LCR Tyres

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
Personally I can't see by the Goodyear F1s, good in both the wet and dry and you can even get good mileage out of them. Far better than the OEM Rossos

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
lmfao, where are people experiencing all this 'lift off oversteer' with their front wheel drive cars. I keep expecting to see VAG cars facing the wrong way when i come off roundabouts!

Until your tyres are down to very low tread they should be performing very well still, especially if they are a performance compound/tread pattern. Sensible rotation of your tyres and checking of alignment should (IMO) be more beneficial - as this means you are actually checking your tyres and suspension regularly.

I think there is more to consider here than just which corner has the most tread.

Just because, in the event of oversteer, having 'more' tread on the back is theoretically gonna help, doesn't make that the prime consideration. Hell, you shouldn't be driving in a manner to create the potential!

Rotate your tyres, save some cash and spend it on a skid control course.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
well
seen as i have to do a fair chunk of motorway
i opted for tried and tested in the past nankangs
dont care what people say, they are good, i ran them on a 225bhp 4wd car over winters.

damn sight cheaper too

ive found the potenza's awful, a real let down from previous reviews.
Spare alloy set will be getting eagles or proxes

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Tallpaul said:
Just because, in the event of oversteer, having 'more' tread on the back is theoretically gonna help, doesn't make that the prime consideration. Hell, you shouldn't be driving in a manner to create the potential!

You don't have to be driving like an idiot to find yourself in a situation you can't anticipate, when that happens you want the car to behave as you expect it to.....the last thing you want is a surprise.

I find that when I have new tyres on the front and worn tyres on the rear that the front grips and grips (perhaps where it would usually start to understeer), then there is no gentle break away to oversteer it's very, very sudden (it snaps to oversteer).

When the new tyres are on the rear and I have recreated the situation in a safe environment I have found the car more predicatable and easier to control.

I have done a skid pan course and no I couldn't catch it when it happened on the road with new tyres on the front and worn ones on the back.

The cost for me was nearly killing myself on the M5 (seperate incident) and a written off Leon Cupra, IMO the above played a massive part.

It's entirely conceivable that every SCn driver is just 'better' than me though........

Last edited:

JRB

May 29, 2004
Kent
All front wheel drive cars will have power off oversterr if you let of mid corner thats why you tend to do all your braking and shifting in a straight line then let the car settle into the corner pick up the apex and blend the throttle on the way out if you hoon in and then jab the brake mid corner the weight shifting to the front will cause the back to go light and flop out never mind what end has new tyres.

Thats why when you lower cars you should always keep the rear slightly higher and thats why you have brake distributors to divide the effort to 75% front and 25% rear or you'd be sideways all the time .

Also if you have done any driver training you should know in a front wheel drive car if it starts to understeer the last thing to do is let off you just got to keep it settled or worse case power on to push out of it, never let off.

In my opinion new tyres take time to bed in and if you put them on the rear this will only take longer your best bet is to rotate them till they are all low enough to need replacing then change all four and never mix and match tyres it might be ok to pass an mot with different sizes front to rear but i wouldnt even have Pirelli on the rear and good year on the front.(for instance)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
JRB said:
Also if you have done any driver training you should know in a front wheel drive car if it starts to understeer the last thing to do is let off you just got to keep it settled or worse case power on to push out of it, never let off.

I have already agreed that tyre rotation is a good policy.

Do you find the Pirelli's which wear in the centre (no it's not over inflation).

I'm not going to get personal and discuss who's the 'best' driver becasue I am happy with the size of my penis, I am fully aware of the above but real world scenario's aren't always black and white....

Why don't you do a little Poll on here asking if people agree with you 'That in your experience Pirelli's at £120 a corner are good value'.

Have you tried anything other than Pirelli's on your LCR to compare to?

Sulli

3rd Cupra
rst_cupra_r said:
just lookin around for new ones wat does anyone think of:
Nankang NS-2's
Falken FK-452
Hankook VENTUS SPORT K104
Uniroyal RainSport 1
just want some info on the above tyres

i know about the toyo proxes t1's, michelin pilot sport etc
thanks jamie
They are all pretty cr@p tyres to be honest. All budget, except the Uniroyal which, in my experience, are absolute rubbish in the wet, despite the name.
Toyos are grippy in the dry but wear quickly, and aren't much good in the wet.
the standard P Zeros fitted as standard aren't because they are the best i'd guess, but as someone else said, they offered the best deal to SEAT - IMO they aren't a very good tyres - break off grip very suddenly, unlike the Eagle F1s which show great grip in the wet and dry.
For the LCR, for me, wet grip is the weakness because of all the power and FWD, so I tend to go for something that grips well all round, but scores particularly high in the wet - most tyres do well in the dry.
I intend to get F1s when I change quite soon - just go5t to find a good deal.

RichA3Turbo

I use Toyo Proxes on my A3...And they put 320bhp down through the front wheels in the dry in 2nd gear without much fuss. They just work!

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Hankook Ventus - ok in the dry, lousy in the damp, ok in the wet but noisy... much lower grip levels than Goodyear F1's tho!!

Vredestein Ultrac's I dodn't get on with at all - even passengers noticed how poor the car was on the road when I ran these, but other people seem to have got on ok with them... ALSO, goodyear's were better in the wet!

Pirelli PZero Nero - more dry grip than Goodyear, and wet grip was on a par also.

Only Falken I have tried was the 512, which was awful in the wet!

Heard mixed reviews of Uniroyals.

rst_cupra_r

jamie from essex
Jul 23, 2005
Braintree, Essex
thnks rog thts a good list there im not tryin to be a skin flint but as we all know undernamed tyres cam sometimes be better thn top names same with everythin like cars would off thought a seat leon would be better then a volkswagon golf ;)

PlatCupraJedi

Petrol Power
Jul 3, 2005
East Anglia
JRB, Where have you seen 225 4018 supersteel federals for £55 please ? The cheapest online i found was 70-90 and fitted at local garage around £98(with discount).

Please let me know if you can for future reference, Thanks alot

rickmyster

May 9, 2005
I have been recomended mytyres a few times now for price , service etc... only bugger is taking you're own tyres to get fitted at a garage . some garages can be arsey about this.

Also on the argument of tyres luckll i have not yet found the need to have to change my p-zeros yet , but i find they are a quite a noissey tyre maybe it's just me? i think most tryes are good in the dry but i agree with a few post that it's imparative that we have good tyres in the wet cause lets face it the lcr's like to spin lol.

DantheMan

Spanky said:
I use Kumho Ecsta 712's..... at £65 a tyre (fitted) they are a bargain. They have superb grip in the dry, awesome in the wet, very quiet and best of all, they last a reasonable length of time. I have used these on my last 3 cars, well impressed !!

Much better than the P-Zero's that were on the car when I got it.

I have just ordered 2 of these for the front of my LCR at £65 each fitted, so glad to hear they are a good tyre.:)

IBD

Here Again!
Jan 16, 2006
North West
Have had Toyo proxes on my MR2 and I found they gave good grip, were a little noisy, but extrmely soft compound, as I managed to loose the front edges after about 8500 spirited miles, but for the price they are a good tyre.
Kumhos are vastly under-rated IMHO.
Finally avoid Nankangs like bird flu!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
must say i disagree over the nankangs with you there

basically with tyres, its each to their own and alot of it depends on your regular journeys and how often you use the car. Things like proxes would be absolute bollocks on the motorway cos they would be worn in 5k odd miles, whereas nankangs will last at least double.

For "spirited driving" proxes would wee all over the cheaper end tyres.

Just make an educated choice for yourself taking into account tread patterns etc

JRB

May 29, 2004
Kent
PlatCupraJedi said:
JRB, Where have you seen 225 4018 supersteel federals for £55 please ? The cheapest online i found was 70-90 and fitted at local garage around £98(with discount).

Please let me know if you can for future reference, Thanks alot

Sorry mate that was through my work but i can only get them for myself.

Federal at £45 each +vat
Pirrelli at £102 +vat