Leon mk1 amp and speaker fitting question

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Evening,

1) When wiring in an amp i understand that I need to connect a cable from the amp to the head unit. Where at the head unit does it connect? The standard ISO plugged straight into the HU so i cant see any loose cables??

2) What speaker size do i need for my components? I've seen 6.5" inch, 6" inch, 16cm, 17cm or 16.5cm? Will i need adapters?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Are you familiar with RCA's? Basically like a twin phono lead from your head unit to the amp.

Should be a separate red AND white ended leads. These wouldnt have come with the head unit OR the amp, separate purchase along with power cable and remote wire.

Jimski

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Are you familiar with RCA's? Basically like a twin phono lead from your head unit to the amp.

Should be a separate red AND white ended leads. These wouldnt have come with the head unit OR the amp, separate purchase along with power cable and remote wire.

Jimski

haha yeah i am, sorry i had a stupid moment and didnt ask what i was actually asking. apart from the speaker size question I was after a solution to the cable that switches the amp on remotely as oppposed to the RCA's

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Go on then......ask away lol, the remote wire is the BLUE wire in the loom of the head unit....?

Jimski :p

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
if its an aftermarket one it should be a blue with white stripe 1.
the solid blue one is the antenna on.
if you do not have a remote lead you can use the ignition wire,however depending upon the vehicle you may hear a thud from the sub when powered up as the remote has a delayed feed

what radio do you have?as said you should have a set of red and white rca's for the phono lead to plug into.

speaker size you can have any of the sizes you listed and will require a speaker adapter

vw ones for a mk4 golf fit if you cant find seat leon specific

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
if its an aftermarket one it should be a blue with white stripe 1.
the solid blue one is the antenna on.
if you do not have a remote lead you can use the ignition wire,however depending upon the vehicle you may hear a thud from the sub when powered up as the remote has a delayed feed

what radio do you have?as said you should have a set of red and white rca's for the phono lead to plug into.

speaker size you can have any of the sizes you listed and will require a speaker adapter

vw ones for a mk4 golf fit if you cant find seat leon specific

nice one thanks. its a clarion cz109er. Does the standard ISO have a blue with white stripe? or could i get an ISO to ISO thing with it on?

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
cant get the installation manual for the unit to load up to see the wiring diagram however if it has pre-outs (says it has 2) ive never seen a unit not have the remote lead or itd thud every time it was turned on when wired up :)

you cant just buy an adapter with the wire on it,the output has to be from the radio

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
ok cool beans. seems logical.

in your opinion, would a set of components need amping or could they run just as well off the head unit? I'm not out for MASSIVE bass or volume, just want it to sound good and to be fair, the standard speakers are sounding pretty good as it is!!

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
amping far outweighs just wiring to the headunit but if you want clarity more so than volume you dont need to look that far

sound proofing/deadening is essential,itll make a massive difference.

Last edited:

Jay Sport

Evening,

1) When wiring in an amp i understand that I need to connect a cable from the amp to the head unit. Where at the head unit does it connect? The standard ISO plugged straight into the HU so i cant see any loose cables??

2) What speaker size do i need for my components? I've seen 6.5" inch, 6" inch, 16cm, 17cm or 16.5cm? Will i need adapters?

I joined this site after purchasing Leon mk1 1.8 T I searched everywhere about changing door speakers, but as you might have guessed this site is full of sales men and chavs, you will not get any help, anyway the amp wire is blue the rem wire which needs to be connected to the HU

The DOOR SPEAKERS are a pain in the ass they are rivited in so you are going to make a bit of a mess and try not to get speakers with a fat magnet cuz it aint gona fit they way you gona want it to. I got 6.5" Audiobahn well i aint finished yet to give you feedback on how they sound as long as their is no air leak I used foam spray to cushion them in ... tomorrow its the HU which is double din DVD player then it will be the amps then the tints and it carries on:think:

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
I joined this site after purchasing Leon mk1 1.8 T I searched everywhere about changing door speakers, but as you might have guessed this site is full of sales men and chavs, you will not get any help, anyway the amp wire is blue the rem wire which needs to be connected to the HU

The DOOR SPEAKERS are a pain in the ass they are rivited in so you are going to make a bit of a mess and try not to get speakers with a fat magnet cuz it aint gona fit they way you gona want it to. I got 6.5" Audiobahn well i aint finished yet to give you feedback on how they sound as long as their is no air leak I used foam spray to cushion them in ... tomorrow its the HU which is double din DVD player then it will be the amps then the tints and it carries on:think:

think you should get off your high horse to be honest

wrecker

think you should get off your high horse to be honest
+1 on that

What was that all about? Jay Sport, I just checked and you've only posted up on two other threads, both of which had loads of helpful responses and useful info for the OPs, so can't see what the problem is. All very helpful posts above as well. I've only been on here two weeks, asked some fairly newbie questions no doubt, but had nothing but good advice and help.

Anyway, as has been said (As I've recently been studying the wiring diagrams for my Alpine HU), the remote amp switch on is blue with a white stripe coming direct from the HU wiring harness. It's not part of the ISO leads. Not all stereos have it, so you want to check the wiring diagram for yours if you can or just look at the wiring harness and see if it's there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.