Jump starting an Arosa (53 model)

Dexter1759

Hi All,

My OH's Arosa, decided it didn't want to start this morning. Didn't even try, just a vague clicking sound!

Assuming it is a flat battery, we got some jump leads and connected them up. Neither of us having done this before and doing it in poor light has meant we've given up for today.

But I just thought I'd ask here for help advice.

We followed the instructions that came with the jumper cable (+ & - connected to booster battery, + connected to flat battery & - to a bare metal part of the engine/chassis). The problem is that we can't find/see any bare metal under the bonnet, that we are happy is safe! It's all boomin' painted (the instructions specify unpainted).

Could someone point out (ideally on a photo) where the negative end of the cable could be attached to please?

I'd be hugely grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Dex

PS. One other oddity is that on my Clio (the booster car/battery) the way positive terminal on the battery is shaped/situated, it isn't really clear where/how to connect the lead, since the obvious round bit is completely obscured by something else. Anyone else experience such a thing?

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
If you can't find somewhere on the engine block or gearbox then connect the - to the battery, It shouldn't do any harm, Remember to connect to the + on the flat batt first then to the + on the jump car, Then connect the - to the flat batt and then to the jump car, This will minimise the risk of sparks, Disconnect the - first when the car has started.
The clicking you can hear is the solenoid because of the dead battery.
HTH.

Dexter1759

If you can't find somewhere on the engine block or gearbox then connect the - to the battery, It shouldn't do any harm, Remember to connect to the + on the flat batt first then to the + on the jump car, Then connect the - to the flat batt and then to the jump car, This will minimise the risk of sparks, Disconnect the - first when the car has started.
The clicking you can hear is the solenoid because of the dead battery.
HTH.

Thank you very much for your reply, we'll have a better look around the car in day light for somewhere to connect the -. The main problem being neither of us know a thing about cars and therefore have no idea where we can and can't attach the - on the engine itself. Will any bare metal, obviously none-moving part be ok?

Also, thanks for the info regarding the order and reducing sparks. The instructions that came with the leads tell me to put them on the other way round!

Dex

thequixotic2001

Nov 20, 2009
South Wales
The best thing is if you are not sure then connect to both battery's, Make sure you connect + to + and - to -
Expect some sparks but connect + first and dsi-connect last.
Where in the country are you ?.

Dexter1759

The best thing is if you are not sure then connect to both battery's, Make sure you connect + to + and - to -
Expect some sparks but connect + first and dsi-connect last.
Where in the country are you ?.

Thanks again for the reply. Very helpful. We are all the way over on the East Coast in Gt Yarmouth.

Dexter1759

Bit to far for me to come and help you, lol.

Hi,

LOL - yeh that would be a bit of a distance to help someone start a car! Thanks for the thought though.

Looks like my OH will need to RAC it!

In better daylight we found a nice bolt on the engine block to connect the - to on the dead car. Left it for 10 minutes and, it sounds like the starter is trying to start now but is struggling to get going! (rather than the click sound previously heard)

The confusing thing is the + on my battery is obscured. Heres a link to a pic (but having trouble posting because I haven't made 15 posts or something)

i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/Dexter1759/20100119_001.jpg

I can't get the lead connected on to the round bit of the terminal, and a good chuck of that "block" above the terminal, looks like plastic! So not 100% certain we are getting a "proper" connection on the good battery!

Even though my OH is calling RAC as we speak, it will bother the pants off me not knowing if we are connecting properly at on the good battery!

Thanks,
Dex

Dexter1759

How did you get on ?.

Turns out the battery was knackered, and wasn't holding any charge at all! The RAC man did his testing to determine that, installed a new battery and did some other tests to check it was the battery and not something else.

As for why we couldn't jump start the damn thing, I think it was because I couldn't get a proper connection on my + terminal (see pic in previous post) due to all the crap in the way!

Dexter1759

At least it's sorted now that's the main thing.
Did see the pic but didn't comment as you already had the RAC out.

Yeh, I picked the RAC man's brains about my clio battery whilst he was here, but all he really said was "That's the french for you!" lol.

Guess it's just one of this things!

Thanks for your help.

Dex

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.