Lost boost

Triple D

Just been out in my car after i got it back from allards yesterday and i am only reaching 0.3-0.5 bar. The car was fine earlier and yesterday apart from a little bit sootie. I stopped when i was out in my car, then went after about 1 minute and there was no power at all. It usually boosts between 1.6-2.2 bar. A couple of times yesterday when i was accelerating it would not feel as quick and would cut all power at 4000-4200 only in 3rd or 4th gear though, but usually would pull all the way round to 5000 rpm, so i would lift off then accelerate again and it would be fine and pull round to the redline.
Please help me someone as i have tried to call Allards and there is no answer and i dont know anyone near me with vagcom to check for fault codes.:(
oh p.s
I thought it had gone into gimp mode, so turned it off then back on again and it was still the same, any answers?

Last edited by a moderator:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
if u can get it to a kwik fit or something dan n get them to remove the lower engine cover , n see if u can see the hoses u cant get to with the bumper off ,, if ur making 0.5 bar ( 7psi-- limp mode???) the turbo is seeing vacuum so its not that , u sure the MAF n MAP sensors are in ok ,

Triple D

Ok will do, im gonna sound really thick now, but how will i beable to check the sensors?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
check the MAF is plugged in , il not humiliate u , u should know where that is , and the MAP , thats down in where the old smic was , just check theyre plugged in , thats all u can do im afraid without vagcom , check all clips n pipes are well attached , but its probably an overboost condition its seeing , try disconnecting the battery for a bit , that get it running ok again hopefully ,.

Triple D

just got back from kwick fit, all the clips to the hoses are fine, but there is a hell of alot of soot at the back of the engine bay and around the turbo. They think this could be caused by over fueling and may have even killed the turbo :cry: . Just need to wait and speak to allards now.

Triple D

cheshire cat said:
egr hot pipe split? do you still have one?
nope, allards replaced it with this "Allard inlet adaptor (replaces EGR unit) with seal, bolts and adaptors for boost take off. £49.00"
Could that cause the soot in the back of the engine bay?

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Oh dear.
I hope it all goes well for you.
It could possibly just a pipe off or something :(
Fingers crossed for you mate.
Let us know how you get on.
Take care , chin up
Sarah

Triple D

Just finished looking to see if i could find the problem. Checked all the vacume pipes, checked the actuator on the turbo to see if thats was working, was stiff the first time i pressed it but then ok. I just cant seem to understand where all the soot at the bottom of the enjine bay has come from. There is soot all over the gearbox, pipework off the turbo, drive shaft ect etc. It maybe that the gasket off the manifold is leaking, its not the downpipe. Had a good look under the car tonight, as i parked it right on the edge of a steep kerb, just enough room for me to slide under and take the lower cover off.Couldnt see anywhere from where the soot may have been coming from. Anyone have any ideas?
Allards think that maybe the manifold or turbo is cracked? but they have never experianced that on any of there cars, but it would need to have been a big crack to get rid of all that soot.Couldnt see any cracks though tonight.

Triple D

stoneyfordNI said:
hole in turbo???????
Dont think so, i checked all the way around it on both sides and couldnt feel any holes. Will find out more tomorrow when allards have a look. If it turns out the turbo is fooked, then ill go for a bigger turbo still, maybe a vt3 or vt4:)

Triple D

stoneyfordNI said:
made of fecking money
Nope, but there is no way im going back to stock now, just have to use the credit card or get a loan.

Triple D

Right then where to start? first off, im a happy spaniel again :D. Took the car to allards today, even though they told me they couldnt look at the car till next week as they are preping 2 new golf gti's for the vw cup. Anyway, turned up and told them to have a look, the outcome was that two of the bolts holding the turbo to the manifold, 1 had snapped off, and one had come out completely, dont ask how. So they decided to take the turbo off to have a proper look, because he thought the shaft on the turbine may have snapped. He got the turbo off, undid the turbo off the manifold so that we could see the vains inside and 1 had siezed, 2 had flattened off where the turbine had flattened them due to it becoming misaligned. So it was the worst case scinareio and bought a brand spanking new one :D. Atleast this one will be guaranteed if it goes bang and now i have no smoke at all. Im in the process of running it in at the min so no full throttle for long periods, mostly half throttle till 4000 rpm.

Should thank allards though as they changed all there sceduals to get this sorted and was really good customer service.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.