LCR or dc2 Integra?

1ntense

Im trying to decide what car to buy next and the LCR keeps creeping back into my list, I was pretty set on a dc2 Integra and was thinking of a Civic Type R but after taking one out the other day, the high seating position put me off.

So atm its kind of between an LCR or a Teg. The thing that puts me off an LCR is the low mpg figures Ive heard of. I love the idea of a boosted car though as Ive never owned one.

The other thing that puts me off an LCR is for some reason Ive got it in my head that they dont handle very well, whats the verdict on this and how much difference do ARBs and coilovers/spring and damper kits make.

Are the mods expensive for LCRs?

Whats the common mods people do for more power and rough prices please?

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Have no experience of either, but thought Id give my 2p worth from what Iv read about them and opinions that come across.

I reckon if your looking for a more involving drive then go for the teg. Itl also more than likely be the better handling choice aswell, straight out the factory. Itl just lack the boost of the lcr.
Lcr will be more of a cruiser if your looking for that, or maybe you just want a fun car that you can have a blast in and which will be capable of a decent trackday.
Im sure the lcr will be too, obviously with some money spent on suspension though.

Im kinda in the same boat when I move from a diesel later this year. Want something more raw, but dont want to loose the boost and torque all together

1ntense

Yeah, its the boost that lures me to an LCR the most. Im guessing that even with money thrown at ARBs and uprated suspension, that fact that the tegs chassis is so good, I doubt the LCR would come close handling wise.

The fact that theyre boosted means its alot easier to get power out of them as well. I just dont know if Im ready for the mpg that boosted cars inevitably leave you with lol. I do about 35 miles commute to work 5 days a week so I get through a few miles. I came from a Fiesta ST and in the 4 1/2 months of owning that I think I did about 9k miles so yeah mpg is an issue really.

I do love the look of the LCR front end and I love the sound of a turbo spooling up and the sound of a BOV but theres something special about a teg. EVO mag have them down as the best FWD handling car of all time and they are obviously more iconic than an LCR. The rawness of them and the kick and sound from the VTEC is pretty special as well.

Whats the score with remaps for LCRs then? How much power/torque can be expected from a map on a standard car or lightly modded one ie exhaust and filter?

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
Yeah, its the boost that lures me to an LCR the most. Im guessing that even with money thrown at ARBs and uprated suspension, that fact that the tegs chassis is so good, I doubt the LCR would come close handling wise.

The fact that theyre boosted means its alot easier to get power out of them as well. I just dont know if Im ready for the mpg that boosted cars inevitably leave you with lol. I do about 35 miles commute to work 5 days a week so I get through a few miles. I came from a Fiesta ST and in the 4 1/2 months of owning that I think I did about 9k miles so yeah mpg is an issue really.

I do love the look of the LCR front end and I love the sound of a turbo spooling up and the sound of a BOV but theres something special about a teg. EVO mag have them down as the best FWD handling car of all time and they are obviously more iconic than an LCR. The rawness of them and the kick and sound from the VTEC is pretty special as well.

Whats the score with remaps for LCRs then? How much power/torque can be expected from a map on a standard car or lightly modded one ie exhaust and filter?

Ive had my vtecs and now im onto an LCR... I haven't had a teg but they have always been a car I love. Can't fault the hondas much, good power, amazing reliability and vtec sounds awesome. The problem I found with my Vtecs are torque... Absoloutly shite im afraid and you find you guzzle the fuel on runs as you have to give it a bit to get it going anywhere. Other problem I had is noise, while vtec sounds awesome in my ears, maybe it didn't to the other 100 people that could hear the thing everytime I gave it a boot, no way of giving it a boot quitly lol.

LCR is awesome aswel, lots of power and with just a stage one remap, open cone filter and forge recirc I got 265bhp and 290lb/ft. Problem with the LCR is I find there not as reliable as the hondas, they have quite a few common faults you always end up repairing.

Hard call really, both awesome cars just depends what you really want from the car.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
two completely different cars, one is a 2 door coupe that fit's two people the other is a 5 door hatch that comfortably fits five, the integra will handle better and be a sportier drive due to the nature of the car where the LCR is still a family car that can shift a bit.
as far as handling goes it depends on you as a driver really by "not handle well" means different things to different people.
a good driver will always get the best out of the car where as a poor driver will need the car to do all the work and "handle well"
on track days i have seens LCR's take scoobys,evo's,CTR's etc etc and I'm sure it was more down to the skill of the driver (not me driving) than the cars ability.

Last edited:

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
As for mpg aswel, you can achieve 35+MPG on a run in an LCR. Dont expect that on town driving. I run my LCR on momentum 99, for the sake of £2.50 extra per tank, it increases mpg and performance.

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Right, I've had both.

Question is, what do you want from the car? Comfy cruiser that'll set your hair in fire? Quick around a track car? Good b-road blaster?

They are 2 very different cars. The DC2 is a cracking car, decent set of tyres and a a rebushed example, and you'll fall in love every time you take it out on a blast. And promptly fall out if you do any motorway miles. The dc2 is a track biased car, and is very short geared. You'll do 4500rpm @ 70.
It's also a blisteringly quick car. My teg had an tanabe exhaust, AEM v2, fujitsubo manifold. Fuel economy isn't great in them, you'll be down to the teens in vtec. But on the other hand, 8500rpm is a nice feeling.

The LCR, I've had 2, the dc2 was in between them. I had a standard LCR with just a jabba map, and my current one was standard, now stage 2.

In standard form the LCR feels very very slow. My dc2 would have eaten it alive. However, with a map the LCR is totally transformed, very quick afterwards. Handling isn't a crisp on the LCR, but, it is very lardy over a dc2 (about 350kg!) but, it's a very refined car, you can drive them slowly happily, where as the dc2 is always wanting to 'go'. Turbo torque is nice too, the teg is a 5th-2nd to over take, but the LCR is happy with just a bootful of throttle.

Also, IMO the one thing that depressed me, I spent £5k on a car that was 1996. But I bought my 2004 225 LCR for £3500. It's a hell of a lot of car for the money, and with a few tweaks can be very quick too.

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
If you go and take a drive of both of them for a decent length, but the problem being the teg will win you over, it's just the day to day living with it that made me fall out of love.

1ntense

thanks for the replies guys.

in all honesty, im sure the LCRs are good cars but I think the teg wins for me out of the 2. another option thats popped up is an astra VXR that my mates offered me at a bargain price, I would be silly not to bite his hand off really but I still cant get a teg out of my head.

lots of thinking to do, Im not completely discounting an LCR, Ill take one out if I get time, well Ill take one of each out and take it from there :)

alessandro

My 2p:
I haven't owned either cars but if mpg is a worry a teg might not be the right car..

Last edited by a moderator:

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
if you want power go LCR but be prepared to put up with fault codes etc and spend more if you want to tune although its not all bad news the LCR is very capable

if you want a car that is happy to be thrashed everyday of its life with out a single problem go Teg my mate has an import dc2 and we do alot of track days in it no problems there and back just brakes and tyres also handles very well, but torque and power wise its all noise and not much going on

my LCR much much quicker on the straights but doesn't handle as well unless you polybush it and fit ARB back and front, spacers you will get better, but nothing close to the teg

be warned with vauxhall they can't take the punishment the teg could take vauxhall engine is full of sensors that like to break it won't stand up against the teg engine if you were to thrash it with in an inch of its life, nice cars though better equiped and look smart

just throw my 2p worth :D

Last edited:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
dc2's were good in the 90's,

there echo seems to of not aged though,

I wouldnt touch anything jap pree 2000 to be fair, theyre mostly dogs now, 10 bob millionaires club,

I used to like the old EK9, but theyre all past it, you can buy a 10 year younger european based car for the same money, and its far superior in every way,

LCR/LC for me, but thats just my bias view, :)

Last edited:

1ntense

Hmmm.. interesting point Dan lol. Tbh the fault code thing and unreliability is a concern to say the least, the heaviness also isnt very appealing tbh.

There are good examples still around Steely, 08 plate for the price of a teg? I suppose maybe for the 8-9k the dreamers ask for low mileage ones.

Tbh the VXR Ive been offered, whilst I wouldnt have chosen one if it wasnt my mates and the price wasnt so good that I would be a fool not to take it but they are very nice inside and 236 bhp as standard. I know theyre meant to torque steer quite badly but Im not sure how big a deal that is really as Ive heard similar about LCRs? not sure if thats true or not though.

I do love a white car though and red seats to compliment the white is a big win for me. Each car has obviously got its pros and cons. Ill probably go with my heart tbh, drive them all and buy the one that wins my heart in the end lol

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
You pay a premium for championship white, I paid £5k for a well looked after example, oil pump failure resulted in me paying out another £1400 for a bare engine. Parts for ITR's are so expensive because of the civic boys. Alot of them are burning oil now, and will require a rebuild, meaning atleast £1500 for a decent job.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Hmmm.. interesting point Dan lol. Tbh the fault code thing and unreliability is a concern to say the least, the heaviness also isnt very appealing tbh.

There are good examples still around Steely, 08 plate for the price of a teg? I suppose maybe for the 8-9k the dreamers ask for low mileage ones.

Tbh the VXR Ive been offered, whilst I wouldnt have chosen one if it wasnt my mates and the price wasnt so good that I would be a fool not to take it but they are very nice inside and 236 bhp as standard. I know theyre meant to torque steer quite badly but Im not sure how big a deal that is really as Ive heard similar about LCRs? not sure if thats true or not though.

I do love a white car though and red seats to compliment the white is a big win for me. Each car has obviously got its pros and cons. Ill probably go with my heart tbh, drive them all and buy the one that wins my heart in the end lol

I know a lot of them are overpriced for what they are, don't get me wrong I'm not slating the teg, I think sadly as with any performance motor, as they get older they fall into the wrong hands and get a stigma. 98-99 I adored the p1 impreza fat chance of affording one, but 8-10 years later, I wouldn't be seen in an older impreza. LC/lcrs are following the same route though, cheap power, which sees many cars get written off in a short space of time,

Segger

Nov 19, 2010
Ipswich
Vtecs are awesome but theres always something missing, your worried about reliability.. Stay away from vauxhall. The lcr most probably won't win your heart initially but it is a car that will grow n grow on you. Once you've made it your own also you will be in love with it. My opinion anyway

daav

Right, I've had both.

In standard form the LCR feels very very slow.

*hijack

I'm in the same position but with a CTR/LCR

looking to get a LCR and you may of put me right off :headhurt:

Last edited by a moderator:

Segger

Nov 19, 2010
Ipswich
That's just an opinion mate, my non-mapped lcr feels quicker than my mates ctr simply because of the torque. The ctr is slightly quicker 0-60 but doesn't feel it and on a motorway say, I leave him :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.