Loud 'Horn' like noise when braking in reverse gear.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Hi, I've had the new Ateca for just over a month. Only done 900 miles and today I've just realised that the horn like sound I've heard on a few occasions is my car... :mad: Seems to be only present when reversing and braking slightly the car makes a 'horn' like sound. I've googled the issue and its appeared on another forum that its happened to a few new cars. Here is a video posted online with the same issue I have.

Some say that its the rear pads on the other forum, and its a Vw group issue that they know about. I am going to give my dealership a call tomorrow but if anyone has this issue and has had it fixed please let me know what to tell the dealer.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Definitely say I've not had that on my 2016 model.... although when I got my all season tyres fitted Protyres they put the new rear pads on left to right swapped. The dealer spotted it at service and swapped them back around.

Hope you get your ship coming in sound fixed ?. Sounds like it could be straightforward from Andycupra above. I'd get the dealer to look at it.

Reactions: iScoTT29

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Cars booked in for tomorrow morning for them to look at. Also sent across videos of the issue to the service department as you know fine well the sound will not show itself when the dealership has it. Fingers crossed it gets sorted as its an embarrassment driving a car that sounds like that.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Car was in today and surprise surprise, the sound didn't happen when they had it yet it did when I was parking up to drop the car off. Spoke to the mechanic and showed him the videos I managed to record of the sound. He agrees that the sound shouldn't happen at all and he is now going to submit some sort of technical submittal to SEAT to see if they are aware of a potential issue. The mechanic suggests new brake pads on the rear brakes but they will contact me if SEAT approve the work. If not then I'll need to chase SEAT but hopefully we don't get that far.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Car was in today and surprise surprise, the sound didn't happen when they had it yet it did when I was parking up to drop the car off. Spoke to the mechanic and showed him the videos I managed to record of the sound. He agrees that the sound shouldn't happen at all and he is now going to submit some sort of technical submittal to SEAT to see if they are aware of a potential issue. The mechanic suggests new brake pads on the rear brakes but they will contact me if SEAT approve the work. If not then I'll need to chase SEAT but hopefully we don't get that far.

Hi,

Any updates? Did they approve the replacement?

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Hi,

Any updates? Did they approve the replacement?
The dealer are still waiting to hear back from seat regarding the technical doc they sent across. The issue is still there and has been really bad the past few weeks which I put down to the temperature in Scotland just now.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Phoned the dealer on the 13th January for an update, told there is a backlog due to people being on furlough (seems everywhere uses it as an excuse) but I should hear back on either 18th or 19th January. Now it's the 20th and still not heard back. I will give them today and if I dont get a call I will be phoning back tomorrow. I might need to contact seat directly if this doesn't get resolved soon.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Phoned the dealer on the 13th January for an update, told there is a backlog due to people being on furlough (seems everywhere uses it as an excuse) but I should hear back on either 18th or 19th January. Now it's the 20th and still not heard back. I will give them today and if I dont get a call I will be phoning back tomorrow. I might need to contact seat directly if this doesn't get resolved soon.
Yeah the Covid and furlough is just an excuse now

Everywhere is using it as a back heel

Tell

Staff member
Garages are going back onto furlough in Wales... sales side falls into non essential. Not sure what's happening in England, possibly still partying....

October fire break text

& now

Service side is still working locally, not sales. Central MK support ?. So probably the service guy not the one who sold you the car is the one to quiz.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Garages are going back onto furlough in Wales... sales side falls into non essential. Not sure what's happening in England, possibly still partying....

October fire break text

& now

Service side is still working locally, not sales. Central MK support ?. So probably the service guy not the one who sold you the car is the one to quiz.
Yeah its the same up here in Scotland, all showrooms are closed and only service departments working. I had spoke to the service manager on the day I took the car in back in December and ever seen its been the service desk workers who are then saying the mechanic/service manager is still waiting to hear back on the issue. I've not been called today so I will phone them again tomorrow and keep this thread updated on progress.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Update, called the dealer yesterday 27/01/21 to be told there is still no update but on the system there is a date shown as the 22/02/21. The dealer doesn't know what the date means... but assumes it will be for a response from seat.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Update, called dealer yesterday 25/03/21 to be told the car is to get booked in. Car is booked in for work next friday 02/04/21 however, women on the phone couldn't give me the reason as to why it is getting booked in and what work is to be carried out... :unsure:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.