lots of smoke when heavy foot? 1.9 TDI Fr

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
the car seems running clean no smoke when ideal, gentle accelerate, but when half throttle, i can see smoke coming out...., is this normal from a diesel car?

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
last time i take my car to service, they say suspect of slight oil leak on the intercooler....should i get this check? coz been asking around, thts very common on most tdi car

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Depends what you mean by smoke and how much.
All diesels ive driven push out sooty smoke when pushed. My FR is fine under light throttle but when I boot it and it kicks out a fair bit. Its worse when viewed in the mirror in the dark lit up by headlights behind. (can look quite bad) :blink:

If your getting a lot though say 3000k onwards on a med throttle its prob best to get it checked as could be a split hose etc.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
the intercooler should contain no oil, nevermind it leaking oil :|

and these engine seem to smoke quite allot. If you drive it normally then boot it, its worst then i have noticed. I try clear it out at least once every journey so to me it doesnt feel like i am building it up.

Also do you use any additive in your fuel? I run mine on millers additive with normal diesel (now v-power available near me) on every bit of diesel i put in the car, this stops build up in the engine etc and helps the car run cleaner and less smoke.

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
smoke when i heavy foot really, nevermind the rev.... i revved up to 3000rpm steadly, didn't see any smoke. saw lots of smoke when i overtake to cars today heavy foot n rev to about 3500rpm. tho i normally i hardly drive over 2200rpm.

no i just use asda diesel only....since shell's fuel gun seems to hate me, it kept on clicking, but no problem wiv asda

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i get loads of smoke out of my cupra on full throttle, to the extnet of i can;t see the car behind. It could be a slight leak on the intercooler.

don;t know. it is fun, but i reckon i will get pulled sooner or latter by the police to check the smoke out....lol

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i get loads of smoke out of my cupra on full throttle, to the extnet of i can;t see the car behind. It could be a slight leak on the intercooler.

don;t know. it is fun, but i reckon i will get pulled sooner or latter by the police to check the smoke out....lol

I wouldnt worry about being pulled , Heres T.Sparks

photo_viewphoto.php

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
smoke when i heavy foot really, nevermind the rev.... i revved up to 3000rpm steadly, didn't see any smoke. saw lots of smoke when i overtake to cars today heavy foot n rev to about 3500rpm. tho i normally i hardly drive over 2200rpm.

no i just use asda diesel only....since shell's fuel gun seems to hate me, it kept on clicking, but no problem wiv asda

You drive pretty much like me by the sound of it and i get the same smoke. I also use cheapo fuel :whistle:

Lets us know how you get on with the additive.

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Gota love a good bit of smoke!
especially when a chav gets right up your arse or some kid on a moped, just to smoke them out :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise