LCR turbo chatter

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Hi guys! Quick question, not to sound chavvy, But is there any way of making the lcr recirc dv to chatter? Or the forge 007?? Just seen a "lcr chatter" clip on youtube and i quite like the sound.

Cheers

Lodgey180

WoOoOoOsShH
May 3, 2008
Middlesbrough
www.mootr.co.uk
altho it does sound cool it has its performance downfalls.
when i didnt know much about LCRs i disconnected my DV and put a screw in the end of the pipe. this gives you chatter but the car feels jerky and hesitant. not to mention it shortens the life of your tubby.
just stick to recirc fella

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
i disconnected my DV and put a screw in the end of the pipe. this gives you chatter but the car feels jerky and hesitant.

This will stall your turbo as the boost has nowhere to vent to, i'll bet you weren't long putting the DV back:p

Get an open cone filter, CAI(optional), remove your bonnet lining and you are good to go if you are after strange noises.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I had this pigeon mod on my 200zx if there wasnt enough pressure to open the BOV the it would go back through the turbin blade causing the "chatter" it would also bang nicely too but they it was mapped for it and set up by APT. Its not healthy for the turbo though

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
the only place chatter shoud be is on a world rally car it sounds mint when it comes pass you but they dont care about there turbos going bang they got loads:)

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
the chattering is compressor surge/stall. Its air being forced the wrong way through the turbine, in higher boost levels it puts alot of stress on the blades and shaft.

and before anyone says it there is no such thing as "wastegate chatter"

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Ah haa!! Many thanks guys! Think ill forget that one then! Lol yeah i had the carbonio on my mk4 18t and it sounded niiice as the cone sat in the front arch!

My bro ran a T28 on his S13 (CA18) running 20psi for a year - when we stripped the engine to replace the valve stem seals we took off the turbo for inspection and there was no play in the shaft and we couldn't see any scoring or damage to the blades... don't know how the KO4 would handle it though?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I've been having a think about this for a while -

As a lot of people on here know, if you take the vac hose that runs from the N249 to top of DV off, you can generate some nice turbo chatter.... now I'm not saying I'm stupid enough to run round like this permanently, but I did give it a couple of minutes down the road having a play with it....

Now the N249 seems to constantly be sucking from this hose, meaning less pressure on the DV piston is required before it opens (effectively the same as using a softer DV spring)

When the hose is pulled off, (effectively stiffening the spring) the chatter is generated when coming off partial throttle, (when there is not enough pressure to open the DV) but when lifting off after harder boost, it sounds to me like the DV opens to let the majority of the pressure out (still giving a bit of chatter once closed again while the last bit of excess pressure escapes).

Now I know chatter is bad for the turbo under high boost levels, and simply plugging the DV hoses wouldn't be a wise idea, but my question is, if you simply use a stronger spring (or jimmy the hose off permenantly possibly with a n249bypass if that would keep the ECU happier) would this not effectively give the best of both worlds, giving the lovely sound of turbo chatter, but also having the DV operating on higher boost saving the turbo being given a proper caning...

I know obviously this scenario will be worse for the turbo than simply running the DV as normal, but how much worse, as the turbo will only be subject to the lower pressures being pushed backwards through it......

Hope you all manage to understand what I'm trying to say! It's getting late, so let me know if I've made a shambles of explaining this!

Ben

Mikey P

The Flying Custard
Mar 4, 2009
Manchester
ive also been thinking about this thread and would it not be better (performance wise) for rally cars to run recirc DVs?? im sure the idea of the recirc is to throw the excess pressure back into the inlet to keep the turbo spinning?? please correct me if im wrong tho, as im sure you will lol

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Yeah i also wondered that, people say it doesnt matter that they get chatter/compressor stall or whatever you want to call it, as they can change the turbo every day anyway, but like you say, surely in rallying they would prefer performance, and performance wise I would think it is better to run a DV, rather than slowing the turbo down forcing air backwards....

swake

just read this on wrc cars i think the chatter you are talkin about is the antilag system
which stops the turbo from stalling ,i may be wrong

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.