Lowering options.. some advice..

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
So I have been investigating lowering options for my 04 Ibiza TDI 130 and need some advice..

I want to lower between 30-35mm as I want to take a bit of the height off the car, but still be able to get over speed bumps, potholes and through puddles without difficulty.

After visiting a local modification shop and discussing options with the staff, I have the following options..

A. Lowering springs with the standard shocks (£180)
B. Lowering springs with new shocks (£400)
C. Coilovers (£500+)

For what I want to achieve I was advised to go with option A, which would lower the car a bit, but not improve the handling as much as B or C .. I was concerned with using 30mm lower springs on the standard shocks, but I was told that for 30mm the standard ones would be fine.. and is only if I wanted lower they would recommend B or C.

So..

Would 30mm springs be ok with the standard shocks (MOT wise and durability wise)? I know some people here have dome something similar.. is it ok?

Finally does a 30mm drop still allow you to get over speed bumps ok and not have tyres rubbing the arches etc?

thanks.

Last edited:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Would 30mm springs be ok with the standard shocks (MOT wise and durability wise)? I know some people here have dome something similar.. is it ok?

Finally does a 30mm drop still allow you to get over speed bumps ok and not have tyres rubbing the arches etc?

:yes: I'm running on Eibach springs (35mm front, 25mm back) which have realistically lowered it my 25mm front and about 10mm back (because the FR standard suspension is lower than a "normal" Ibiza anyway!). Still using standard FR shocks and no problems to report.

BEFORE
CIMG2343.jpg

AFTER
CIMG3133.jpg

Last edited:

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
:yes: I'm running on Eibach springs which have lowered the car 30mm front and 25mm back. Still using standard FR shocks and no problems to report.

BEFORE
CIMG2343.jpg

AFTER
CIMG3133.jpg

:happy:, how many miles have you done on them? And get throught the MOT no prob I presume?

Your car looks good BTW!

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
thanks for the reply's..

Also, did this make a difference to anyone's insurance premium? I am with Endsleigh and have declared my 17" alloys and parking sensors (my only mods), Obviously I would also declare the lowering, I have sent them an email to ask what difference it would make if any, but it will be next week before they reply. Just wanted an idea of what to expect?

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
I have 60k miles on the clock, I got the car a year ago at 50k. I assume the shocks have never been changed from new.

I know they are in ok at the moment, but I know fitting lowering springs will put some extra wear on them (as would fitting larger alloys and low profile tyres.. which I already have). The guy at my mod shop thought they would be fine (which I assume is his honest opinion, as he could have tried to sell me new shocks at the same time!)

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Going to go with H&R springs (35mm), should be getting them done in the next 2 or 3 weeks all being well. :clap:

I presume 35mm will be fine tyre wise front and back.. i.e. no rubbing! ??

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Update:

Lowered 35mm via H&R springs (new top mounts fitted as well)

35mm.JPG

Apologies the pic is not great... combination of crap iphone camera and the fantastic gray weather.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise