agree that its likely a voltage spike which has caused the fault, had something similar with an Audi TT which ended up costing over £700 to replace a dash unit.
If looking for a used set of clocks, make sure the numbers on the units match EXACTLY as there were various specs. Also, the immobiliser is linked thru the clocks so any replacement unit will still need coded by (probably) a dealer.
PS we arent all 'robbers' !!!!!!!!!! :(

licklelady

lol at sere motors - ok well just the garages that charge £75 plus VAT per hour labour... plus parts and then only spend half and hour on it and still charge you a full hour :(

But yes thank you for your replies... found a brilliant garage today near me (Vasstech auto services) thats just opened and the guy is an ex listers mechanic.. took the car there, and he said exaclty what u said sere motors.

Looks like its a nice big expensive bill for me.... although I do plan to try and hunt down a second hand dash thing and then just pay (probably) the dealers for coding. ;)

Thanks Everyone :)
:D

Last edited:

Aimez

I wasn't saying it was a rip off by the way just saying maybe get a second opinion if anything cost me that much I personally would.
By the way main dealers have to charge a standard time for a job if it takes them less time or more time to do the job that is how they create standard times. They are made by every minute of how long it takes to do the job sort out the tools etc, even breaks if a job it really long! If a mechanic finishes early it is cos he is good and experienced and you are very lucky!(yes I work for a main dealer in some shape or form and got this explained to me lol!)
£75 an hour is a main dealer price try somewhere else if you don't want to pay that much.

mark1231

Sep 29, 2009
you need to a get a new dash pod with on mileage or vin number if it has it will not code to your car the mileage is burnt in too a eprom chip and cannot be removed the dash pod has the immo in it as well and will need coding

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
when you connect the leads up and start the flat one both of the ecu's are connected through the jumpleads and can pass details and fook it all up.....

Even my wife knows that's silly :lol:

But don't jump start a petrol with a diesel car as the fuel will flow down the jump leads and contaminate the tank. :lol:

Last edited:

Aimez

this is why we used battery packs or spare battery when we used to jump start hundreds of cars a year at the airport, we had huge jump leads that were extra long. People faces when lil me used to turn up and have the back of the van facing the dead cars bonnet lol!

rocky2008

Buy Cheap Buy Twice!
Nov 16, 2008
North-east
learn something new everyday, never heard of the voltage spike! how true is what was said about leaving your lights on when you do it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.