Manual Steering Rack for Leon Cupra R

Cupra KB

Please can anyone help? I race a Leon 20VT converted to Cupra R spec but I am having problems with power steering fluid boiling causing air locks in the rack which locks the steering, not much fun! I would like to replace the rack (20VT original still fitted ) with a manual rack, does anyone know what rack will fit?

silver surfer

Mar 31, 2006
out there over the edge vw tech
power rack

have you tryed putting an oil cooler in the return pipe or the feed to the pump.i remember vw corrados and passats running a metal pipe in the bumper air flow to cool the oil.as i think your going to struggle to find a manual rack

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
firstly what fluid are you using ? im assuming but i guess its the VW mineral oil as it should be and not dexron or anything

how many laps you doing ?

personally if rules etc allow id a cooler or try an alternative fluid - if ford and all can make it work on a rally car all day im sure theres a solution to it

PS- only power racks listed as per the standard parts but thats not to say something couldnt be altered/modified to solve the problem

the Cupra R listed one is model specific but it does look very similar on the outside to a golf 98 on in fact looking at the golf kit car parts catalogue it shows they indeed use a cooler and have a bulkhead fitting for the pipe so it could well be remounted inside

would enable less heat transfer and more fluid used for better heat dissipation but id have thought that would lessen the pump pressure myself- worth some digging about

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/Katalogs.cfm

have a look through to see what you think (pg 137 i think it is) might just find some other goodies too ;)

Last edited: