LCR: Inner cv joint split, and noise (right side)

RogerW

Viking
Feb 26, 2005
Norway
Is it possible to buy this part separate, or do I have to buy the whole driveshaft with both joints?

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
but if there is a noise then you may have seazed something my mate has just had his driveshaft replace under warrenty by Ford (he has an ST) his CV boot had split and due to grit and other crap getting into the joint he needed a new driveshaft on one side and other work done to his suspension, do you get a judder at slower speeds (30-40mph)when accelerating. If he didnt get it done under warrenty would have cost him £800 to have done including labour

RogerW

Viking
Feb 26, 2005
Norway
No, I can't feel any juddering. Just this grinding noise when on full lock and on throttle. As I understand;

grinding - inner cv joint
knocking - outer cv joint.

I can also see that the gaiter has grease on the outside, and that there are some grease on the heat shield too.

Think I will try to source inner cv joint then, with gaiter etc.

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
yeah you can buy the cv boot seperate. comes with new grease and gasket. only thing is the driveshaft has to be removed to replace it.

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
mine was grinding and was infact the bearings inside the joint had worn and the grinding noise is them trying to come out of the mechanism. Got the whole lot replaced.

RogerW

Viking
Feb 26, 2005
Norway
Have fitted new inner and outer cv-joints now, front right, but it didnt make any difference. What a dissapointment:confused:
Wondering if the dampers could be the problem?
Or maybe a wheel bearing, even if the dealers said they were all ok...

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Have fitted new inner and outer cv-joints now, front right, but it didnt make any difference. What a dissapointment:confused:
Wondering if the dampers could be the problem?
Or maybe a wheel bearing, even if the dealers said they were all ok...

I know this is REALLLLYYYY old, but RogerW, did you ever find out the cause of the noise?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.