Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Got hold of an oil pressure gauge for free! :)

But what fitments do I need and where can I tap it off from?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I hear/read that there was one blocked off somewhere.... sounding good to me.

What is more accurate, mechanical or electrical?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
either accuracy wise all a case of what quality gauge really

i'd personally say electrical as more modern and as a bonus they are easier to plumb/wire in but an old mechanical smiths wins for me over an electrical racer-x hellfrauds wannabee anyday

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I think it's a good quality one, can't remember what make it was now... I haven't seen it yet, well I have but never took any notice in my mates car lol.

Where do you wire an electrical one into?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Where do you wire an electrical one into?

power ign +ve 12v
earth
illumination +ve 12v if required (light it up)
sensor wire to oil pressure switch

usually work off earth resistance from the ops - some need a switch of its own

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
mmmmm got me fancying this one again now (but it isn't free :( )

P_EDG203.jpg

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
most people only look at the gauges 'after' they sense something is wrong

nice gauge to choose though

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yeah oil pressure is the one thing I'm worried about. When ever I'm on track I'm always looking at the water and oil temps.... jus want to know the pressure now

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
with the kit that you could get as a factory option they had a sender unit that went into the top of the sender plate and had a second plug on top that you tapped onto. this then led back to the gauges that you just plugged in.

Well worth knowing, even if it is only when you sense something is wrong, at least you can check.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
with the kit that you could get as a factory option they had a sender unit that went into the top of the sender plate and had a second plug on top that you tapped onto. this then led back to the gauges that you just plugged in.

Well worth knowing, even if it is only when you sense something is wrong, at least you can check.

Like a double connection? Were the extra option gauges mechnical or electrical?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Better spend some cash now and get the fittings sorted. How much hose would I need you think?

Just been doing some searching on cgti, is there a low and high pressure sender on the abf?

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
Presumably electric as it was part of the complete factory loom. I will get outside and take a picture of the sender unit and send it through.

Basically it is just a sender unit that has a seperate feed for oil pressure. (keeps the original oil temp)

Looking forward to seeing changes in oil temps with oil cooler. Did wonder if oil temp is checked before or after going into the filter.

If after the filter it is still going to read the same as without an oil cooler (temp, mfa) as back up to heat it was once fed back into the engine.

(sorry if considered jacking, just thought about it and is associated to the part you were wondering about!) :redface:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you have a cooler fitted it will read lower overall wether before or after the filter as the overall temp of the oil itself will be lower

sensors running temperature readings are not intel processor quick so i doubt it would make much difference give or take 0.5 of a degree or more

ste4232

Jan 9, 2008
my oil temp used to range from 90 steady driving to 120 (higest one off reading) lapping nurburg ring!!! I fitted oil cooler and never goes past mid 90's now! would recommend to anyone!

i think i will look into additional gauges, i never take my eye off oil temp one as it is

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members