lose of power / hesitation on acceleration. MAF? (leon cupra)

sssstew

Editing your spelling
ahh the N18 is for diesels only, its exactly the same style valve but it controls the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, rather than the N75 controls the turbo wastegate. Us diesels use the N18 to reduce soot and N0x gas output.

so we have twice as much to go wrong! :mad:

prc

Sooty Meister
Originally posted by sssstew
ahh the N18 is for diesels only, its exactly the same style valve but it controls the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, rather than the N75 controls the turbo wastegate. Us diesels use the N18 to reduce soot and N0x gas output.

so we have twice as much to go wrong! :mad:

Then again we don't have dump valves going or those cheesy coil packs...:D :D

andycupra

status subject to change
hi,

i promised to let you know how its going after a while with the new N75 valve.

All is wellish still, has hesitated a couple of time... but even then it was only slightly and nothing like before.

Fuel economy seems the same as before.

Immediatly after a gear change the car pauses a little bit before taking off again, i presume this is just the turbo lag?

I am planning to put new diverter valve on, probably a forge...
so again ill let you guys know how its gone.

andy

Last edited:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Originally posted by andycupra
hi,

All is well still, has hesitated a couple of times... literally 2 times... but even then it was only slightly and nothing like before.

Immediatly after a gear change the car pauses a little bit before taking off again, i presume this is just the turbo lag?

andy

hmm maybe turbo lag, maybe a uprated DV might help this, but im not a petrol turbo person so not sure about that, maybe listen out for the turbo see if it sounds like its spooling up correctly.

But its something i guess you will just have to monitor over 6 months and 6k miles really, the odd one or two funny things can usually be discounted.

anyway, as you say let us know how it goes.

Idealnna

Hi Andy,

I have the exact problem you had with my Cupra and have been pulling my hair out for the past 2 months. I have just had the MAF replaced today and it seems better but still when accelerating it hesitates around 3k then goes and then hesitates about 4k. Power also still seems to be holding back.

After seeing you posts about this I will now look at the N75. Not knowing what this is and how to fit it, do you have any pics or instructions about how I can change this myself?

The last thing I want to do is take it back to the SEAT dealer for obvious reasons!

I hope its this because Im steady losing faith in my Cupra.

Thanks
Neil

Originally posted by andycupra
hi,

All is well still, has hesitated a couple of times... literally 2 times... but even then it was only slightly and nothing like before.

andy

andycupra

status subject to change
hi,

well i just did a search for the N75 on here.
may take a while to find what you are looking for.

what is it? well im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but i think its a kind of electronic bleed vavlve?

anyway, its an easy DIY job. - i did it in about 10 mins with a small flat screw driver, and a medium sized one!

hope you find what you need on here, there are some pics on the forum not that i know where now.

if not, just get it, and compare it to parts under the bonnet, it is between air intake pipe after the Maf and the bulkhead.

Idealnna

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info and I have ordered the N75 J model from VAGPARTS.

I hope it does the trick like yours!

Thanks
Neil

andycupra

status subject to change
ok i hope it works for you too.

to fit it has 3 pipes and one electrical plug.

you simply remove pipes and elecrical plug. (hardest bit is getting off the factory fit clips.....) then replace as better with new valve...

just remember which way around they go before removing them!

Let us know how it goes.

andy

andycupra

status subject to change
hi all,

ok wel over due,

car is still running much better, i am still getting a bit of power loss / hesitation.....

just got delivery of a 007p diverter valve... (finally! post office is rubbish, despite me having reference number could thay tell me where it was.... no!)
should get it fitted today.

ill be on later or tomorow to say if thats made any difference.

andy

andycupra

status subject to change
fitted my new forge 007p diverter valve at weekend,
how have i found it....

firstly it took me 2 mins to change it. literally... easy!
:)

so got in and went for a blat...

difference? well not alot really. But now ive had it few days i can say that good gear changes are rewarded more with this valve, the pick up is better, its lost much of the noticeable hesitiation following a gear change.

However i have found it is slightly louder than the standard valve.. i dont mind that as its not stupidly load... just bit more noticeable and not what i expected from reading review on it.

id say its not made as much differnce as i hoped, but it is am improvment.

hamblyman

Andy.....hows the motor been running?

I have been keeping an eye on this thread as I have a similar problem. Unfortunately I am only at phase one of getting it sorted by the dealer - the "we'll change the DV and see if that helps" stage!!

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
hamblyman said:
Andy.....hows the motor been running?

I have been keeping an eye on this thread as I have a similar problem. Unfortunately I am only at phase one of getting it sorted by the dealer - the "we'll change the DV and see if that helps" stage!!
Personally i'd say the MAF would be the first thing to change _ BUT im not a seat tech so fingers crossed yours is sorted soon :thumbup:

andycupra

status subject to change
hi,

the car has been running fairly well.
10 times better than it was, although i am holding back a bit as it was alot worse in hot weather so the summer will be the real test.

So far i have tried 2 new MAFs, although both were worse than the one in the car!
Funny as it does all seem to point to the MAF. - not cheap.

Then i changed the N75 valve... look up earlier in this thread to get the part number i used etc as it is not the original spec one.
This did improve things alot. - £30 i think...

Finally i have put on oo7p diverter valve (forge).
This hasnt changed how car runs in terms of acceleration etc... but does seem to operate more possitivly than the stock item. (less lag at gear change). - £85.

andy

Last edited:

mclmar

Similar problem?

Hi Andy,

I have a 2000 model Seat 20VT Leon Sport (I think it is the same engine as the Cupra). I have had this since new.

I think my turbo has started behaving in the same way yours was. You'll have to bear with me as I'm not very technical when it comes to cars. Anyway, the problem I have is that at about 5,000 revs the turbo hesitates/pauses/stutters. It feels pretty crap.

My local seat dealer (based in Isle of Man so only 1!) test drove, acknowledged the problem but there diagnostic machine reports no faults. They have advised me to carry on driving until somthing 'happens'! As you can imagine, i've lost a bit of faith after this advice!

Do you think a new N75 valve will help? Is yours still ok? How easy to fit, is easy?

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

andycupra

status subject to change
hi,

sorry to hear you are having probs....

well i think it will be same engine.. APP... (look on top, front, offside of the engine)
(cupra's this age are basically re badged sports...)

anyway, with your hesitation....
its hard to say what it is... especially as seat are only able to read fault codes!
i never got any help with mine...

now mine did improve alot with the N75 changed... read another thread somewhere someone found the same..
although i believe some find it helps some not.... but your car is similair age so may be worth trying....

anwyay the hesitation did reduce alot... i still get it, but nowhere near what it was.
Leons do get this problem.... is there any difference depending on how hot the weather is?
mine struggles bit when its hot. as i believe do most..

the N75 isnt too much... about £30? something like that.
changing it is easy, it right at top of engine so access is no problem
you will need to get 2-3 smallish jubilee clips as the original ones are once fit only, you will render then useless removing them.

took my about 15 mins to change. hardest bit is remving the old clips..

where abouts are you?
id happily help out you could try mine before you buy....

one other hand my hesitation was earlier on in rev range..... so another area that coud be a problem is the dump valve....
you got a standard one? these can fail...

again, ive got an after market one.... you could trial.

generally check for lose pipes...

Last edited:

ukdub

i know this is a old thread but my 2003 model engine code auq is having the same problem
i have also had the apr upgrade. I was starting to think that the boost is being held back because of the charge temp because i have tried a new maf and a second hand n75 type c vavle and the problem isn't as bad but sometimes still there. What do you think?

andycupra

status subject to change
mmm...

well i do still have problems with mine, not that happy really....
the N75 J helped alot, but its not 100%

i was also thiking it was due to inlet temps.... especially as is worse in hot weather.

the car does sometimes run ok, - when the car does go well it pulls up to 6,500 rpm really well, i havnt gone higher but no sign of losing power...
i now also have an forge SMIC.... no difference... have to say im at a loss now.. seat are no help at all.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.