make my own strut brace.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Hi all!! Im thinking of making my own strut brace? I work as a stainless steel tig welder so we got loads of stuff for making things like this. I have been looking at a few different designs but not sure what would be best? I cant imagin it would make too much difference really. Im thinking adjustable would be ok. Anyway i just wanted to let you all know and if you got any ideas or advice please let me know. When its all done i will post a photo so you can see what you think? :funk:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
surprised you havent got a list as long as your arm to do ;)

get some imagination sorted ;)

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Well i dont really get much time to do my own things at work, just small bits and bobs. I always have ideas but find it hard to get round to do everything, Plus we need to keep an eye on the boss if you know what i mean;)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Hi all!! Im thinking of making my own strut brace? I work as a stainless steel tig welder so we got loads of stuff for making things like this. I have been looking at a few different designs but not sure what would be best? I cant imagin it would make too much difference really. Im thinking adjustable would be ok. Anyway i just wanted to let you all know and if you got any ideas or advice please let me know. When its all done i will post a photo so you can see what you think? :funk:

Upper brace?, just copy the S3 one and then start to make a few of them :)
I'd have one off you ;)

cuprarob

I am in the process of doing this myself.

I am lucky enough to have a mate with as S3 so I am using his as a pattern.

I just wish work wasn't so hectic at the minute.:censored:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
img00139cx.jpg

more pics in this thread..

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110346&highlight=s3+brace

cuprarob

As soon as I have finished mine I will get some pictures up and you can tell me what you think.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
im not doing it to make money but its all good if i do!! ok i have seen the S3 shape before dont you think adjustable would be better? Why do people like the S3 one?

cuprarob

danieltm - making money is always good but I am also doing it as a personal project at the moment.

As you know nice neat fabrication takes time and lately the price of stainless is just ridiculous. I’ll have to see how long the first one takes and how it comes out before could realistically consider making a batch.

I am still considering the adjustable option, would be nice, just a little more fabrication.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
im not doing it to make money but its all good if i do!! ok i have seen the S3 shape before dont you think adjustable would be better? Why do people like the S3 one?

The S3 one is used because it fits perfectly, I wouldn't be bothered about an adjustable as once it's on it won't be touched, besides it will cost more and gives an additional point of failure :)

cuprarob

Good point.

A "copy" of the S3 one in shiny stainless is what i had in mind to start with.

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Yeah i think it would look very good. But as you say st/st is not cheap now and to make a nice job would take time. Its good to have a little project to get you through the day mind!! I will get on the case and see how it goes. Keep me posted cuprarob if you get your finished first.

cuprarob

Will do mate

Do you find yourself constantly thinking "I could make that" or "that would look good in stainless" shortly followed by "when am i going to get the time"

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Will be keeping an eye on this thread with great interest ;)

If you can make a good copy of the S3 brace, but polished, and cheaper than the original item I'll take one off your hands :)

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Good luck lads. I would have thought this will be a nice project for your own cars and you will be able to get the custom finish you like, but I'll be surprised if it becomes cost effective to make and sell on to others - mainly for the time involved.

I made my own custom dead pedals and others have asked me about them, but to be honest the amount of effort does not really make it worthwhile, otherwise I would have to price them very expensive. That said, you don't mind doing it for your own car because it's a labour of love. Looking forward to seeing the results.
I was going to get the S3 brace, strip and polish the ends while keeping it black in the middle. I was then going to apply a couple of silver AmD stickers at each end of the black section and a silver SeatCupra.net one in the middle and cover with lacquer...except so far all I've done is blag a couple of AmD stickers...:hide:

slatord

SlatorD
Aug 2, 2006
witham, essex
HI guys, i know that you are busy at the moment, but would you consider making a rear struct brace? Finding it hard to get hold of one and if you guys can make them that would be excellant!

cuprarob

I’ll have a look into it

I thought there was a post with the guys detail on, have you contacted him?

I don't want to step on anyone’s toes.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise