Leon Mk3 Wheel Sizes?

Jun 15, 2013
pcd on new leon is 5x112 and et50 mate.

The PCD is 5 x 112 and the centre bore is 57.1 but the OEM ET is not 50.

The OEM 6.5 x 16" wheels on the Mk 3 SE have an ET46. The OEM Mk 2 used ET50.

Other sizes have different ET's which are cast/stamped into the rear of the wheel.

Mk 3 wheels have a different ET to Mk 2 wheels but the ET's are common with other new models using the MQB platform.

Took me several weeks to get a set of wheels for my winter tyres. Loads of Mk 2 wheels but Mk 3 are thin on the ground.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
The PCD is 5 x 112 and the centre bore is 57.1 but the OEM ET is not 50.

The OEM 6.5 x 16" wheels on the Mk 3 SE have an ET46. The OEM Mk 2 used ET50.

Other sizes have different ET's which are cast/stamped into the rear of the wheel.

Mk 3 wheels have a different ET to Mk 2 wheels but the ET's are common with other new models using the MQB platform.

Took me several weeks to get a set of wheels for my winter tyres. Loads of Mk 2 wheels but Mk 3 are thin on the ground.

Hi, thanks for the reply. So when I buy wheels do I have to focus on matching the ET at all? As I know what wheels I want, I just don't want to buy them to find that they don't fit.

As you can probably tell I've never bought wheels before.

Thanks

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Yes you need to make sure you get the correct et for your car, not having the right et for your car will cause all sorts of issues
Do a search on the internet, there are plenty of calculators that will allow you to put in the car you have the size wheels you want to fit to it and will give you the tyre profile etc etc that you need

Its well worth taking the time to research a little about what things like et mean and how to keep the same rolling radius correct etc

It gets expensive to buy wheels and tyres to then find they don't fit so its worth a bit of research

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Yes you need to make sure you get the correct et for your car, not having the right et for your car will cause all sorts of issues
Do a search on the internet, there are plenty of calculators that will allow you to put in the car you have the size wheels you want to fit to it and will give you the tyre profile etc etc that you need

Its well worth taking the time to research a little about what things like et mean and how to keep the same rolling radius correct etc

It gets expensive to buy wheels and tyres to then find they don't fit so its worth a bit of research

Well the wheels I want are the Audi 5 spoke ones that are like a graphite colour, you may have seen them. In either 17" or 18", abit undecided on size as I don't know how hard the ride would be.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Well the wheels I want are the Audi 5 spoke ones that are like a graphite colour, you may have seen them. In either 17" or 18", abit undecided on size as I don't know how hard the ride would be.

I have them on my audi a3
Its a 12 plate so I will check the et for you.
If you buy the very latest ones you will probably be fine as They are all built around the MQB platform as Skidpan stated above so should be able to fit

Mine are 17s and I find the ride just about right, although the 18s look slightly nicer
But the bigger the wheel size the thinner the sidewall and the ride comfort can suffer so its always down to personal preference and the reason I had 17s not 18s

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
You can use a wheel with different ET (AKA offset) by putting a bushing/washer (not sure about the term in English).

I think it's called a spigot ring if that's what you're talking about.

That is correct, but if your buying new wheels, unless you really have to its better to get the correct offset than ti mess about trying to achieve it with spacers
Plus you can only add with spacers you can't take away

weatherlight

anyone know whether mk2 leon 16" 5 spoke (or jetta 16" 5 spoke, golf mk7 16" 5 spoke) will fit as offset? It seems to me that my standart 16" SE turbine wheels (10 spoke angled) can get away with a little more offset.

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
The 18 inch performance wheels as fitted to the FR's are 7.5 x 18, the PCD is 5 x 112 and the ET is 51. I took note of this when I had the wheels off to paint the brake calipers. I hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2013
anyone know whether mk2 leon 16" 5 spoke (or jetta 16" 5 spoke, golf mk7 16" 5 spoke) will fit as offset? It seems to me that my standart 16" SE turbine wheels (10 spoke angled) can get away with a little more offset.

When I was looking to buy wheels for my winter tyres I quickly discovered that for 6.5 x 16 the Mk2 Leon and its brethren used a ET 50 whereas the Mk3 MQB cars use ET 46.

I agree that there is some clearance between the wheel/tyre and suspension but considering that the designers know a thing or two there must be a good reason for this change. I know its only 4mm but the Mk2 wheels will put the wheel/tyre closer to the strut etc. In truth it should not be an issue, seen much less clearance on many OEM set ups but if you had an accident your insurers may try and use it as a get out of jail free card. If you are up front with them they may agree to the change.

At present there appears to be relatively few companies selling aftermarket wheels that match the OEM specification for the new cars whereas there are loads of wheels (OEM and aftermarket) for the earlier cars.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I have them on my audi a3
Its a 12 plate so I will check the et for you.
If you buy the very latest ones you will probably be fine as They are all built around the MQB platform as Skidpan stated above so should be able to fit

Mine are 17s and I find the ride just about right, although the 18s look slightly nicer
But the bigger the wheel size the thinner the sidewall and the ride comfort can suffer so its always down to personal preference and the reason I had 17s not 18s

I will probably be buying replica's because the OEM ones cost abit out of my price range, unless I can find a deal somewhere. I think also with the 1.6 not having individual suspension setup might cause the ride to be abit harsh if I went up to 18's that's why I'm considering 17's.

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
If its replica wheels your buying then the most common option will be et45 and will be fine for your car. You could always go with a lower et aswell if you want but not too much or they may stick out from the arch.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
@Skidpan - may I ask please, where did you end up getting your winter wheels and tyres from in the end? And what did you end up with? (16s? 17?s 18s?).

I am going to have to go through this whole thing in a month when my FR arrives I fear... unless by some total miracle the old Mazda 3 alloy wheels that I have sitting my shed happen to have the same offset/bore/pcd (which I doubt VERY much).

I was going to go to wheelbase alloys (where I got my last set from) . Plus side - they specifically list the MK3 Leon as a vehicle type. Downside - the selection is identical to the MK2, which makes me smell an offset-shaped rat :confused:

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
When I was looking to buy wheels for my winter tyres I quickly discovered that for 6.5 x 16 the Mk2 Leon and its brethren used a ET 50 whereas the Mk3 MQB cars use ET 46.

I agree that there is some clearance between the wheel/tyre and suspension but considering that the designers know a thing or two there must be a good reason for this change. I know its only 4mm but the Mk2 wheels will put the wheel/tyre closer to the strut etc. In truth it should not be an issue, seen much less clearance on many OEM set ups but if you had an accident your insurers may try and use it as a get out of jail free card. If you are up front with them they may agree to the change.

At present there appears to be relatively few companies selling aftermarket wheels that match the OEM specification for the new cars whereas there are loads of wheels (OEM and aftermarket) for the earlier cars.

It will make the wheel sit 4mm further from the strut... and protrude 4mm more.

The 18 inch performance wheels as fitted to the FR's are 7.5 x 18, the PCD is 5 x 112 and the ET is 51. I took note of this when I had the wheels off to paint the brake calipers. I hope this helps.

The stock 18" wheels sit 14mm closer to the strut, so there should be room.

Jun 15, 2013
@Skidpan - may I ask please, where did you end up getting your winter wheels and tyres from in the end? And what did you end up with? (16s? 17?s 18s?).

I got my winter wheels from a chap on e-bay. Just looked and he currently does not have them listed but if you search item 161111544377 it will take you to another set of wheels he is currently selling, just keep watching until the 6.5 x 16's are listed again.

Top seller, 100% feedback, would buy from him again.

Winter tyres are better used on smaller wheels, you get a better choice and they are cheaper for starters. I already had the tyres off my BMW thus just needed a set of 16" wheels to complete the set up.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise