Lumpy Power

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I went out in the LCR210 for dinner today, and on the way back I got my toe down. The car was warm and to be fair I was driving quite hard. Anyway, Just as I was getting back towards work I noticed the light on the dash that looks like an engine (sorry, not sure what it is) was flashing. The car felt really lumpy all of a sudden and I needed higher revs to go anywhere. I got back to work around 13:40 and left the car parked around the back. I went back at 14:00 and moved the car to the front car park and it was still feeling rough. When I popped the bonnet the engine was really moving, like it was badly balanced. My first thoughts were that it was only firing on three cylinders.

As I reversed it back using revs that would normally be OK, it stalled. I moved it a couple of spots over and it didn't stall, but felt and sounded really bad. I'm far from the most technical of owners so I'm not too sure what to do beyond this. I have a colleague who has VAG-COM but he's at work until 10pm tonight and I finish at 4. I'll be trying to make it home but I don't have breakdown cover and I don't know where to start looking to find/fix the fault. I'm hoping that it'll be OK by 4pm (ie just overheating or something) but I'm not holding my breath.

Any thoughts guys? Could it be something as simple as one of the plugs?

ryan106

Dec 7, 2006
I would say Coilpack or Coilpacks You could swap them about to find which one of vag-com will tell ya what cylinder.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Is this something that's likely to go when the car is being pushed hard, or do you just think it's just bad timing? They're not too expensive are they? A guy at work has already suggested those and from my limited knowledge I was thinking it could be the way to go

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Reading up a little it did smell a bit funny when I got out but I wasn't sure if that was the clutch or the brakes as I had been pushing it as I said. Other topics are leading me to think it's one or more coil packs too

JamJay

California Bound
The coilpacks are renowned for going unfortuntely and normally when the car is being pushed hard. Most people find that their coilpacks go after a remaps due to the increased boost but if you were using your right foot then it's likely to have the same effect. Your initial thought that it was running on 3 cylinders seems to have been very close :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
OK, cheers. I gather that I can test it quite easily by popping them off one at a time and seeing what difference it makes to the engine note? I want to confirm that it is a coil pack before I start spending. I've a baby due 'on tuesday' so I could do with not spending any more than I need to :D

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We have a local parts place that claims to stock at least one of everything (I must take the Rolls in there some time for a new cylinder head) that I'm going to try on the way home, and if that's a bust then phone the dealers when I get back. I reckon the VW dealer which is up the road is the better choice as the nearest SEAT dealer is miles away

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
On the way home the fuel gauge beeped at me at 244 miles, when I normally see over 300 (320 seems common).

I've been in and ordered a new coil pack which will turn up tomorrow morning, and I've taken a look to see what I'm doing. I see two on the left but the two on the right appear to be under something that is bolted to the engine. I assume it's safe to remove whatever this is if necessary?

Also, they don't seem to want to come off easy, is there a particular method to it before I break something?

Cheers all

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
On the way home the fuel gauge beeped at me at 244 miles, when I normally see over 300 (320 seems common).

I've been in and ordered a new coil pack which will turn up tomorrow morning, and I've taken a look to see what I'm doing. I see two on the left but the two on the right appear to be under something that is bolted to the engine. I assume it's safe to remove whatever this is if necessary?

Also, they don't seem to want to come off easy, is there a particular method to it before I break something?

Cheers all

Might be worth checking the MAF as well but a flashing ECL is coil pack failure usually.

The vac reservoir on top of the engine is three bolts and is not a problem to remove... the coil packs need a hefty pull :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
MAF? Mass Air Flow sensor? A guy at work did say at first that it sounded like the car couldn't breath. I thought the increased fuel consumption, the smell from the back, and the rough sensation from the engine (as if it's running on three cylinders) seemed most likely the coil pack. Now I've paid for one I hope it's the bit I need!

By the way, it's not OCD, it's CDO; It's like OCD but in alphabetical order, as it should be :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise