LCR or dc2 Integra?

Loud

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Never underestimate vtec, its not boost, totally different feel as are the cars you've mentioned. I'm learning to hate my cupra due to all the little niggles that commonly crop up. It's a nice drive when it is working though, much comfier than a teg in every way. Boost is great, even if I only get it sporadically.

The teg is utterly different, and no point comparing it to an EP3 as its different than that again. You'll feel every little lump in the road, every pothole, every little stone. You'll be out-torqued by many other cars, looked down on by EVOs, Scoobies et al. You'll never get the mpg figures you mentioned earlier. You'll mostly have to get parts imported and that can be pricey. You'll wish the interior wasn't so bland and that you had more gadgety switches to play with. You'll forever curse the magnolia white paint that needs a damn good machining to get any depth, then you'll find the wafer thin paint chips too easily. You'll see that budget tyres will never work on a teg, you'll always be looking for the start of rust.

But....you will feckin love it!

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't live with my teg now, two kids don't help lol I chose a cupra after loads of deliberation. Must admit if I'd understood fully how many little things can go wrong I'd have possibly not gone for a Leon.

As already said, very different cars. My way to sum it up...

The lcr is very nice indeed, I have a cupra but have driven an lcr before deciding on the cupra.

The dc2...is a car that any driver needs to have owned before they die!

1ntense

Never underestimate vtec, its not boost, totally different feel as are the cars you've mentioned. I'm learning to hate my cupra due to all the little niggles that commonly crop up. It's a nice drive when it is working though, much comfier than a teg in every way. Boost is great, even if I only get it sporadically.

The teg is utterly different, and no point comparing it to an EP3 as its different than that again. You'll feel every little lump in the road, every pothole, every little stone. You'll be out-torqued by many other cars, looked down on by EVOs, Scoobies et al. You'll never get the mpg figures you mentioned earlier. You'll mostly have to get parts imported and that can be pricey. You'll wish the interior wasn't so bland and that you had more gadgety switches to play with. You'll forever curse the magnolia white paint that needs a damn good machining to get any depth, then you'll find the wafer thin paint chips too easily. You'll see that budget tyres will never work on a teg, you'll always be looking for the start of rust.

But....you will feckin love it!

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't live with my teg now, two kids don't help lol I chose a cupra after loads of deliberation. Must admit if I'd understood fully how many little things can go wrong I'd have possibly not gone for a Leon.

As already said, very different cars. My way to sum it up...

The lcr is very nice indeed, I have a cupra but have driven an lcr before deciding on the cupra.

The dc2...is a car that any driver needs to have owned before they die!

Great summary mate, really helped mate :)

I was just saying to someone on the dc2 forum in a PM that I feel a teg is something that I need to own in my lifetime and lets face it, theyre not getting any younger so now would be a good time. I could always get a LCR in a year of so down the line as well. Hmmm..

What kind of niggles have you had with your cupra then?

When you say cupra, do you mean a mk1 or mk2 btw?

Raks

Feb 4, 2012
Birmingham
'Loud' Vtecs are awesome i had a b16 ek hatchback and like i said a quick ep3 and defeated a lot of cars in both including cupra's and LCR.

Your description was bang on after all the little bits and bobs you will love it but since having my LCR i would leave civic but my mate got one, its good to trash for 30mins and den back in boost.

Honda reliability aswell is fantastic, never had any problems. Whereas the leons always getting little sensor problems, boost leaks here and there and EML popping up for no reason.

1ntense

'Loud' Vtecs are awesome i had a b16 ek hatchback and like i said a quick ep3 and defeated a lot of cars in both including cupra's and LCR.

Your description was bang on after all the little bits and bobs you will love it but since having my LCR i would leave civic but my mate got one, its good to trash for 30mins and den back in boost.

Honda reliability aswell is fantastic, never had any problems. Whereas the leons always getting little sensor problems, boost leaks here and there and EML popping up for no reason.

I think thats the main thing that puts me off tbh, the reliability. I cant be doing with having car problems all the time, getting error codes for this and that and having no clue what they mean. Then having to come on here to find out and taking it to a garage that will probably rape me to fix the fault, I just want a car that will work and take me to work and back without fail and provide me with fun when I want it to.

If it wasnt for the fault thing, it would be a stronger contender.

I seem to get the feeling that people tend to get these alot which lets face it when you shell out 5k ish for a car, really you deserve not to have to put up with that. Paying good money for a fault finding car is not my idea of a good buy really :(

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Don't buy an integra then.. Distributors, VSS's, leads, lambda sensors, coolant sensors, all sorts to wrong and theyre alot harder to diagnose. No proper OBD on them. Just a bridge the port and count the flashes.

YellowLCR

Jun 13, 2010
West Yorkshire
I think thats the main thing that puts me off tbh, the reliability. I cant be doing with having car problems all the time, getting error codes for this and that and having no clue what they mean. Then having to come on here to find out and taking it to a garage that will probably rape me to fix the fault, I just want a car that will work and take me to work and back without fail and provide me with fun when I want it to.

If it wasnt for the fault thing, it would be a stronger contender.

I seem to get the feeling that people tend to get these alot which lets face it when you shell out 5k ish for a car, really you deserve not to have to put up with that. Paying good money for a fault finding car is not my idea of a good buy really :(

I've had my 05 LCR for 2 years and never had the light on once.

1ntense

Good to know.

Wish I could go see that one today but wont be able to make it unfortunately.

With any luck, Ill be able to go see it tomorrow though.

Think Ill start a seperate thread to see how many people have had problems with theirs, it just seems Ive only been posting on the forum a few days and loads of people have mentioned the issue with getting lots of fault codes :(

1ntense

Hmmm, not sure mate.

I wouldnt have thought everyone or even the majority signed up only due to them having a problem with their car.

Some maybe but obviously not all.

Will throw one up anyway in the form of a poll if thats possible to give me a rough idea I think

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
Hmmm, not sure mate.

I wouldnt have thought everyone or even the majority signed up only due to them having a problem with their car.

Some maybe but obviously not all.

Will throw one up anyway in the form of a poll if thats possible to give me a rough idea I think

I signed up because I had a problem! I've only had to do coil packs on myn. LCR's are awesome cars, love every second of it. Loved my Honda but won't go back to vtec now.

1ntense

I suppose some people would sign up because they had a problem, Im just saying not everyone.

I signed up as I was thinking about buying one for example, same as I did on the ST forum and the VXR one.

Good to know youve not had many problems though, how much is it to sort a coilpack then as someone on the VXR site said 3 coilpacks went on their LCR when they owned one too?

Im going to try and see one next week as soon as I get a free day, pretty sure I wont be disappointed :)

1ntense

Not so bad then, Im assuming the car still drives when a coilpack goes so you wouldnt be without a car at all then?

Why anyone or most people join up is anyones guess really. Obviously some will have joined due to having a problem but Im not convinced that as you say most do.

Anyway, Im just trying to assertain whether LCRs in general have more problems than other cars in my shortlist as if they do then Ill probably steer clear.

Thats the best way I can think of trying to find out really (a poll) unless you can think of a better way?

Just trying to find out the info I need to help me decide mate.

How cheap is cheap btw?

Not sure exactly on the price, but it should be in here.

The way I see it, the proportion of people on here that have had problems with their cars, are going to be higher than the proportion of people not on here that have had problems with their cars. As all forums.

And yeah, the average LCR is probably going to have more problems than the average DC2, but at the end of the day, it's going to depend on which car you buy, and how much you've budgeted for the car, and any problems you might encounter. I'm not saying the more you spend on a car, the less problems it's going to have. There most likely is a correlation on average, but that's not stopping you from ending up with a duff one. And surely it would depend on the price of these problems...A DC2 may have less common problems, but they might be more costly? I honestly have no idea, having never owned one.

Yeah, I'd look about the forum for common problems, there may be a thread for this already? :confused:

Eitherway, when you go out looking, there's a pretty good guide here.

Last edited:

1ntense

Hmmm, in this day and age you might be right about that one mate. Im sure there are plenty of people that have had problems that dont even know what an internet forum is though tbf.

Thats a good point tbf mate, I didnt realise that Honda parts were so expensive until not so long ago. Ive heard German parts can be costly too though but good point none the less mate.

The way Im thinking atm is that I would like to own a dc2 at some point in my life and as I said earlier, theyre not getting any younger and Ive found a good one or what looks to be a good one on paper for a good price. If I get a LCR in a year or 2, the newer ones will still be a lot younger than the newest dc2 if that makes sense, so there would be plenty time to own a LCR and possibly a VXR in the future.

Something happened the other day though which could be a sign from above lol, I noticed someone posting on a mates status on facebook asking if his mate with a VXR wanted to buy a private plate, the plate being D** VXR. Spooky or coincidence? lol

Dan

Loud

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Let me know which teg you're looking at. I'm quite well known on most Honda forums, particularly MCR-VTEC and ITR-DC2. I may be able to get more info on its history and previous owners. PM me about this if you want.

1ntense

Thanks for the offer mate, the guy sounds pretty genuine though so will probably go check it out myself if I dont end up buying something else first.

Thanks again for the offer though mate :)

What was your accord like btw, would fit in with what I need but not that keen on the 5 door look of them tbh.

Its things like your sig that worry me btw Loud lol "getting to know her, when she works" lol

Loud

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
ATR was different again, nowhere near as nimble as the teg but but surprisingly chuckable for a larger car. It had what I needed, space for the kids and great fun when it was just me in it. They really do feel like a smaller car, not as planted as the teg in bends but in a straight line it would scared a few off lol

Just drive a couple of each model your thinking of mate because at the end of the day only you will know which car feels right for you and your driving style. Personally the teg was the best drivers car I've ever driven...except for the NSX-R but I didn't own that one lol

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members