K1 blueflame full turbo back exhaust developed

Poverty

blueflamek1.jpg
[/IMG]

LEON CUPRA K1 CAT BACK SYSTEM 2007 -> MONZA £385
3.00" DOWN PIPE AND MOTOR SPORT CAT £575
3.00" DOWN PIPE AND DE CAT £250

635 notes for full decat TBE.

Does anyone know of the pros and cons of a decat on the 2.0tfsi as im confused about it. Tuners seem to be saying varying things and im not sure its because they are influenced by what they sell. Just as a note jonnyc is running a decat just fine....

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Decat would of course be illegal emissions wise and unless there is some way they can fool the car in to thinking there is a cat there, you are gonna get warning lights on the dash to tell you there is a fault.

The main pro will be that the gases will be more free flowing through the downpipe and the turbo will spool more freely.

Poverty

Decat would of course be illegal emissions wise and unless there is some way they can fool the car in to thinking there is a cat there, you are gonna get warning lights on the dash to tell you there is a fault.

The main pro will be that the gases will be more free flowing through the downpipe and the turbo will spool more freely.

can deal with the emissions issue and get rid of the lights via a remap.

Thing is a tuner told me that its better to have a cat as it wil give some required back pressure, so im not sure what to believe. Want to get the car up to stage 2 + spec and want to get as much power as possible really so need to know whether its better to go with a highflow cat or de-cat! I was always led to believe that a decat is the way to go when seeking gains and response etc.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
can deal with the emissions issue and get rid of the lights via a remap.

Thing is a tuner told me that its better to have a cat as it wil give some required back pressure, so im not sure what to believe. Want to get the car up to stage 2 + spec and want to get as much power as possible really so need to know whether its better to go with a highflow cat or de-cat! I was always led to believe that a decat is the way to go when seeking gains and response etc.

I would go with a cat for the legality of it. In effect, without a cat, you are driving a car that is not fit for road use. I would seriously doubt that you will get that much difference out of a decat vs a 200 cell race cat anyway.

Even if you did, you will realise that when you have 320+ whp, an extra 5bhp more from a decat (unlikely it would be that much) wont make that much of a difference unless you can transfer them to the road by way of a diff, decent suspension and other uprated bits.

Try to get a run in a "legal" stage 2+ car and see what you think if you dont believe me ;)

Bear in mind with JonnyC's car, he is running with it pretty well stripped, with diff, proper suspension bushes etc etc etc.

His car vs Bens road spec (non stripped) Stage 2 Edition 30 (with OEM Pump, Intercooler and Engine Cover Intake) over the 1/4 mile was only 0.3 seconds faster and top speed wise, well unless you are gonna be racing it, you aint gonna see it on the road and if you do, then you are gonna end up banned ;)

jdearden

I've asked similar questions in the past, was told you can get an exhaust temp extension lead so that it takes in cooler air from further down the system...don't know what that has to do with anything really?

I'm pretty sure I saw some test results somewhere for the decat 3.0inch down to a 2.5inch cat back (tested on gti mk5) and the results were quite impressive over the standard cat. (in excess of 21bhp)

I think yes you do require 'some' back pressure but i'm pretty sure this turbo doesn't require as much as other types.

Another alternative is an exhaust valve, you can have an off pipe and valve connected to your system. This means you bypass the whole system at the flick of a switch and then have the sound and performance when you want. I believe exhaust manufacturer Kreissieg incorporate this system on their high end exhausts.

Performance wise there were some very good (internal company) results.
Also when the valve is shut you would be perfectly legal and pass MOT's.

But as DJhorace said, the gains of 5ish bhp over a sport cat may not be worth it come MOT time and the law.

For less hassle sport cat/ back back
For sound and more performance: decat
Best of both world: Valvetronic Exhaust

jdearden

I'm goin' Milltek TBE - Is there anything illegal about this set-up?

Nah you're fine with the milltek. As long as the gasses that leave your car pass regulations when tested then you are fine. I've even heard in some cases cars passing without a cat. Forgot what the figure is now.

It's not just that you won't pass your mot if you're car doesn't comply...you've got VOSA in the UK who won't think twice about taking your car off the road.

Poverty

Nah you're fine with the milltek. As long as the gasses that leave your car pass regulations when tested then you are fine. I've even heard in some cases cars passing without a cat. Forgot what the figure is now.

It's not just that you won't pass your mot if you're car doesn't comply...you've got VOSA in the UK who won't think twice about taking your car off the road.

If I fail a vosa emissions test what will they do to me?

Cant I just blag it about my cat or engine being foofed if it fails?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Are you going to be going for stage 2+ come time?

Honestly, there is a little more to making a car fast than a decat pipe vs a race cat pipe.

Are you planning on doing all of the following as well as the downpipe?;

Uprated cat Back part of exhaust
Intercooler
Fuel Pump
Intake
Lighter wheels
Uprated suspension (coilies bushes etc etc)
Diff
Uprated Clutch
Lightened fly wheel
Strip interior
Remove A/C
Lighter 2 piece brakes
etc
etc
etc

Any one of them will make more difference than a decat over a race cat I reckon with the exception of the cat back part of the exhaust and the clutch.

Having seen a stage 2+ Cupra against a stage 1 Cupra last night, there is not a night and day difference between them, and that is a difference of 60bhp. On the road, you wont see any difference between 200 cell downpipe and decat in my humble opinion, but a car inspector would, as would your insurance company in the event of an accident ;)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
If he were to say get an APR DP, aren't these 100 cell cat's, would this then be better still than a 200cell cat? but better than no cat?

P.S. Didn't realise the difference between stage 1 and stage two was that big, it's worth having at those gains.

Stock = 255bhp ish
Stage 1 Remap = 310bhp ish
Stage 2 Remap + TBE Exhaust (with race cat) + Panel Filter = 325bhp ish
Stage 2+ Remap + TBE Exhaust (with race cat) + Proper Intake + Intercooler Upgrade + Uprated Fuel Pump = 360bhp ish

With regard to the downpipe, one day someone will probably go to the bother of testing various intakes/exhausts etc back to back. I think at that point it would be possible to comment on APR 100 vs Milltek 200 vs Decat.

I know on some 100 Cell cats on the 1.8T, there were often issues with emissions, but they were not APR downpipes.

Poverty

Are you going to be going for stage 2+ come time?

Honestly, there is a little more to making a car fast than a decat pipe vs a race cat pipe.

Are you planning on doing all of the following as well as the downpipe?;

Uprated cat Back part of exhaust
Intercooler
Fuel Pump
Intake
Lighter wheels
Uprated suspension (coilies bushes etc etc)
Diff
Uprated Clutch
Lightened fly wheel
Strip interior
Remove A/C
Lighter 2 piece brakes
etc
etc
etc

Any one of them will make more difference than a decat over a race cat I reckon with the exception of the cat back part of the exhaust and the clutch.

Having seen a stage 2+ Cupra against a stage 1 Cupra last night, there is not a night and day difference between them, and that is a difference of 60bhp. On the road, you wont see any difference between 200 cell downpipe and decat in my humble opinion, but a car inspector would, as would your insurance company in the event of an accident ;)

plan on doing all of that apart from the last 3. Think I will get mine mapped sometime this month by giac or revo.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Stock = 255bhp ish
Stage 1 Remap = 310bhp ish
Stage 2 Remap + TBE Exhaust (with race cat) + Panel Filter = 325bhp ish
Stage 2+ Remap + TBE Exhaust (with race cat) + Proper Intake + Intercooler Upgrade + Uprated Fuel Pump = 360bhp ish

With regard to the downpipe, one day someone will probably go to the bother of testing various intakes/exhausts etc back to back. I think at that point it would be possible to comment on APR 100 vs Milltek 200 vs Decat.

I know on some 100 Cell cats on the 1.8T, there were often issues with emissions, but they were not APR downpipes.

The gains are certainly worth having then.

djhorace seems like a man/woman of wise words id go by what he says as it all seems to make sence.
afterall a 200cell cat isnt going to be that restrictive.
vosa will rape you probally fine you get your car off the road and give you a producer notice.
also your get pulled endless amounts with the amount of noise it will make.

Last edited:

Poverty

now just need to figure out whether to go blue fame TBE or Milltek....

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I'd go for the Milltek

:yes:

Customer service is second to none, and they back their products to the hilt.

The exit is OEM style, its quiet when you want it, crisp on accelaration and very racy when on full tune. Quality product and not at all chavvy :)

I would defo buy another.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
:yes:

Customer service is second to none, and they back their products to the hilt.

The exit is OEM style, its quiet when you want it, crisp on accelaration and very racy when on full tune. Quality product and not at all chavvy :)

I would defo buy another.

+1.

Excellent customer service recently experienced by myself - and it does exactly what it says on the tin:D

Poverty

milltek is a proven product but im curious as to what the blueflame would sound like! No harm being different and all that!

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
milltek is a proven product but im curious as to what the blueflame would sound like! No harm being different and all that!

Used Blueflame TBE on my LCR for 4 yrs without any trouble. Has this one been tested to your satisfaction on the mk2?.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise