Leon cupra TDI Turbo upgrade advice

Possante

Jan 23, 2015
Hi there,

I'm John, i've got a 2004 SEAT LEON Cupra TDI.. last owner let me know the car was mapped and has around 220bhp but i haven't checked personally.. is the second cupra tdi i have, first one i mapped and had about 180bhp and i really can feel that this one has more "punch" to it ;)
Last week i was driving on my way to work and in 6th gear around 2.500 - 3.000 rpm it went into limp mode, turbo stopped working... after i turn engine off and on again turbo was working as normal.. the day after i start driving and the turbo was off again from the start, after turning engine off and on again turbo worked as it should (if you know what i mean hehe). I guess that is time for me to upgrade my turbo and would be amazing if i could get some advise from you 'guys' that i am sure, knows much more then me. I was thinking about buying a turbo that allowed me to map the car to have between 240-250 bhp after a new remap. I have upgraded intercooler already. Any advice on each turbo should i search and any other thing that i am missing? I apologise in advance if i am asking anything that you might think that will damage my vehicle or that is not possible..
Thanks
:)

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Get the Mr. Muscle out before buying yourself a new turbo bud, unless you're really determined to get a new turbo in there. Not sure where you upgrade on from the VB though, possibly a hybrid? Seriously though I'd try cleaning the vanes out first

Coops1645

Dec 8, 2019
Think the hybrid is the 17/22 though if it helps? Not sure, I'm sure someone could correct me

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Sounds very much like the variable vanes are sticking which is quite common, as mentioned above use Mr Muscle (search on YouTube).
Hybrid 1756 turbo would get you to 250bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possante

Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the advice Coops1645 and BruceR and sorry for delayed reply.. I did use Mr. Muscle to clean it up.. my turbo was worst then expected, while accelerating in 3rd gear heard a noise and started smoking white from exhaust so I guess turbo is gone. Got the car in mechanic to check if it was only the turbo or if there is any other issue with it.. Am expecting a call at the end of the day.. Fingers crossed hehe

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Stock turbo will not push more than 190bhp so previous owner is lying through his teeth at a 220bhp claim.

a hybrid gt1749vb would only get to the 220-230bhp mark anyways.

if you want more than that you have to go bigger turbo, darkside developments do big turbo kits but your talking big money.

you would also require uprated injectors, uprated clutch and single mass flywheel to cope with the torque.

Possante

Jan 23, 2015
Sounds very much like the variable vanes are sticking which is quite common, as mentioned above use Mr Muscle (search on YouTube).
Hybrid 1756 turbo would get you to 250bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loved the upgrades on your fr... If my mechanic don't charge me a fortune to fix mine I will fit bolt on hybrid turbo and map it to 220bhp but with more acceleration then top speed, Launch control, rpm limiter and temp control..
Opened to any suggestion :)