Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Re: LCR light weight edition, D day part 1

RAF Ned Racer boy knows all the tricks ;)
LOL

Looking good Wille.

Have you ever considered looking at Racelogics launch control and traction control unit.

I happened to come across a video lip for 034motorport's race car an audi a4 that uses both launch control and traction control. Not sure if its a Racelogic unit they are using but I'm interested in finding out if its possible to have at least the Racelogic traction control fitted on our Leons.

Just finished fitting an SEM Manifold and had an awesome run today car pulled noticabley better than before so now have an RMR manifold to flog of.....

Looking forward to seeing your car development keep up the good work.

Indy,
Your car is an absolute beast, just now I don't have any issues getting traction.
I'll be getting a custom map to give me as much torque as possible but still be able to use it.

TBH I'm not too fond of electronic gizmos, I know it will help you massively and perhaps without this, getting off the line would be very very difficult. I doubt I'm going to have so much power that this will ever be too big an issue for me. Also I'm building more of a track car than a 1/4 mile car.
I will do 1/4 miles but just not building the car for this, more pure track car

I'm more looking into getting a raw car with as little electronics as possible.
I'm going to investigate how the car feels with all electronics removed, ESP, TCS and ABS, if possible.

I would love to have an EVO but its the electronics that puts me off.
If I ca built a car that will allow me to walk away from EVO's and Scoobies on the trck I will be a very happy man.

Driver skill over electronics :)

RobDon

Pro Detailer

Rob had a very expensive catch can fitted and as far as I remember this was vented to atmosphere. His can had lots of baffles in it.

Soon after fitting this he had piston seal issues that could have only been this as his cars only done 40,000 miles ish.

Stick with the OEM set up to be sure

It was a Saikou Michi catch can recirculated back to the intake. The baffling appeared to be too dense causing a build up of crankcase pressure, which blew the valve stem oil seals. Someone else with a SM can had hoses blowing off too.

The catch tank system I made myself and am using now works perfect, it is filtered to stop junk from re-entering my intake and the tank has baffles to separate the vapours/mist etc., along with a long drain hose.

I wouldn't say OEM was the way to go if you're tracking your car. With nothing to catch any blow-by and no baffled sump, you could end up with an intake/intercooler full of oil and a knackered turbo.

Last edited:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008

It was a Saikou Michi catch can recirculated back to the intake. The baffling appeared to be too dense causing a build up of crankcase pressure, which blew the valve stem oil seals. Someone else with a SM can had hoses blowing off too.

The catch tank system I made myself and am using now works perfect, it is filtered to stop junk from re-entering my intake and the tank has baffles to separate the vapours/mist etc., along with a long drain hose.

I wouldn't say OEM was the way to go if you're tracking your car. With nothing to catch any blow-by and no baffled sump, you could end up with an intake/intercooler full of oil and a knackered turbo.

Interesting. I have no baffles in my catch can, and it is VTA atmosphere, so next to no resistance bar the ~metre of road tube. Definitely flows freely at idle; obviously can't check it easily under load/boost!

RobDon

Pro Detailer

No offense but having an empty catch can does pretty much nothing. You need something inside for the oil mist/vapours to collide with to slow it down enough to separate the moisture and oil from the air.

Also, when the engine is in vacuum, have you not considered that the engine could be sucking in all sort of muck from that open hose? (unless you have a filter on the end of it?)

Anyway, back on topic.

Last edited:

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge

LOL

I'm more looking into getting a raw car with as little electronics as possible.
I'm going to investigate how the car feels with all electronics removed, ESP, TCS and ABS, if possible.

I would love to have an EVO but its the electronics that puts me off.
If I ca built a car that will allow me to walk away from EVO's and Scoobies on the trck I will be a very happy man.

Driver skill over electronics :)

I'm not fond of 1/4 miles and will not be doing any. If I had enough money I would by now have liked to enter in some races... this car is now only being developed for track days.

Willie if you get rid of the ABS system then there is a considerable amount of work involved in converting you braking system... A while ago I saw a Seat Challenge Car sponsored by Forge and that was 260bhp race car built from factory. Car belongs to Paul Horton and he also had a brake bias system close to the hand brake which could be altered whilst racing. At first It seemed like a good idea but after speaking to Bill, he is still running ABS on his Badger wagon and I decided not to make any changes there.

By the way this reminds me, before you gut your headlight, Forge Motorsport made a special air intake duct for this challenge car. If you’re interested and want more info then speak to Forge they might do you one and if you need Paul’s email address then please IM me.

I too would like to get the new Impreza WRX STI. But I agree with you like you there is nothing better than building a raw track day car. I have really enjoy building my car and am very thank full for Bill, JP and Alex for there ongoing support.

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge

No offense but having an empty catch can does pretty much nothing. You need something inside for the oil mist/vapours to collide with to slow it down enough to separate the moisture and oil from the air.

Also, when the engine is in vacuum, have you not considered that the engine could be sucking in all sort of muck from that open hose? (unless you have a filter on the end of it?)

Anyway, back on topic.

Apologies in advance to anyone I might offend but apart from the VAG scene I'm a regular spectator at the JapFest.

Getting down to the point, last year I learned something new, alot of jap cars are using generic HKS catch tanks, some they had an un usual extra in their tanks and believe me or not this was a stainless steel scour pad same one used for scrubbing pans. This apparently helps to trap alot of the moisture. My uncle who's got a moded twin turbo Supra (60 year old [B)] ) implemented that idea and says it works.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer

That's what I've got in mine - stainless steel cleaning pads, they are loose though and can be expanded to create a nice filler for a catch can. I also have flat mesh in there as well to separate the intakes from the outlet. Yes it does work.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts

so, to clear up...im sure theres a few members, myself included using catchtanks with no baffles or mesh or whatever, i think philc, cowie and a few others are doing the same.. are you saying this isnt right and doing nothing?

one thing i noticed, maybe not related but engine seems to scream a little louder on high boost than before the tank was fitted?? may be unrelated..

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts

hmmmh... so rob, how did you fix the scouring pad into the tank?

p.s sorrie for the thread jack willie:)

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts

yeah, sorry crap description... im with you what it is rob... how do you fit it, just lay it in..

also the guaze??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland

Rob, I disagree with you.
My catch can has no baffles or meshes of any sort but what it does have is a long exit to TIP pipe. The vapours get sucked in to the can and splatter against this pipe and the sides of the catch can and seperate from the gases/vapours, then the vapours carry on.
Indy, thank you for your comments, i'm still very in the dark about the causes of ripping out the electronics so any input or previous experince is welcome.
So another big step tomorrow, gear box with differential will be fitted tomorrow evening :)
All going well the car will go in for MOT later this week too.
Looking forward to a almost new gear box with perfect bearings and gears........... Oh and an LSD.
It always been a bit of a holey grail for me a diff.
This with more power should make for a great track car

RobDon

Pro Detailer

Long exit pipe is in effect a baffle as you're giving the air/vapours/mist something to collide with to slow them down before exiting out of the can, so you're not disagreeing with me at all. :D

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts

so no need to baffle then willie... confusing hell!!

dont suppose the baffle/steel mesh thing would hurt

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire

This with more power should make for a great track car

If you ever get it finished....:hide::p Only kidding loon.

I made my catch tank so the inlet is pointing down the way forcing the oil/water/air on to the base of the can and i've used sponge in the lid before the exit pipe to help catch the oil residue.

The can collects more oily water with the sponge than with out - fact! So i'm with Robbie on this one.

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen

surely a sponge of all things isnt a good idea though incase it breaks down and sucks into the tip? A Diff does sound a nice idea lol mmmm DDDDIIiiiiiiifffffff :drive1:

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire

There is no way for the sponge to get into the TIP, it's blocked off! ;) You should vent the can to atmosphere as that's the whole point, so you don't have oily/water vapour going back into the intake.:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise