Low on power PD 150.

leaper71

Leaper
Jan 28, 2007
Leyland,Lancashire.
Hi all.
I've got a problem with my 2001 TDi 150. Its very low on power,almost like its a non-turbo. If you drive it hard it definately feels like it has no turbo but if you drive it at part throttle it feels as if it wants to go and if you get the throttle just right you get a little kick in the back of your seat (my description) but it then tails off as you hit the higher revs.
Theres plenty of torque at low revs and the mpg is good (53mpg average) but just no power. I struggle to spin a wheel even in the wet.
I have changed the maff a while ago and recently fit a brand new N75 (boost control) valve. Changing the N75 valve has made a small difference.It seems smoother now when accelerating where before it was a bit hesitant.
I also have a whooshing noise which seems loud (is this normal?) and if i let off the throttle i get a chuff noise like a wastegate (this happens more after N75 fitted).I have also checked the vacuum and boost hoses for splits and they look ok.
I have searched the forums and found possible causes incl, VNTs seized/exhaust blocked etc but they dont seem to have same symptoms as my car.
Any help would be appreciated as i have "put-up" with the problem long enough and its embarrasing trying to keep up with 1.6 astras and the likes.:headhurt:

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Hi Leaper
I have the same problem and got burned by an astra van only last week.
I have also replaced the bits you have and still have the problem albeit not all the time. I am convinced its my maf as I got my replacement from gsf and they supply recon units. Going to get a brand new one from vw that should cure it hopefully
Glynn

mrk

May 4, 2007
ive got the same problem too. i also get the chatter with the turbo when i lift off and the turbo is nice and wooshy but nowt to worry about from what i can make out from what other folk have told me.ive allready replaced my maf with a genuine vw one and still no joy :(.i got beat off of a 2.5 tdi vw transporter the other day which is basically a 2.5 tdi in a jumbo jet if your talking power to weight ratios lol

not good lol

Last edited:

mrk

May 4, 2007
I am fed up of being burned by 100bhp astra diesels it is not funny anymore!

i know.

i love my ibiza when it runs right but when it runs crap which is 99% of the time i feel like just leaving the fecker somewhere and walking home lol

does my head in

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Hi all.
I've got a problem with my 2001 TDi 150. Its very low on power,almost like its a non-turbo. If you drive it hard it definately feels like it has no turbo but if you drive it at part throttle it feels as if it wants to go and if you get the throttle just right you get a little kick in the back of your seat (my description) but it then tails off as you hit the higher revs.
Theres plenty of torque at low revs and the mpg is good (53mpg average) but just no power. I struggle to spin a wheel even in the wet.
I have changed the maff a while ago and recently fit a brand new N75 (boost control) valve. Changing the N75 valve has made a small difference.It seems smoother now when accelerating where before it was a bit hesitant.
I also have a whooshing noise which seems loud (is this normal?) and if i let off the throttle i get a chuff noise like a wastegate (this happens more after N75 fitted).I have also checked the vacuum and boost hoses for splits and they look ok.
I have searched the forums and found possible causes incl, VNTs seized/exhaust blocked etc but they dont seem to have same symptoms as my car.
Any help would be appreciated as i have "put-up" with the problem long enough and its embarrasing trying to keep up with 1.6 astras and the likes.:headhurt:

They never put the 150 in the leons in 2001, so i presume you mean 110.

But alas, get someone nearby with a laptop and vag com to log the boost, see if we are looking at a boost leak here.

leaper71

Leaper
Jan 28, 2007
Leyland,Lancashire.
Thanks guys.

Will re-check the boost hoses again. I checked the exhaust today and it looks ok with plenty of flow through the tailpipe. Will have to locate a vag-com me thinks.
The car is actually a Toledo TDI 150 (lhd) from Spain. Ive had it over twelve months now and its never run 100% which is frustrating. Excellent motorway car though even with the fault and the noise from the turbo is good..:D

just need more power!!

Cheers. Leaper.

leaper71

Leaper
Jan 28, 2007
Leyland,Lancashire.
Checked turbo vnt mechanism today at work and seems to be free enough,also tried vacuum system with tester and is operating ok.
On the way home i tried disconnecting maff sensor and found not much difference in performance even a bit more responsive at low revs!

So going to get another maf sensor and see how it goes.

leaper71

Leaper
Jan 28, 2007
Leyland,Lancashire.
Hi there.
Had a go at cleaning the maf sensor today at work and it has made a bit of a difference. Car feels quicker and turbo now sounds lke its working throughout the rev range as i can hear the whoosh noise all the time. To add to that i now have a surging at 2-3000 rpm when foot is down. So somethings changed.

Now 95% sure it is the maf...

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I had to replace a turbo hose on mine recently. It was leaking where it connects to the intercooler at the lowest point. I don't know the direction of air flow so I don't want to say "in" or "out"! I thought that it would barely make any difference as the only signs of a leak were oily deposits around the joint. 1 x new hose later and it drives like a different car with the turbo running slightly quieter on boost (but not much)!

leaper71

Leaper
Jan 28, 2007
Leyland,Lancashire.
Hi there.

Well i decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new maf today. Ordered a recon bosch sensor from GSF in Accrington and fitted it before the commute home.

What a difference. Feels like i'm driving another car. Plenty of power there now and car goes as it should (at last) although i still have a bit of a misfire under heavy throttle. Am i right in thinking the pd engines suffer from a injector loom breakdown? I seem to remember seeing a post about it.

To add, i got the recon bosch unit for less than a third of the price i was quoted from Vw dealer.:D

Cheers. Leaper.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
I think i might be having the same issue. have only had the car for 1 day so i am not a seat tdi expert. when i accelerate it feels like i have a small kick from the turbo that tails off. at some points it feel like there is no turbo and no matter how much i put my foot down it doesnt go faster in any gear really. some of the time it feels fine though.

how do you clean the maf sensor? it looks easy to remove. what do i clean it with?

mark1471

I also have a whooshing noise which seems loud (is this normal?)

does this kick in around 1.9k-2k when the turbo kicks, and get louder the harder you accelerate? if so mines going in the garage today with a similar problem so Ill keep you posted on what they say the problem is

EDIT:- after reviewing this post i see it looks a little ....numb! its not just the turbo kicking in, its down on power and sounds like theres a lot of air escaping, possibly due to something not being securely connected to the replacement turbo. I probs never read the OP properly and ill avoid early morning posts as they dont represent me in the best of light!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members