Main Differences between the FR and Cupra 20VT models?

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
Differences.

Cupra with 4 pot brakes compared to FR has the following

4 pot brakes (obviousl)

17 inch same as other wheels spare wheel not a cheapo steel one

ESP as standard

Different ecu remap

Stiffere suspension and lower

front ati sway bar of 20mm instead of the 18mm of the FR

Cupra bushes on the suspension arms (stiffer)

Front mount intercooler as standard

bigger air intake duct

different engine cover

Black roof interior

Different -sportier interior

tt pedals

i cant remember of anything else at the moment...

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The Golf is a completly different platform so you can't really compare. But the Ibiza got more powerful engines than even the mk4 GTIs which were release around the same time, until they made the limited edition one available. They handling is a bit boat-like aswell, the Ibizas are much more fun.

If by superior you mean more expensive then yes a Golf is. But then so is a Ford Transit :shrug:

ee01akk

The Golf is a completly different platform so you can't really compare. But the Ibiza got more powerful engines than even the mk4 GTIs which were release around the same time, until they made the limited edition one available. They handling is a bit boat-like aswell, the Ibizas are much more fun.

If by superior you mean more expensive then yes a Golf is. But then so is a Ford Transit :shrug:

Yes the Leon and the Golf are on a more similar platform for comparison.

Don't know if you mean boat-like as in sluggish, but I would prefer a slower car that corners well, compared to a faster car that can't handle the engine power.

If I had money to throw away I would go for the Golf/ Polo, but since I don't I look at the Seat for a bargain.

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
I mean the handling is quite sluggish, except for the sportier mk5s.

I wouldn't have a Polo over an Ibiza as the Ibizas come with a better engine range. And I chose an Ibiza over a mk4 Golf GTI and a Leon Cupra as I found it more fun to drive and faster than even the GTI Anniversary Edition. They were all the same price aswell. I used to have a mk3 Golf and the mk4 didn't really improve on that.

If I had more money I would have (and still would) go for a mk5 GTI or R32, especially with that DSG gearbox :yes:.

eilzcupra

Differences.

Cupra with 4 pot brakes compared to FR has the following

4 pot brakes (obviousl)

17 inch same as other wheels spare wheel not a cheapo steel one

ESP as standard

Different ecu remap

Stiffere suspension and lower

front ati sway bar of 20mm instead of the 18mm of the FR

Cupra bushes on the suspension arms (stiffer)

Front mount intercooler as standard

bigger air intake duct

different engine cover

Black roof interior

Different -sportier interior

tt pedals

i cant remember of anything else at the moment...

I can think of a couple,

Bigger boot spoiler

black mirrors (silver on the FR)

I think the front bumper is slightly different too????

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
No I checked the tyres and they were fine, and it had done 14,000 miles.

I've driven a Golf TDi and it sticks to the road likes its on rails on bends, but the Ibiza has trouble.

Was it a mk4 or mk5 Golf you drove?

The MK5 has independent rear suspension - this makes a bid difference to the handling over the fixed beam on the mk4 Golfs and MK4 Ibizas.

I know what you mean about the Ibiza - it's not as trustworthy on corners as some other similar sized cars - I don't think the big engines help - especially the 1.9 TDI's

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
i never faced any probs with my beeza even with my old 1.4...however all had been tuned with suspension, sway bars etc...

high speed corners...low speed corners...no probs...

ee01akk

I mean the handling is quite sluggish, except for the sportier mk5s.

I wouldn't have a Polo over an Ibiza as the Ibizas come with a better engine range. And I chose an Ibiza over a mk4 Golf GTI and a Leon Cupra as I found it more fun to drive and faster than even the GTI Anniversary Edition. They were all the same price aswell. I used to have a mk3 Golf and the mk4 didn't really improve on that.

If I had more money I would have (and still would) go for a mk5 GTI or R32, especially with that DSG gearbox :yes:.

The new Ibiza FR 1.4 TSI has a DSG gearbox, but then that takes the fun out of driving IMO.

Also I disagree with the Leon Cupra being less fun to drive than an Ibiza...the Leon's superior handling and chassis, and 6 speed gearbox make it much better for long distance motorway driving. Also if you go over a bump in an Ibiza, you may need spinal surgery.;)

kriso

Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
The new Ibiza FR 1.4 TSI has a DSG gearbox, but then that takes the fun out of driving IMO.

Also I disagree with the Leon Cupra being less fun to drive than an Ibiza...the Leon's superior handling and chassis, and 6 speed gearbox make it much better for long distance motorway driving. Also if you go over a bump in an Ibiza, you may need spinal surgery.;)

I'm pretty sure the mk5 GTI and R32 come with the version of the DSG box with sequential mode and flappy paddles, not sure about the mk5 Ibiza. Then you get the best of both worlds - I don't like automatics but the DSG shift time is so small it's ridiculous :blink:

Well I have driven a Leon FR alot and that doesn't handle aswell as the Ibiza Cupra IMO. And according to people on here, there isn't any difference between the FR and Cupra Leon suspension. :shrug:

dirk1978

Mar 25, 2009
My experience of my Ibiza Cupra TDI since picking it up last Wednesday is that it's probably the best set up car I've ever driven (and I've driven a few). Round corners under power it understeers, balanced throttle it drifts sideways and lift-off it oversteers. Perfect handling set up.

It's probably slightly better than my mates LCR 225 and about the same as my brother-in-laws Mini Cooper S. It's way ahead of any Mk4 Golf I've driven, only one I don't know about is the R32.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members