Leon Car Mats - SNAPPED 7 CLIPS!!!!

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
Well I am well and truely miffed off about the quality of these plastic clips!!!

for a set of mats that cost upto £50 at some dealers, the plastic clips are just appalling!

I screwed the passenger side into the carpet. . no problem!! nice and secure, big smile :D

drivers side . . . not so good. after getting the clips not even half way into the carpet, the snapped CLEAN in half, leaving the other half in the carpet which i had to struggle to get out. anyway, tried again, and again, with an extra set of clips . . . snap snap snap

THEN went to remove the nicely installed passenger mat yesterday to vacuum under it and guess what?? one of those just snapped clean in half as well with very litte pressure!!!

anyone know if it's possible to get some metal ones? or some ones that aren't made of the cheapest plastic known to man??

cheers!!

GhostMjr

Dec 27, 2007
If you have just bought them take them back to where you bought them. I got the dealer to fit mine for free :D

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Nightmare! To be honest I didnt even use the clips on my own mats as they felt very tight to screw in. I use a bit of sticky back velcro which works perfectly. Think it cost about a quid from B+Q or somewhere.

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
I'm getting a replacement set of mats after a valeting company trashed the clips on mine. If I manage to fit is succesfully i'll have a spare set of clips that you are quite welcome to.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I'm getting a replacement set of mats after a valeting company trashed the clips on mine. If I manage to fit is succesfully i'll have a spare set of clips that you are quite welcome to.

thanks mate :D

and I know what you all mean about the velcro, it does sound ideal, it's just that currently my driver's mate has the two circle holes in them, and they do look like there's something missing. . . which there is . . . the truth is my drivers mat can only move about 1 cm in any direction anyway, so it's not the end of the world with regards to function, it's just the fact that I spent so much money on them and they're not fitted as SEAT intended them to be . . . just gets on my nerves a bit (as much as car mats can lol)

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
i didnt bother paying £50 for a set of matts i just bought some off ebay tailored to the car for £15 delivered, i didnt see the point in paying that much for a set of matts that are going to get full of mud and stuff. and you get some strong clips

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
well I didn't pay £12K for my car to go and buy cheap mats for it . . .

the mats themselves are excellent quality and very heavy duty so well worth the £35 I paid for them (off seremotors)

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
well I didn't pay £12K for my car to go and buy cheap mats for it . . .

the mats themselves are excellent quality and very heavy duty so well worth the £35 I paid for them (off seremotors)

end of the day there matts they dont make it go faster ye they might make it a little nicer on the inside,

but each to their own i just rather save my money and buy something else.

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
I pierced the carpet first with a pokey thing I have (sharp metal thing), then screwed the clips into the hole... So far they seem ok...

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
i didnt bother paying £50 for a set of matts i just bought some off ebay tailored to the car for £15 delivered, i didnt see the point in paying that much for a set of matts that are going to get full of mud and stuff. and you get some strong clips

Your mats will probably last a couple of months at the most whilst originals can easily last a couple of years or more (depending on usage of course) - I have my SEAT ones in for about 35K miles and whilst slightly tatty around the LEON logo, they're by no means ready for replacement. I go in with muddy feet all the time, just let it dry, brush them and then hoover.

In the long run, you'll end up paying a lot more buying cheap ones as you'll have to replace them far more often! :)

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
Your mats will probably last a couple of months at the most whilst originals can easily last a couple of years or more (depending on usage of course) - I have my SEAT ones in for about 35K miles and whilst slightly tatty around the LEON logo, they're by no means ready for replacement. I go in with muddy feet all the time, just let it dry, brush them and then hoover.

In the long run, you'll end up paying a lot more buying cheap ones as you'll have to replace them far more often! :)

i know what your saying but mine are realy good quality and they are made out of a very strong material iv had them in the car a year and still look brand new and i use the car alot, o well we could talk about this for years but i dont have the time lol

balls to matts lets mod!!!!!:D

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I've got original ones since new and in 20k miles have never clipped them in or had a problem with them moving, don't get what the fuss is about!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
The only problem I've had with the clips was the tops and bottoms separating. I just superglued them and they're fine now.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
end of the day there matts they dont make it go faster ye they might make it a little nicer on the inside,

but each to their own i just rather save my money and buy something else.

what?? mats won't make it go faster?? damn!! I thought that's what they were all about!!

think I should have probably just spent £15 on ebay mats, then I could afford one of those ebay special "go faster" chips (aka resistors) that make it go faster!!! :cartman:

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I've got original ones since new and in 20k miles have never clipped them in or had a problem with them moving, don't get what the fuss is about!

I know what you mean mate, I had a set in my 2.0 fsi (which is now in car heaven) with no clips and didn't bother me but with my new fr it's all perfect apart from the crappy cheapo clips . . .

(as I said before . . . )

"the truth is my drivers mat can only move about 1 cm in any direction anyway, so it's not the end of the world with regards to function, it's just the fact that I spent so much money on them and they're not fitted as SEAT intended them to be . . . just gets on my nerves a bit (as much as car mats can lol) "

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.