LCR or dc2 Integra?

Apr 22, 2010
Leicester
i was in the same sort of position a while ago, i was thinking teg/ctr/lcr/vxr, coming from a track 106 gti on bodies i wanted something with some go but keeping the handling up there.

I went for the LCR and i don't regret it one bit, it is not as exciting thrashing it round the b roads as my old car, which was something i loved doing. but planting your foot and being taken away by the turbo is a completely different but equally thrilling experience. I think i matured a bit over the transition period and the LCR deffo suits me more now, it is perfectly happy being driven hard, cruising on the motorway or being crawled around town trying to keep the MPG up.

I have owned mine for coming up to 2 years now, i have not had 1 fault, needed £50 spending on it to get it through an mot, a new tyre as i had a nail in the wall.. the rest has been spent on fuel/insurance/tax nothing else. in that time i have averaged 29.4MPG aswell so not too bad! (stage 1)

Also on the handling front, i don't know if its because i have grown up a bit and dont feel the need to hoon around everywhere now, or the rush of boosting in straight lines is enough, i dont really feel the need to take the car anywhere near the limit when it comes to corners.

in summary and purely on my own opinion...

CTR - similar to the LCR but without boost and gets boring pretty quickly. (+ every chav has one now)
DC2 - nice motors, awesome handling, too noisy to llive with on a day to day basis though and 3 doors is annoying as you get old!

daav

i was in the same sort of position a while ago, i was thinking teg/ctr/lcr/vxr, coming from a track 106 gti on bodies i wanted something with some go but keeping the handling up there.

I went for the LCR and i don't regret it one bit, it is not as exciting thrashing it round the b roads as my old car, which was something i loved doing. but planting your foot and being taken away by the turbo is a completely different but equally thrilling experience. I think i matured a bit over the transition period and the LCR deffo suits me more now, it is perfectly happy being driven hard, cruising on the motorway or being crawled around town trying to keep the MPG up.

I have owned mine for coming up to 2 years now, i have not had 1 fault, needed £50 spending on it to get it through an mot, a new tyre as i had a nail in the wall.. the rest has been spent on fuel/insurance/tax nothing else. in that time i have averaged 29.4MPG aswell so not too bad! (stage 1)

Also on the handling front, i don't know if its because i have grown up a bit and dont feel the need to hoon around everywhere now, or the rush of boosting in straight lines is enough, i dont really feel the need to take the car anywhere near the limit when it comes to corners.

in summary and purely on my own opinion...

CTR - similar to the LCR but without boost and gets boring pretty quickly. (+ every chav has one now)
DC2 - nice motors, awesome handling, too noisy to llive with on a day to day basis though and 3 doors is annoying as you get old!

exactly the kind of review i was after tbh, im getting older and coming from a mountune Fiesta ST (the only reason i dont want a ctr is its too similar) i would like something with more power yet civilised and if i want to go on a trip to the Nurburgring i wont left feeling unsatisfied.

now its just finding one for the right price and within my area! they seem few and far between!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 22, 2010
Leicester
i honestly dont think you will be disappointed mate, the only side i can see you not being amazingly keen on is the handling, but like i previously said, its not the type of car you feel the need to throw into a corner, you can go in comfortably ready to unleash some boost on the other side :)

even then if you are not happy there are plenty of mods you can do to get it handling better, personally i have not felt the need to though.

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
I'm exactly the same, really not bothered about giving it the large down the b roads, just love the feel of the boost when i need that speed fix. Anyway the raods in UK are so busy you only get to drive about 20seconds on a b road before you get stuck behind some numpty who can't even drive at the speed limit! grrrrrr

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
well on the handling fron i read a few reviews before i bought my LCR and they all reved about the handling, in comparison to my Audi A3 1.8 remapped to 180 this think is on rails, very litte understeer, yea if you absolutly hammer it into a corner it will but it has sports suspension cast wishbone and big tyres, the LCR sticks in the corners imo but with a front and back ARB its even better

Apr 22, 2010
Leicester
i wasnt saying it handled badly, just coming from something that handled better than i thought possible, it isn't all that, but nothing will be! :)

kpm197

Jan 29, 2012
how about the clio 172 cup? it's quick, handles well and averages 38mpg (on the same run the LC manages 30mpg). the only thing you're missing on the clio is the build quality which obviously won't be that of the leon, and the create comforts (no abs or aircon), but then it does weigh 300kg less than the leon.

for me personally, the LC is boring compared with the cup. so was my old integra, but i only had the 170bhp Si (jap import).

i'm sure the LCR is a different prospect, just thought i'd throw in a mention for the renaultsport range. they're cheap too.

1ntense

not into renaults mate. I had considered one but then saw the interiors and they remind me of the renault lorries that Ive driven before which I hated. The interior is too plasticy for me lol

Im sure theyre great fun, I also dont like the look of them tbh so yeah, its a no no for a 172/182.

Someone on the VXR forum just posted saying his LCR on coilovers out handled his VXR hands down so thats something else to think about.

Its just so hard making a decision lol its a fair whack of money tbf 5k on a car, just dont want to make the wrong decision lol

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Put it this way, a 5k LCR will get a tidy one. A 5k ITR could be Ropey, could be good, a 5k VXR will most likely be a dog. But, look in a few years time, the ITR has started depreciating again, meant the 5k one I bought I struggled to get £3.5k for after 8months. My LCR will probably have gone up in value as I bought when they were cheap, and vxr's seem to be depreciating like a stone!

youngyWHU

I was in the same position as yourself last year. Had to get rid of the evo for a more conservative family orientated car. I test drove the lcr, ctr, teg dc5, st, a3 3.2v6 and bmw320d. The lcr was the best all rounder. As said above, you can drive it depending on your mood, hammer it, cruise, max mpg.... Whereas the vtec is constantly revving to get any real enjoyment. The a3 was nice, amazing sound from the v6 but very boring and seemed very laboured to drive. I ruled out the bimmer early on as rwd in the countryside isn't clever. Which left me with the lcr and st. The lcr h:rofl:andled soooo much better its unreal. Bearing in mind these were all standard apart from dc5.

I had 6k to spend from my evo sale and for the money you can get a newer, lower mileage, cleaner lcr than many of the mentioned above.

Just hold out for the right one as I brought the 4th one I viewed....

And there are also a lot less lcrs on the road.

Last edited:

1ntense

Thanks guys, every reply is helping that little bit towards me making a decision. LCR with ARB and uprated suspension is sounding good.

The VXR is my mates, hes offered me it for 5k, Ive had a look and the same age and mileage are going for 6.5k+ so thats the main reason thats in the mix tbh. I wouldnt have considered one otherwise, its also red which Im not keen on with them. LCRs however I quite like in red.

BTW if anyone reading this has got one for sale, with under 60k. Tbh I havent quite got 5k, I would have to pay my mate the other 500 up. So a 225 model LCR for 4.5k ish then feel free to PM me of post on the thread :)

Im based near Leicester btw.

The thing that keeps me coming back to LCR is the front end, I love it lol also when I drove one for all of a mile or 2, it did feel very nice to drive, I also would love a boosted car but as I said the mpg puts me off a lot.

I know people like to exaggerate figures, can someone tell me honestly what I can expect on average, mostly driving normally with a bit of a squirt here and there and the odd spirited drive?

Segger

Nov 19, 2010
Ipswich
It will easily hit high 20's town driving, maybe mid 30s on run. I'd say the lcr is the most sensible best option :D

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
I wouldn't get too hung up on mileage. My one is on 131k, and when I pulled it apart to put rods in it was better condition than some 30k engines I've seen. I'd prefer high mileage that's had low owners as this means it was mostly on a motorway.

1ntense

Maybe I look at mileage in a naive way. I just know that I would be happier to see 50k on the clock than 90+ obviously easier to sell on as well tbf.

High 20s in town and mid 30s on a run? I had it in my head 25mpg on a good tank and 18 on a bad one.

Hmmm.. I really need to take one out I think.

Just remembered actually. I took an old Y plate cupra out a while back for kicks and that was mega fun, just the low down torque of the turbo. If I thought that was fun, Im sure the LCR would put a bigger smile on my face lol

That car was funny though, it had those energy/economy tyres on, I took it round a small roundabout about 4 times and the lack of grip was comical. To think the average joe runs similar tyres on their cars is a scary thought tbh.

I had an Alfa 156 at that point and the ride/handling of that old cupra was far superior so maybe theyre not as bad as Im thinking in that regards :)

1ntense

ah right cool, Im in market harborough mate

wasnt sure I said where I was based in the thread or on profile so wondered how you knew where I was lol

Im still slightly confused tbh? lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.